•  

Farm Update

farmguy
    Trail Steward - The Farm

July 12, 2014, 08:52 AM

Hey Thom and Frank, thanks for all your help. I've been having a pretty hectic summer so far. Been pretty busy with family stuff. Son was home from NY and daughter home from AZ for several weeks. Not complaining, just saying not much bike time. Things should get back to normal in another week or so, depending on when Jamie and family go back.

~ Here uncultivated acres wait prime for adventure....back 40

XXX

July 12, 2014, 05:44 PM

FWIW, "Greg's Rip and Ride" was a pretty big mess. Note the itty bitty saw on the left.

From previous description: sounds like there are two logs left to clear.

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    Trail Steward
    To Be A Man...

July 20, 2014, 09:02 PM

"Notice the itty bitty saw..."

At least it's a Stihl.

That was a big mess. I think people don't know how much work is involved. That had to take at least an hour cutting plus walking out and back carrying the saw, plus the drive. And lots of grunting. Those logs are heavy and they don't magically jump off the trail when cut.

Thanks,
    Walt

XXX

July 22, 2014, 07:12 AM

The only good news I have is the stuff that got trimmed a few week ago is still in good condition.  My ride yesterday was more of a hike as there was numerous branches down on the trail.  There is at least 12-15 trees down that will need some chainsaw work.  I lost count after awhile.  The South loop still needs to be finished trimming.  The connector trail was not visible and desperately needs a mowing.  I rode through it with some of the grass and weeds up to my elbows.  I'll try and get the South loop trimmed this week once I get permission from Greg to park at his place.  I've got an offer from newguy (you'll have to post up your name) to help and maybe the two of us can get together and take care of all the trees.  Thom.

XXX
    newguy

July 22, 2014, 10:36 PM

Hey Thom,

I would be glad to get out there and help. I don't have a whole lot in the way of tools right now, a folding hand saw, wheelbarrow, push lawnmower, probably some rakes and shovels. Let me know when you plan to head out there. My name is Joel, by the way.

XXX

July 24, 2014, 06:20 AM

I had planned on getting out yesterday afternoon but my truck started giving me problems.  If my issues get resolved today,  I might try and get out there this afternoon.  Otherwise,  I'll try and get something going for Saturday morning. 

XXX

July 26, 2014, 06:37 AM

Sorry Joel and Kevin about the uncertainty of getting something going.  I really appreciate the offers to help and hope to meet both of you soon.  My truck started to have issues and I took it in on Thursday to get fixed.  Spent $260 to fix it and then ended up trading it in on Friday for a new vehicle.  I was at the dealership late yesterday and was unsure of my plans for today.  I plan on being at the north loop by 10am to clear all the down trees there.  Depending on the time,  I may head over to Greg's and see if I can do some work on the south loop.  My number is 7one2-six38six.  I don't have voice mail on this phone so if I don't answer and you want to leave a message you'll have to text me.

XXX

July 26, 2014, 07:32 AM

Distance wise, I got 90% of the north loop cleared. Head into it backwards and you'll get to the uncleared bits faster.

XXX

July 26, 2014, 02:20 PM

I walked the north loop backwards and cleared 8 trees from the trail.  Thanks Greg for mowing the connector.  Now to get back out and clear the south loop.

XXX
    farmguy
    Trail Steward - The Farm

August 15, 2014, 09:33 PM

I finally got out and weedwacked the south loop this past week and a half. Went out tonight and cleared 6 logs that I could remember. So the south loop should be ridable although I didn't get a chance to ride it myself yet.

I know Spike (aka Jay) was out 2 weekends ago. Maybe he can chime in about conditions on the north loop.

Will try to get out for a ride one of these first nights and give an update.

XXX

August 16, 2014, 09:09 AM

Been so busy at work my memory of riding 2 weeks ago is fading, seems like the North side was clear but, unfortunately by there is sure to be some tree falls  :(

Jay

XXX
    farmguy
    Trail Steward - The Farm

August 20, 2014, 10:33 PM

I got out for a ride tonight. Everything is clear and good to go. Probably the worst part is the connector that has some tall weeds on the side that are falling over into the trail. I will try to get out and cut them one of these first days.

The trail really needs riders.  The south loop has grass and weeds growing in the thread line in places. Making the line feel soft and with more rolling resistence. Feels more like in the early spring before the trail firms up. The north loop was much drier and firmer making it roll much easier.

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

August 26, 2014, 07:25 PM

I got out for a ride tonight. Everything is clear and good to go. Probably the worst part is the connector that has some tall weeds on the side that are falling over into the trail. I will try to get out and cut them one of these first days.

The trail really needs riders.  The south loop has grass and weeds growing in the thread line in places. Making the line feel soft and with more rolling resistence. Feels more like in the early spring before the trail firms up. The north loop was much drier and firmer making it roll much easier.
    Greg, any idea if the trails will be rideable by Wednesday evening? Thinking about helping with your problem of getting riders on the trail. :)

XXX
    farmguy
    Trail Steward - The Farm

August 26, 2014, 09:59 PM

If we don't get anymore rain I would think they will be OK.

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

August 28, 2014, 09:28 AM

Things were a bit loose and had some mud pack in the tires, overall a decent ride. Only rode the N loop. I think two trees down, about halfway around, and one on a sharp, downhill switchback turn to the right. We pulled a bunch of debris off the trail.