•  

Thanks for the big boost.

imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

May 13, 2013, 08:08 AM

Thanks all for a good weekend of work. Quarry Ridge will be a better place to ride, and I hope my muscles will be ready for the next weekend of trail work.

XXX

May 13, 2013, 10:19 AM

Indeed, special thanks to Tom, Jeff, Greg and Dewayne, and all the volenteers! Looking forward to years of riding on the new trail.

I was beat Sunday morning.

XXX
    singletrackminx

May 13, 2013, 04:35 PM

I'm still sore, but did take some pictures of the process....Cool to see it all come together in the end. Cant wait to ride it!

[attachment deleted by admin]

XXX

May 14, 2013, 09:06 AM

Looking forward to getting out there and checking out these new trails and trying to not get lost...

XXX
    blackbike (Scot E)
    None more black

May 14, 2013, 01:20 PM

I just came from a lunch ride out there.  Guys I am SERIOUSLY IMPRESSED.  QR has improved tremendously in the last two years between all the added xc trail and the TTFs.  The continuation of the reroute of the return really improves the length and fun of the loop.  The new long gradual uphill is very well done and a nice option for all skill levels.  A lot of work and high quality.  THANK YOU!  I'm learning that there's a helluva lot to be said for putting in trails by machine, I can't believe how much work was done and how rideable it already is.

I've noticed that last year's reroute at the bottom of the sandy climb has become a retention pond.  I'd think we could either armor it or just eliminate the first little loop and the problem goes away without really giving up trail.

~ Look up on the wall baby, hand me down my shootin' iron.
    Call your mother long distance, tell her to expect your body home.

XXX
    blackbike (Scot E)
    None more black

May 14, 2013, 01:21 PM

I also note that the new long uphill is going to make for a much nicer fatbike experience in the snow next winter.

XXX
    Bin
    aka Ben

May 14, 2013, 04:41 PM

Where does the new climb begin?  I was out there a couple weeks back and I saw what looked like a branch to the right just before the really rocky/sandy part of the sandy climb but I wasn't sure where that took me and I only had time for one XC loop that day so I decided not to go exploring. 

I'm really excited to go when I have more time now though.

XXX

May 14, 2013, 04:47 PM

Where does the new climb begin?  I was out there a couple weeks back and I saw what looked like a branch to the right just before the really rocky/sandy part of the sandy climb but I wasn't sure where that took me and I only had time for one XC loop that day so I decided not to go exploring. 

I'm really excited to go when I have more time now though.

There's a reroute before the sandy climb and the branches are to discourage new paths or closing some access paths.

The new climb is to the right from the parking lot entrance to the single track.

XXX

May 14, 2013, 05:20 PM

From the talk that was going on during trail work last fall and from what I heard Saturday during work, the new trail cut by the Ditch Witch is intended to be a one way uphill climb.  Due to the trail's points of entry/exit however, and being unmarked, it seems that some riders are riding it as, and arguing that it is, a downhill. 

XXX
    JHenry
    Technical Terrain (TTF) Crew

May 14, 2013, 06:20 PM

Jeff B is working on the permanent signage but maybe some temp signs will sort things out.
    XXX
    dburatti
    Builder of trails. Rider of bikes.

May 14, 2013, 08:52 PM

I'm learning that there's a helluva lot to be said for putting in trails by machine, I can't believe how much work was done and how rideable it already is.

There is a LOT of hand finishing left to do, deberming the down slope side, cutting the back slope in places, broadcasting, masking, dragging brush and stumps away from the trail.  I hope this gets done soon, as surely someone (hiker, dog walker, etc.) will surely have something negative to say about the work.

D

~ I love my job!

XXX

May 14, 2013, 10:17 PM

Thanks for all the compliments and I agree the machine was awesome. I gps'd it today and we added .7 miles of trail last weekend!

However, Dewayne is right everyone. The machine definitely left some scars in the earth that we need to smooth out. Unfortunately I leave for the summer on the 19th, so someone else is going to have to coordinate the trail finishing effort.

For the uphill: De-berm and cut backslope

For everywhere: we need a bunch of people out with rogue hoes taking out bumps.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

May 15, 2013, 08:05 AM

New trails are just awesome.

Question:  Right at the beginning of the XC loop, after you cross over the riverbed, the new trail on the right (so on the south side of the property).....is that a new uphill or new downhill?

XXX
    blackbike (Scot E)
    None more black

May 15, 2013, 09:25 AM

New trails are just awesome.

Question:  Right at the beginning of the XC loop, after you cross over the riverbed, the new trail on the right (so on the south side of the property).....is that a new uphill or new downhill?

Tim - That's the new uphill.  To the right of the hairpin turn at the bottom of the main xc downhill if you're entering from the riverbed - or to the left if you are coming down the downhill (go left and double back, instead of taking the hairpin to the original return trail).

It definitely needs strong signage at the top, because where it rejoins at the top it looks very naturally like a new left turn downhill option.  And someone could get some real speed going down it.  And people who are a little nervous about the swoop-in (right after) may see the new uphill as a beginners way down (which I argue is not needed at this trail system!).

By the way while it may need work - it's an extremely good first pass and it is very rideable.  I singlespeeded up it several times yesterday and it's a long good sustained climb with just a couple of steep-ish bits and nothing technical.

XXX
    singletrackminx

May 15, 2013, 02:48 PM

Man that climb is a bit of a bitch... fun ride though. Signage is definitely needed ASAP, we were a bit lost this afternoon as were 3 other riders...

No one really knew where to go at the bottom of that hairpin turn by the river/ditch crossing when entering the trail from the parking lot. It appears that climb is a downhill and was being ridden as such. At the top of the climb I was honestly lost as to where to go. Assuming its a left hand turn but we ended up on the top of the ridge before realizing we weren't supposed to go that way. It does do a bit better as a downhill for a beginner rather than a climb. That big rocky descent in the original route is very intimidating to newer and even intermediate riders. I'll be honest and say I haven't ridden it and my 'advanced' friends bailed out on it today. Maybe old age and lack of insurance is catching up with us  :o

The one thing I will say about Quarry Ridge is it really needs some signs period, colors or names or something more than advanced/expert/easy signs. Easy to get turned around out there. Hard to tell which trail goes where from the online trail map (prior to the new trail) just an outside/beginner perspective on that one.

In any event the new trail got rave reviews from everyone on a lunch time ride. Really great job! And thanks again for all the hard work!

BTW there is a rogue hoe sitting out on the middle part of that climb. Would've grabbed it but not sure where to put it away...