•  

Awesome Ride at Blue Mound!

TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

January 09, 2013, 11:53 PM

Got out to Blue Mounds for a ride late this afternoon. I wanted to test my wrist and see if I could ride now that I found out it is not broken. And I had business out toward Prairie du Chien. So the easy trail to ride and test your body is Blue Mound ;)

This was an awesome ride. A totally different trail in the winter. Smooth, fast, less-technical......dare I say easy ??? I actually realized that the climbs on Chert and Schist are not that steep. They are just so full of rocks and so technical when not covered in snow that they seem that way!

The snow is in perfect shape yet. Let's hope it holds up. I rode Chert Dip, through Serpentine, and about 3/4 of a mile into Holy Schist. With light fading, and only an emergency light, I had to make a choice and turned back.

Holy Schist was ridable to me. The trail was narrower but pretty well packed. More technical, but ridable. I only saw other bike tracks for maybe a couple hundred feet. Actually the part of the trail that is messed up. The shoe tracks at the start of Schist got off the trail because of the downed trees/brush. The trail actually gets better a little way in where they found the trail again.

So the question is: who is going to be the first to ride all the way around the Mound this winter? I kind of wish I would have gone for it. But my bum wrist was starting to ache, fading light, and no other bike tracks made me take the cautious option for once. I don't do that too often :o

~ Chuck Hutchens