•  

Phone first

November 18, 2012, 12:23 PM

In case you missed it above, the number to Blue Mounds is 437-5711. This seems to be the most reliable way to find out if the trails are open, short of driving out there. They seem to be making decisions through out the day. I appreciate this info, even if I feel they should be open,like this morning. If there is nobody in the office there will be a taped message. Obeying the staffs open/closed decision will keep riders in their good graces. I think calling before driving out there is relatively painless. Also, calling and talking to a park employee might show the interest and usage level of the park by off-road riders. Be kind.

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

November 18, 2012, 09:54 PM

Excellent advice, Mike.  I couldn't agree more.  Riding when the trails are in bad condition is dangerous, harmful to the trails, and your bike gets coated in mud.  It's lose, lose, lose.   Please err on the side of caution, even if the trails are marked as open.  Also, helping educate fellow riders (like you are doing with this post) should be a primary mission of club members.  It doesn't make sense to promote mountain biking in our area if we don't also promote trail riding etiquette at the same time... in a way that makes sense and doesn't come across as overbearing or elitist.  Even the most sustainably-minded trails will wear prematurely when ridden when conditions are unfavorable.

That said, I think the majority of people who ride are capable of making rational decisions, even if it means they don't get to ride that day.  It's the few who don't know any better, or don't care.  I think it's possible to reason with both types.

On a related note, I rode at Kettles this afternoon and evening, and found the opposite.  Despite the recording saying the trails were open and in mostly good condition, the actual finding was somewhat different.  In places I felt like it was borderline that the trails should have been open, or that I should be riding on them.  If it was any worse, I would have sought out the quickest way back to the parking lot.  It was a judgement call, which is really all you can ask of people.