•  

Looking for winter boot recommendations

g
    And last but not least.......

December 13, 2013, 10:54 AM

Ooops.  I see that Rich started this post and we ride enough together that we know each others gear pretty well.  Thought this was for general snowbiking type stuff.

XXX

December 13, 2013, 11:15 AM

Hack: Plastic shopping bag between the shoe cover and the shoe, I'm not sure exactly why that thin layer of plastic makes such a huge difference but it really helps out a lot, it also makes it easier for the tight fitting shoe cover to slide on. I don't even bother cutting a hole for the cleat, on my eggbeaters they click right through the plastic with no issue.

cool tip.  Probably really helps the most for those of us using shoes with vents.  I'm wondering if it's possible to overheat and end up really sweaty doing this since there's no breathability?  Even if this was the case I suppose you could only put the plastic over the front of the shoe where the wind would be hitting.  Also really cool to see what low cost options work and which don't. 

Preventing myself from overheating and then getting wet and cold is my biggest problem.  The solution has been to constantly change out clothing, but I'm looking for more convenient ways to stay at a constant temperature.  I feel like things that keep the wind off, but don't directly heat me up (like taping up my front helmet holes rather than wearing a warmer hat under my helmet) have worked the best.  I think the wind is really the biggest variable that makes it hard to wear one set of clothing for the entire ride.  Riding out to QR from my house is always way colder than riding the trails for instance since I'm moving so much faster.  I realize that steering clear of cotton is probably the most important thing to do, but I've already done that.  I'm guessing a roomy pair of bar mitts or some sort of DIY shield to keep wind off my hands would also be good.  Again, constantly switching out the type/number of gloves works pretty well, but it's just a bit annoying. 

If there's going to be significant amount of hiking I just go with regular snow boots and flats.  In those conditions I don't want to deal with cleats since I want to be able to put a foot out instantly and also not worry about my cleats clogging up with snow.  As the Mayor said, I'd only recommend the regular bike shoes with covers for rides when you know you're going to stay clipped in pretty much the entire time (for me this is light or packed down snow, commuting, etc).  That being said, they do have the advantage that I can easily peal off a shoe cover if things start to overheat.

XXX

December 13, 2013, 12:24 PM

I'm wondering if it's possible to overheat and end up really sweaty doing this since there's no breathability?  Even if this was the case I suppose you could only put the plastic over the front of the shoe where the wind would be hitting.  Also really cool to see what low cost options work and which don't. 

When I tried it with the bag in the shoe, over the sock, my foot got clammy but I've never had an issue with the bag over the shoe.  Maybe after a long enough time the moisture would start to saturate but I've done this for a couple hours before and didn't have a problem.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

December 13, 2013, 01:40 PM

Chuck brought up a good point about booties/overshoes.  They're awesome and work pretty well...until you have to walk in the snow.  They don't offer any real traction, and I ran into a problem where snow would get in between the bootie and the shoe...them melt.  Instant cold/wet feet.

My Lakes are pretty decent shoes.  They're warm enough for any riding I do clipped in the winter. 

I also default to my Salomon winter boots (very similar to Mayor's Columbia recommendo) and flat pedals when the snow is deep or it's especially cold out.  Like G, my feet are usually sweaty in those boots.

XXX

December 13, 2013, 02:55 PM

OK guys I got the fix for you.  Sorel Ice boot liners (pack boots for ice fishing).  I took McCarthy's adive and got a pair of shoes 2 sizes to big (12 us for me) next I got a size 14 boot liner for $5.00, cut out the spd cleat area, slam the shoes in and super warm- for super cheap!!
    Use lace up style commuter shoes cause the ratchet buckel types would be hard to tighten up.  These liners are a tight fit baby, I'll leave them on all season.  I'll take a 3 hour ride next subzero night for testing.
    Find a buddy with big feet and buy his stinky old shoes for cheap!

XXX

December 13, 2013, 03:37 PM

OK guys I got the fix for you.  Sorel Ice boot liners (pack boots for ice fishing).  I took McCarthy's adive and got a pair of shoes 2 sizes to big (12 us for me) next I got a size 14 boot liner for $5.00, cut out the spd cleat area, slam the shoes in and super warm- for super cheap!!

Glad you found a solution.  Where'd you get the liners?  Are these originally meant to be worn on the inside of a large boot?

« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 03:38 PM by mccarthy »

XXX XXX

January 06, 2014, 08:53 PM

Wade- those are them.  Generic and cheap as Canadian Hunter Whiskey.  Order online.  Got mine at Dorn hardware in madison, but it is hard to find these and probably impossible with the weather.

To improve snow hiking traction add strips of Shoe Goo to the bottom, this improves dancing safety also.

XXX

January 10, 2014, 12:13 PM

Rode early in the week when it was -10 without windchill, for 2 hours- feet stayed warm.  Used chopper mits and hands where warm ($15 farm and fleet).  Wind proof underwear (Craft), expensive but didn't freeze the wang tip.  Cheap works, but by the good stuff if you got the cash.