•  

Bluemounds Work N' Ride This Sat. 9:00 a.m.

Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

July 12, 2013, 11:00 AM

Good News:  Bluemounds is Finally Open!

Bad News:   Because of this year's monsoon season, we have not been able to do any significant maintenance; the trails are overgrown and in bad need of TLC.

Solution = Come out tomorrow morning to help get Bluemounds in rideable condition and stay for an inaugural group ride.  The more people that show up, the quicker things get done and the sooner we can be on the trail!

UPDATE:  Thanks to those that came out Saturday. The five of us spent 3.5 hrS trimming -and cutting back overgrown sections of the trail.  We got a good chunk of work done- but there is still a ton to do.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 11:32 AM by Tim Barber »

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

July 12, 2013, 11:03 AM

I'll be there.

XXX

July 12, 2013, 12:01 PM

What time?

I'm already pretty heavily scheduled for this weekend; but would like to help.  I can probably squeeze in an hour of trail-work.

Kevin

XXX

July 12, 2013, 12:51 PM

Count me in for 2-3 hours.

XXX

July 12, 2013, 01:12 PM

Darn, would have liked to help but will be at Standing Rock this weekend! Keep these invitations coming, it's very helpful to get invited via email.

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

July 12, 2013, 01:36 PM

Keep these invitations coming, it's very helpful to get invited via email.

Good to know

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

July 12, 2013, 03:24 PM

Lets meet at 9:00 a.m. in the pool parking lot by the hose station.

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

July 12, 2013, 07:35 PM

I picked up the Steihl weed Wacker and branch lopper. Also got a bunch of Manual loppers,
    a few rogue hoes a rake Some pick axes and both straight and mixed gas~ and a and a Saw. hopefully that is enough.

XXX

July 12, 2013, 07:58 PM

I'm going to try to make it. I've got 4 Stihl brushcutters, they have the sting blades on them now but its a 10 minute swap and I have tri-blades (ideal for cutting bramble sized stuff) and saw blades. Also could bring a couple chain saws, some hand tools.

I was out that way earlier this week. I stopped along Ryan Road and walked the trail a bit back towards the mound. Pretty washed out not far past where the trail peels away from the road, that section has been bad for a while but with all the rain this year and the complete lack of vegetation under those weedy maples, its totally washed out now. Only 50-100 ft needs re-routing.

XXX

July 12, 2013, 09:25 PM

I will be there at 0900.  Bill Braun  (login Beel)

XXX

July 13, 2013, 09:04 AM

Busy morning. OMW. Got some gear.

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    Trail Steward
    To Be A Man...

July 13, 2013, 09:17 PM

Thanks to all who showed up and worked on getting the trails in shape.

Sorry I could not be there in the morning. I walked the chain saw through Over Lode in the afternoon. There was one large tree down on the upper trail. I cut that away, then got everything else up to the Ryan Road crossing.

The first and third crossings are washed out and no longer rideable. Please be careful!

There is a lot more work to be done to bring the trails back to good riding conditions.

Walt

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

July 14, 2013, 10:30 AM

ThankS to those that came at yesterday. The five of us spent 3.5 hrS trimming -and cutting back overgrown sections of the trail ' We got a good chunk of work done- but there is still a ton to do

XXX

July 15, 2013, 11:55 AM

Thanks guys! We could not make it, but enjoyed the clearer trails on Sunday. let's keep doing these smaller work/ride events........I think they help to keep the momentum up.

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    Trail Steward
    To Be A Man...

July 21, 2013, 08:23 AM

A huge thanks to Tim for dropping everything last weekend to make this happen.

Next time around we will give more notice, and I'll be responsible for rounding up tools.

After only a week and 2 days of trail work, the trails are in significantly better shape. Over Lode's washed out crossings are patched up (Gary and me), the down trees are gone, and the weed growth is cut back. Chert Dip and Serpentine Climb are in good condition (still a couple of trees down), and the first mile or so of Holy Schist is cut back.

There is still a lot of basic maintenance to do, but we have made a good start. Thanks to everyone who has pitched in!

Walt