•  

Sing to me, my chain saw

Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

July 27, 2012, 07:21 AM

4 trees on Pokerville:

Down the slope directly below the garage, clustered together.

Big one, crown on trail
    Smaller one, trunk only.
    Butt end of tree sticking into trail at head height (1/2 tree score, too easy)
    And around the bend, the tip of a dead tree hanging into the edge of the trail (1/2 tree score)
    Down slope again, below the power line cut, a big tree crown on trail. Much cutting and dragging.

1 tree on the Beginner Section, just past the 1st gravel road crossing.

7 trees on Over Lode:

Big one (more than 18" in diameter) on the upper trail, hung up.
    Two at the top of the first big downhill, one was hung up.
    One on the first big climb, crown on trail. Major PITA.
    Three clustered together after the second ravine crossing. Should have been easy but it was getting dark and I trapped the bar twice on the same tree because I couldn't see what I was doing any more.

That's 12 down, about 8 more to go.

Walt

XXX
    Nelson
    Former Club President
    I ride bikes

July 27, 2012, 07:44 AM

You are a machine Walt. An honorary lumberjack.

~ i like social d

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

July 27, 2012, 08:55 AM

He's a lumberjack and he's o.k.

we wears women's clothes .......

XXX
    Q
    Bonner

July 27, 2012, 09:39 AM

Well done! Some of those bastards on Over Lode were pretty huge. Is the one on Holy Schist new, or has that big boy been there a while?

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

July 27, 2012, 12:24 PM

I like that thong.

Walt

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

July 27, 2012, 12:36 PM

Well done! Some of those bastards on Over Lode were pretty huge. Is the one on Holy Schist new, or has that big boy been there a while?

The one hanging over the nasty little ravine on the upper trail in Over Lode had some heft to it. The chunk I cut out was too heavy to move far. Lucky for me it rolled where I wanted it to go, because there's no way I could have flipped it over.

If we're talking the same tree on Holy Schist (big trunk, not much else), that fell one before the storm last Wednesday, but after the early spring storms. I had to let that one go last night. There was nobody at the office who could let me into the garage for a Gator, so I had to go where the trees were clustered. Unfortunately for me, the ones on Holy Schist are at opposite ends of the trail, making for a long hike.

Walt

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

July 27, 2012, 01:53 PM

I like that thong.

Walt

Very punny.

XXX
    sauksauer
    The Dam Trails - Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

July 29, 2012, 09:18 PM

Thanks Walt. Jon Cody and I were talking today.  If there is a way for others to get certified and approved to run saws in the park, let us know.  Due to my work experience that is something I could contribute readily. His work schedule affords time on some weekdays.

John

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

July 30, 2012, 06:27 AM

Thanks Walt. Jon Cody and I were talking today.  If there is a way for others to get certified and approved to run saws in the park, let us know.  Due to my work experience that is something I could contribute readily. His work schedule affords time on some weekdays.

John

John,

Check the attached files and see if you can meet the requirements. For Jon, FISTA training is available mostly in the spring. A day off of work and some travel is usually needed. CORP has paid the fee for volunteers in the past. I can give you access to the CORP chain saw and chaps. The most expensive part has been cut resistant boots. In the past, Karl was willing to accept steel toe boots instead of Kevlar armored ones.

It would be a huge help if I didn't have to do all the saw work.

Walt

[attachment deleted by admin]

XXX
    sauksauer
    Trail Steward

July 30, 2012, 10:25 PM

Can't seem to get the file to open.  Will talk to Jon tomorrow night.  We are planning to ride BM. I enjoy  doing saw work and have a nice light saw that I prefer to carry if I am allowed to use my own.  (also have the chaps, hard hat, ear and eye protection.)  thx...JS

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

July 31, 2012, 08:27 AM

Hi John,

You can use your own equipment, and the form is available from Kevin Swenson. Or I'll print it out and get it to you.

Thanks,
    Walt

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

July 31, 2012, 10:13 AM

Hi John,

You can use your own equipment, and the form is available from Kevin Swenson. Or I'll print it out and get it to you.

Thanks,
    Walt

It might be important to point out that John here is a professional arborist and forester. John is not only qualified but works with many of our land managers in his profession. Also that CORP members who do cutting and operate equipment have been to specific classes or met the certifications or requirements of our land managers. Also that each property has similar but their own specific rules.

XXX
    sauksauer
    Trail Steward

July 31, 2012, 09:54 PM

Jon and I carried our handsaws with tonight and cut the first White Oak clear...just down from the parking lot.  Also cut the dead downfall right after the turn out to the road crossing to Overlode.  Accomplished little else as our ride was cut short.  Broken frame on Jon's beloved old Fisher Big Sur.  Major bummer.

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

August 01, 2012, 07:13 AM

Jon and I carried our handsaws with tonight and cut the first White Oak clear...just down from the parking lot.  Also cut the dead downfall right after the turn out to the road crossing to Overlode.  Accomplished little else as our ride was cut short.  Broken frame on Jon's beloved old Fisher Big Sur.  Major bummer.

Thanks for the trimming.

Blue Mound claims another bicycle :-[

Walt

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

August 01, 2012, 07:17 AM

It might be important to point out that John here is a professional arborist and forester. John is not only qualified but works with many of our land managers in his profession. Also that CORP members who do cutting and operate equipment have been to specific classes or met the certifications or requirements of our land managers. Also that each property has similar but their own specific rules.

It's not legal to cut trees on state property using power tools without proper certification and the permission of the land manager.  Anyone doing otherwise is risking a fine, and will make bike riders look bad in the eyes of the park manager.

Walt