•  

Name that trail! - Trail name nominations requested

May 02, 2014, 09:39 AM

Still voting for Irish Flipflop for D.

XXX

May 05, 2014, 05:05 PM

I'm pretty sure it is, I second or third "the irish flip flop" for trail D

Greg and I found that flip flop along where we were scouting the new trail and putting up the first set of flags. I have it wedged between a couple branches about mid way through that section but you're usually too focused on the trail to look at it. Seems fitting.

XXX
    Bin
    aka Ben

May 06, 2014, 08:59 AM

I would guess that the trouble with "Irish Flip Flop" is that it sounds like some sort of obscure racial slur if you don't know that it refers to rogue footwear found on the trail.  without the backstory it sounds weird at best and offensive at worst. 

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

May 06, 2014, 01:04 PM

I would guess that the trouble with "Irish Flip Flop" is that it sounds like some sort of obscure racial slur if you don't know that it refers to rogue footwear found on the trail.  without the backstory it sounds weird at best and offensive at worst.
    I have to say I was thinking the same when reading this. Either a slur or an insult to Notre Dame. Until I saw the post about an actual flip-flop. Too PC?

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

May 06, 2014, 08:23 PM

Seriously, people are reading it that way? Can we cut the sign in the shape of a flip flop? Plus, I want to know what a flip flop is if it's not referring to either a hub or footwear!

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

May 06, 2014, 10:11 PM

I like the trail names in Marquette, and I didn't lie when I reported riding Your Mom was thrilling, but also pretty hard on a few of us.

A. Sandy Climb - From picnic bench to top of hill.
    B. (Quickie) - Downhill from top to concrete bridge/dam.
    C. (Spandex) - New uphill from concrete bridge/dam to the top of hill.
    D. (Tipsy) - Twisty trail from the concrete bridge/dam to the picnic table.
    E. (Hairy Go Round - Lake Trail has been proposed) - New beginner trail built this fall from the picnic table to the concrete bridge/dam.
    F. Three Sisters - The jump line next to the Sandy Climb.
    G. Sandy Bowl - The name says it all.
    H. Tunnel Trail - The trail leading off of the main downhill run with jumps and the famous wood wall.
    I. Ambulance Trail - Steep uphill in the downhill area.
    J. (Ritalin, Hole Shot, Short Stop, Slot, I need to ride it some more.) - New downhill trail to be built in spring 2014 with a bridge over the main downhill.

XXX

May 07, 2014, 08:48 AM

I like the trail names in Marquette, and I didn't lie when I reported riding Your Mom was thrilling, but also pretty hard on a few of us.

B. (Quickie) - Downhill from top to concrete bridge/dam.
    C. (Spandex) - New uphill from concrete bridge/dam to the top of hill.
    D. (Tipsy) - Twisty trail from the concrete bridge/dam to the picnic table.
    E. (Hairy Go Round - Lake Trail has been proposed) - New beginner trail built this fall from the picnic table to the concrete bridge/dam.
    H. Tunnel Trail - The trail leading off of the main downhill run with jumps and the famous wood wall.
    I. Ambulance Trail - Steep uphill in the downhill area.
    J. (Ritalin, Hole Shot, Short Stop, Slot, I need to ride it some more.) - New downhill trail to be built in spring 2014 with a bridge over the main downhill.

C. (New Uphill) New uphill
    E. (Waterfront Stretch) or (Home Stretch) picnic table to concrete bridge.  Its fast and its the finish to the loop.
    D. (Dizzy) someone gave it this name on Strava, go fast enough with all those switchbacks and you do get dizzy.
    All the others I ride are named already

~ Burn rubber

XXX
    Bin
    aka Ben

May 07, 2014, 12:50 PM

Plus, I want to know what a flip flop is if it's not referring to either a hub or footwear!

flip flop is often used with a negative connotation in political discussions for indecisiveness, changing your stance on an issue, etc.   

XXX

May 07, 2014, 01:39 PM

Maybe the question to be asked is if a trail system this small really needs that many names.  Or would that ruin it for the Strava users?

XXX

May 07, 2014, 01:41 PM

such a beautiful thing  ;)

XXX

May 19, 2014, 01:42 PM

I guess I should check the forums occasionally.

Here are the final names:
    B. Bottoms Up - Downhill from top to concrete bridge/dam.
    C. Rewind - New uphill from concrete bridge/dam to the top of hill.
    D. Dizzy - Twisty trail from the concrete bridge/dam to the picnic table.
    E. Lakeview - Lake Trail has been proposed) - New beginner trail built this fall from the picnic table to the concrete bridge/dam.
    I. Ambulance Climb - Steep uphill in the downhill area.
    J. Drop Zone - New downhill trail to be built in spring 2014 with a bridge over the main downhill.
    New - B. Line - New downhill between Three Sisters and Ambulance Climb.

The trails need names because I'm working on getting new signs and maps. All the trails will have signs and trail names clearly visible, plus kiosks at a few key spots in the trail. It's a lot easier to describe something with a name!

XXX
    Renegade Rick
    Webmaster
    Administrator

June 02, 2014, 07:14 AM

Awesome. Thanks for making a decision on this Jeff, and for everything you do for the trails.

XXX

August 03, 2014, 11:54 AM

FYI - signs and posts have been ordered and should be arriving early this month. We may need some help to get all ~60 signs installed.

XXX

August 17, 2014, 06:06 PM

All signs and materials are here. I'm going to be out there Monday (8/18) walking around installing them. If anyone has some free time, I could use some help hauling all the signposts everywhere, pounding them in the ground, and applying stickers.

XXX
    Brett.Oesterle

August 17, 2014, 10:24 PM

What time are you planning to head out to Quarry Ridge? I should be free most of the afternoon.