•  

At what point do you call a rear shock blown out?

Bmoha7311
    Specialized Jeremy

November 08, 2013, 08:21 PM

Any input would be welcome for different brands of frames that are all mountain full suspension and available only as a frame. I'm not really interested in purchasing a complete bike again.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

November 08, 2013, 09:03 PM

Are you planning on staying with a 29er?

XXX
    Bmoha7311
    Specialized Jeremy

November 09, 2013, 12:13 AM

26. Only 26

XXX
    Bmoha7311
    Specialized Jeremy

November 09, 2013, 08:53 AM

I rode 10 miles at Camrock last night. At 275 PSI in the rear shock, which is what it is supposed to be, the bike felt really good. Pretty wild dropping down into the bermed run at Camrock3 in the dark solo!

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

November 09, 2013, 09:08 AM

26. Only 26

Sorry...thought you had a 29er now. What's your budget?

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

November 09, 2013, 09:28 AM

Are you planning on using the stuff from your Stumpy to biuld the new one?

You have a 140mm fork now, right?

XXX
    Bmoha7311
    Specialized Jeremy

November 09, 2013, 10:57 AM

I would like to... but there aren't a ton of frames out there with press fit bottom brackets. I would like to stick to 142X12 rear.
    It's a bit difficult to figure out which frames are available just as frames.
    If I had my preference I'd run coil front and rear. I won't run a frame with goofy one off rear linkage like the Soevialized again.
    Switching air sprung frames to coil spring just isn't possible anymore. Most air spring designed frames are falling rate. Doesn't work with coil spring. You just blow thru the travel at the end of the shock.
    The Norco Truax is inexpensive and coil spring but also doesn't seem to have a great reputation for quality. Not sure where it's made. Same with Nukeproof.
    The Intense UZZI really caught my eye but it's heavy heavy heavy. 9.5 pounds. Not acceptable. I'm not into heavy. Seems that they have had some quality issues as well.
    The Knolly Endorphin and chili frames really seem to have a following even if they look weird. Not sure where they are made.
    The Foes Shaver really piqued my interest. Very interesting. I like the idea of buying a frame made in the US. Easier for warranty issues.
    I am ok with possibly going to more travel. 180mm. So if I have to buy a new fork I have to. CF frame is out of the question.
    I have also looked at Devinci. Seems like it's a Trek. Not sure where it's made.
    I have just started to dig up info on the Pivot.
    I really like the Santa Cruz Heckler. Seems very simple. Stout. Has a great reputation. They are only air spring now.
    Any other that I should look at that are available as frame only?
    My budget is up to $2400 for a frame.
    I currently weigh 265-270. My goal is sub 220. 

XXX
    Bmoha7311
    Specialized Jeremy

November 09, 2013, 11:00 AM

Honestly I am not a fan of the press fit BB. So a new frame would ideally not have it. I have some mysterious creaking on the right side. I think it's the right side press in BB30 bearing moving around. Going to isolate the problem and if it is I'll have to warranty the frame once again. A little annoyed with specialized now. Annoying because I am/was a huge Specialized supporter.

XXX
    Bmoha7311
    Specialized Jeremy

November 09, 2013, 11:02 AM

I do not like a bike to make any noise. It should be silent. Ninja style. If I get a frame with traditional Threaded BB I'll go back to running Saint cranks. I had them on my last mountain bike. They are ridiculously stiff.

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

November 09, 2013, 03:46 PM

My bike with threaded bb squeaks. I still wanted a threaded bb but I ended up getting a press fit anyways. It seems threaded style are becoming harder to find. Maybe ceramic bearings and pack a ton of grease?

XXX
    Bmoha7311
    Specialized Jeremy

November 09, 2013, 03:52 PM

I've never had a continuing squeak with a threaded BB.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

November 09, 2013, 07:21 PM

If you're not opposed to getting a.new fork, look into the Banshee Rune, or Pivot Firebird.

XXX
    Bmoha7311
    Specialized Jeremy

November 09, 2013, 08:04 PM

Was looking at the Pivot Website today. Impressive. I have just looked at The rune in passing.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

November 09, 2013, 08:13 PM

Transition Covert?

XXX
    Bmoha7311
    Specialized Jeremy

November 09, 2013, 09:21 PM

This is another I was looking at. The Transition.