•  

Go ride!

February 03, 2014, 08:37 AM

greg, you used a downhill ski?  telemark bindings?

XXX

February 04, 2014, 02:28 PM

conditions are perfect right now, super packed and fast!

XXX

February 13, 2014, 12:14 PM

Yesterday was great! Fast, almost too fast  ;D

XXX

February 13, 2014, 02:36 PM

got first tracks on the new snow and it was a bit sketchy but there where four of us out there so things should be good now  :)

XXX

February 18, 2014, 02:42 PM

after yesterdays snow trails are tough going again. But with this warm weather conditions are great for getting the trails packed. Just a couple laps should do it. I got around the uphill and downhill twice but skipped on the xc loop.  :)

XXX

February 18, 2014, 03:37 PM

Fear not, we're hauling a bunch of snow shoers out there tomorrow night, should be about 8-10 of us in total.  We'll be hitting the trails at 6 if you want to join in.

XXX

February 21, 2014, 10:44 PM

Anyone been out recently?  Is everything really icy?

XXX

February 23, 2014, 05:33 PM

To answer my own question:

Conditions are AMAZING!

I rode everything once and most things 2 or more times.  That includes the ambulance climb. sandy climb, and beginning section of the new loop which are all totally rideable without walking.  Descents were sometimes a bit frightening for me due to the fast/slick/choppy hard packed snow, but totally doable.  There is a tree that fell down in the bottom of the sandy bowl blocking the path although it looks like people are riding an alternate route that exits the bowl in a different place (off to the left) to avoid it.

Many sections of the southwest commuter path are waaay more icy/treacherous than the trails at QR, and personally I don't think I would be skilled enough to ride them safely without studs due to large sections of rutted glare ice.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 05:37 PM by mccarthy »

XXX

February 24, 2014, 08:31 AM

trails are packed and fast, however some d-bag and his dog walked most of the trails after the snowshoe stomp and rain last week so it's a bit rough in areas with boot tracks.  nothing other than that to complain about, should be a good week to ride QR

XXX

February 25, 2014, 03:19 PM

exactly, super fast but man you get bumped around a bit. I wonder if taking a rake to the trail or something would help. looks like friday saturday we're going to get a little more snow, that should help fill in the holes too. Pretty sure he hiked the whole place  >:(
    looks about a size 10

XXX

February 26, 2014, 10:35 AM

spoke with a guy this morning who's buddy just rode Camrock and same thing..........deep boot tracks over the whole trail, made for a very rough ride.  not sure there's much we'll ever be able to do about this.   Perhaps a basic sign to post at trail heads in the winter asking hikers to stay off trails if snow is soft or wet. ????  don't know

XXX

February 26, 2014, 10:44 AM

punji sticks?

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

February 26, 2014, 01:48 PM

spoke with a guy this morning who's buddy just rode Camrock and same thing..........deep boot tracks over the whole trail, made for a very rough ride.  not sure there's much we'll ever be able to do about this.   Perhaps a basic sign to post at trail heads in the winter asking hikers to stay off trails if snow is soft or wet. ????  don't know
    Funny I just got off the trails and thought it was awesome. The best conditions have been all year!
    Sure there are some sections with boot tracks. There are also sections with lots of deer tracks and they are a bigger headache because they are deep. There are also more sections where it is pure heaven and smooth riding. Maybe running a Bud in front with 8 PSI made for my cushy ride and my perspective?

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

February 26, 2014, 02:55 PM

If I remember right, the trails are open to all users.  If you put up a sign to ask people to not walk there, they will be the first to say the trails shouldn't be open in the winter.  The more people using the trails and enjoying them, the more allies you can have in the future when looking to build more. 

Maybe it's time to realize that it's a mountain bike and just sack up and ride.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

February 26, 2014, 03:16 PM

If I remember right, the trails are open to all users.  If you put up a sign to ask people to not walk there, they will be the first to say the trails shouldn't be open in the winter.  The more people using the trails and enjoying them, the more allies you can have in the future when looking to build more. 

Maybe it's time to realize that it's a mountain bike and just sack up and ride.

I tend to agree with this.