•  

Midwest Bicycle Show and Sale

augs
    Former President
    Board Member

February 22, 2015, 08:14 PM

The Midwest Bicycle Show and Sale (formerly Bike-O-Rama) ( http://bikeorama.com/bikeorama/) is soon upon us.  The event is expanded into the next building over, so we will have a whole table, less crowding, and more visibility.  We will need a bunch of volunteers to help staff the table.  I've set up a Doodle poll to try to fill the times in an orderly fashion: http://doodle.com/yfex8bbnezh4vnnu.  I would like to see at least two of us signed up for each time slot; feel free to sign up for as many as you want!  It is a great chance see all the new stuff coming out this year, and to generally immerse yourself in bike-ness.  As always, admission is free.

Another new feature is a presentation area; if anyone is interested in putting together any sort of slideshow or information session, let me know.

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

March 01, 2015, 08:36 PM

Over 200 views, and four people signed up?  That is pathetic, folks!  I know it is a long way to plan ahead, and commitment is difficult for all of us, but it makes the lives of those who organize these sorts of things much easier if you can sign up early and sign up often.

The skills required are basic, and the duties not terribly challenging (for most of us, anyway).  You just need to be excited about local riding, and able to be friendly for a couple hours.

XXX

March 02, 2015, 09:01 AM

signed up for Sat AM.  just let me know what I need to do, if anything special, to open the booth.

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

March 02, 2015, 05:45 PM

I've never been to it, is there a primer somewhere for what's expected, location of our booth, etc.?

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

March 03, 2015, 08:58 PM

Our booth should be easy to find; the area isn't that big.  They are assigning spaces this year, so there may be some kind of map available the day of, but even if there isn't, we will be easy to find.

As far as what to do, there isn't much to it.  Just try not to scare anyone away.  If you have CORP-wear, wear it.  There will be some material around intended to pique people's interest.  Then just be friendly and answer any questions.  If we can talk people into joining, that is ideal, but just letting people know who we are and what we do is important.  We are planning to have a way for folks to join via their own mobile devices, and paper forms for those so inclined.  I am also planning on putting together a couple of cheat sheets to remind volunteers what all we have going on, and some selling points on joining us/IMBA.

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

March 04, 2015, 08:55 PM

Also, Michelle, our regional rep from IMBA, with some help from a couple of us, will be doing a presentation Sunday at 1:00.  If you or someone you know is interested in learning more about them, and us, that will be a good chance. 

And if that isn't enough, Canoecopia will be going on in the big convention building.  So if paddle sports are one of your alternative activities, you can make a whole day of it.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

March 05, 2015, 09:49 AM

Thanks for taking on getting this organized Jon. This is important stuff.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

March 08, 2015, 09:07 PM

Thanks to everyone who has signed up.  We are pretty well covered for Friday and Sunday, but could still use some help Saturday afternoon.  The spring thaw is going to prevent any riding next weekend, so you may as well come out and hang out amongst the bike stuff.  Better yet, ride to the show.  A little fresh air and exercise, skip the county's parking fee, and help out the club:  win, win, win!

Our table will be next to the Friends of the Badger State Trail's table, with whom we have a little member overlap as well as common interest, so if someone needs to run and his or her nose, we can cover for each other.

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

March 11, 2015, 11:02 PM

I see I have not mentioned where this event takes place.  For those of you unfamiliar with the Bike-O-Ramas of the past, it happens at the Alliant Energy Center.  This year brings a new name and expansion into a second building.  The main function of the event is selling bikes and accessories, mainly (maybe only?) by the Budget Bicycle Center empire and it's suppliers; lots of close-outs, along with the latest stuff.  There has always been an advocacy aspect, but it was sort of crowded and haphazard.  This year the advocacy area is in the new building, so there is more room, but also the addition of two presentation stages, so we should be able to reach a few more people.

It is a bike-y good time; you should come out.

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

March 13, 2015, 08:41 AM

Jeff Lenosky asked for some help when he does his trials show. It's always a fun time and a chance to support CORP too. CORP cards will be at our table.

Thank you.