•  

Spring Work Days

Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

March 06, 2012, 06:10 AM

Saturday April 14th 9AM to 1PM
    Saturday April 28th 9AM to 1PM

Also May 19th or 20th, to be determined.

Edit/ May 19th is a Cam-Rock work day, so Blue Mound's work day will be on May 20th /Edit

Due to the DNR review of our status, we will be doing all trail maintenance this year, no new trail construction for the first time ever.

I'm thinking that the time will be best spent rebuilding streambed crossings, plus some deberming.

Crossings most in need of an upgrade in my opinion are:

-the big one on the climb out of Chert Dip. Too many small, tippy rocks.
    -the mud hole on Pokerville just downhill from the park garage.
    -on Holy Schist, at the spot where the old race bail out was. Another mud hole.

Deberming is needed in a number of places. The long downhills into Holy Schist, in the first 1.5 miles come to mind.

Anyone else have an opinion on where maintenance is needed most?

I'm ruling out major work in the area just below the trail head. It definitely needs help, but I think the only way to fix it right is to dig it out and fill with gravel, something we will need machinery to do efficiently. Also, I'd like to raise the possibility of completely rerouting the trail head, but this isn't the time to bring the issue up.

There are places farther out in Holy Schist that could use some minor reroutes. I'm thinking to leave reroute work for a later date, after the dust from the DNR review settles. The major reroute in Over Lode is on hold for the same reason.

Walt

« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 06:50 AM by Walt Hougas »

XXX
    blackbike (Scot E)
    None more black

March 06, 2012, 02:53 PM

FWIW April 28 is BALLS

~ Look up on the wall baby, hand me down my shootin' iron.
    Call your mother long distance, tell her to expect your body home.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

March 06, 2012, 03:12 PM

Does someone out there have the full schedule? I entered all of this onto our home calendar, and it has somehow vanished.
    We should also get this info posted on this lovely new Forum :)

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

March 06, 2012, 04:15 PM

Walt, can we also build berms on some of those 180 turns on overlode like we had talked about a year or 2 ago? I think that counts as maintinence

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

March 06, 2012, 06:28 PM

Does someone out there have the full schedule? I entered all of this onto our home calendar, and it has somehow vanished.
    We should also get this info posted on this lovely new Forum :)

This is what I lassoed out of the old forum and into a note.

March 31st(Saturday)CR
    April 7 (Saturday vs Easter)QR
    April 14, 15 BM
    April 21, 22 PV
    April 28, 29 BM
    May 5,6 CR
    May 12 (Saturday vs Mother's Day) PV
    May 19, 20 CR, BM
    May 26, 27 QR

Walt, can we also build berms on some of those 180 turns on overlode like we had talked about a year or 2 ago? I think that counts as maintinence

Yeah, all the turns have needed some love for a few years but on the whole the area has held up well.

I remember a few weekends of Walt and I working on the turns by ourselves and Garett (RIP) showing up. Wow did his help make a difference and wow do I miss him. The club is doing well these days but I'll not forget when one of our meetings was just Garett and I showing up at the brewery.

For those who did not know Garett: Garett Kipp was our race director for several years and one of the stalwarts you owe thanks to if you ride bikes in Dane County. It might be understatement to say he was as good as people get.

:)

[attachment deleted by admin]

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

March 10, 2012, 06:46 AM

FWIW April 28 is BALLS

So is the 29th. Have a nice ride.

Walt

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

March 10, 2012, 06:57 AM

I forgot about the berms for Over Lode! Do you have any links I could use to read up on design? I'd really like to build these in a way that doesn't funnel water down the turn if that's possible. I have some ideas, but would like to see how others have approached this.

Walt

XXX

March 10, 2012, 05:35 PM

I'll look for examples

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk