•  

Picture of the Big Sister Drop

February 19, 2012, 05:42 PM

Took this picture in 2010 after we built a new landing and berm for the Big Sister drop at Quarry Ridge. In 2012 we need to shore up the woodwork as it is starting to get a little wobbly.

[attachment deleted by admin]

XXX

February 20, 2012, 12:28 AM

I also am nearly finished with that big jump finally. Hoping to cut the brush blocking the landing and buff it out in the spring. Then we'll really have a sender! Always gotta have something to work towards! Here's the video we made a few years ago to see if that works. Do youtube videos play without navigating away from this website?

XXX

February 20, 2012, 12:28 AM

Yep! Sweet!

XXX

March 01, 2012, 08:48 PM

Very cool

~ Burn rubber

XXX

March 01, 2012, 11:26 PM

NICE!!!

XXX
    JM

March 02, 2012, 10:41 AM

The big sister will be replaced this spring.
    JM

XXX

March 02, 2012, 11:40 AM

If we're replacing it we should move it up the hill and/or make it not angled upward so you don't land completely flat. Ansel came up with a good strategy of pre-jumping about halfway along the drop so you would land in the correct spot but that's not practical or safe for beginner riders.

Any comments or opposition?

XXX

March 02, 2012, 11:45 AM

To see what I'm talking about, check out the video. If you look closely I pretty much had to bar hump the bike and land way back on my rear tire to absorb the impact. That was also shot right after my chain broke, so I wasn't going full speed either, just rolled in from the top.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 11:46 AM by Tom Holaday »

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

March 03, 2012, 10:57 AM

I also am nearly finished with that big jump finally. Hoping to cut the brush blocking the landing and buff it out in the spring. Then we'll really have a sender! Always gotta have something to work towards! Here's the video we made a few years ago to see if that works. Do youtube videos play without navigating away from this website?

ZEBRAHEAD rocks!

XXX

March 03, 2012, 09:30 PM

Yep.

XXX
    JM

March 05, 2012, 10:32 AM

Those  were never to be angled, probally a problem when it was move. Those are ment to be drops not jumps so it wll be flat

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 08:05 AM by JM »

XXX

March 05, 2012, 11:11 AM

I figured. It's not angled much but its enough to launch you a little too much

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk

XXX

March 07, 2012, 11:48 AM

I would not be opposed to seeing an actual dirt landing in place as I ride a hardtail and don't feel like landing flat at speed from 10ft up unless it's on concrete!

XXX

March 07, 2012, 03:13 PM

Thats the problem... theres no good dirt around to build up a good landing so the only option is to change the drop unless someone has a skid steer

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk

XXX

March 08, 2012, 02:34 AM

The real issue is the flow of the trail immediately before and immediately after. The feature on it's own is fine, it just doesn't match the speed of the trail.