•  

Trail Groomer.....

February 20, 2015, 03:41 PM

This may have happened today..... details once I get it dialed.

XXX

February 21, 2015, 04:13 PM

So I made a lap on both loops on Friday and today did two laps on the inner and one on the outer. I think it's helping. You guy's will have to let me know if you can tell any difference. At least there is a consistant width trail the whole way now.

At Seminole*

It still needs a lot of tweaking, but it's getting there..... let me know if you guys have any suggestions.

from this....

to this.....

then this......

« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 10:10 PM by RaleighX »

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

February 22, 2015, 12:46 AM

Let us know how it works out. It is the first time I have seen a bike-pulled groomer.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

February 22, 2015, 04:45 PM

Nice work!  I didn't see your thread earlier, but just discovered your work in the Seminole loops.  It's a nice width, and it really help keep the pedals from striking the edges of the trough we were riding in.  I think it will need to be heavier to really pack the trail down, but it did a good job of grooming what's there.

XXX

February 22, 2015, 09:47 PM

good to hear you noticed at least....The snow also hasn't been packy at all when I did it. I hope to make it out Tuesday when it's warmer.

Not shown in the picture is the weights ( two old rotors) that are 17.5 lbs each. The whole thing probably weighs around 50.

XXX

February 23, 2015, 09:06 AM

the other super cool part about this is it has quick release wheels so we can ride it out to the trail. Also have a top secret pulling bike :)
    Nice work man!

XXX

February 26, 2015, 09:08 AM

New hitch vs. old "hitch"

much better....

XXX

March 02, 2015, 02:01 PM

Went out and did the main loop at Quarry Ridge at lunch.... it was hard as a first pass, but it definitely helped. It is now a consistant 22'' wide. I am going to try and go again tomorrow.

XXX

March 03, 2015, 12:41 PM

A better look at what it looks like towing it to the trail..

XXX

March 03, 2015, 02:07 PM

this is really cool - it's been interesting watching your progress.

I'm curious about how you pull this thing when you're grooming.  I'm guessing it depends on the current state of the trail, but does it stay on the bike and if so are you mostly walking or riding?

XXX

March 03, 2015, 03:14 PM

this is really cool - it's been interesting watching your progress.

I'm curious about how you pull this thing when you're grooming.  I'm guessing it depends on the current state of the trail, but does it stay on the bike and if so are you mostly walking or riding?

It gets pulled with the bike pictured, pull two pins on the hitch, pop off the wheels and I am grooming in less than a minute....walking would be far too slow. It's not your average fat bike however... ;)

XXX

March 03, 2015, 03:25 PM

... front hub motor?

XXX

March 03, 2015, 04:54 PM

XXX

March 04, 2015, 11:18 AM

Is was harder to notice your efforts at Semi where some of us put in a lot of time snowshowing before you built the grommer, but at QR where a lot of people have been riding in the same tread lately, your groomer made a huge difference.  Very nicely done. 

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

March 04, 2015, 11:27 AM

QR was likely a different groomer...depending on when you rode there. Jeff has been out at QR with his new motorized unit.