•  

Posts set for trail signage

Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

August 04, 2012, 04:36 PM

I finished cutting trees toppled by last wind storm today. There was time to set posts for the big signage project. They went in at F11, F12, and G1. For those who can't see the map, that's the last half mile of Holy Schist.

Walt

[attachment deleted by admin]

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

August 05, 2012, 11:58 PM

Thanks for your efforts, Walter.  As usual, let me know if you need my help with anything.

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

August 08, 2012, 07:13 AM

I'll be working on setting the sign posts on Saturday (August 11th). I hope to get the rest of Holy Schist done, F6-F10. Heh, that's probably optimistic, but I'm getting better at the job. I dropped posts off at the spots I'd marked earlier this spring, so at least that part of the job is done.

Using the rock bar to loosen up the hard clay, then the post hole digger to clear the rubble out is a winning combination, as long as I don't hit any rocks bigger than hand-size or so.

Walt

[attachment deleted by admin]

XXX

August 08, 2012, 01:28 PM

hey walt, do you need/want help on saturday? if so say when and where to meet,

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

August 08, 2012, 09:33 PM

hey walt, do you need/want help on saturday? if so say when and where to meet,

carrickter,

I plan to be there from too early through mid afternoon.

You can meet me around 8AM in the pool parking lot/trail head.
    Or pick a time (post here) and I'll be there to meet you.
    Or call me at 608 228-9977 on Saturday.

Walt

XXX

August 09, 2012, 11:03 PM

walt,
    many apologies, i spoke too soon. when i got to work i found out i was 'chosen' to work overtime on saturday. i've got your phone # if something changes. thanks, mark

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

August 10, 2012, 06:59 AM

walt,
    many apologies, i spoke too soon. when i got to work i found out i was 'chosen' to work overtime on saturday. i've got your phone # if something changes. thanks, mark

Hi Mark,

No worries, thanks for thinking of me!

Walt

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    To Be A Man...

August 11, 2012, 07:20 PM

Gary and I set posts today at F10, F9, F8, and F6.  Gary cut a down tree next to F10 with his hand saw.

F7 is at the top of the Kipp's Climb (Big Climb) out in Holy Schist. We made several attempts but could not dig a hole in the area. There is a lot of rock in that area and not much dirt. I'm not sure what the best alternative is for posting a sign.

We swapped out the trail map at the start of Home Stretch. We put the old map back on its original post, and moved the CORP map to the new post, along with a quarter-sheet laminated sign with the trail name.

The ravine crossing about half way up the climb was partially washed out (again) 2-3 years ago. Gary and I cut the bench back into the slope, so it's no longer like hanging on with your toenails as you line up for the crossing.

Holy Schist is mostly posted. There's still 3 more to set on Home Stretch, then it's time to print and laminate signs. That will be the end point for the signage project in 2012.

I've had several conversations with Kevin, and today I stressed the importance of getting back to maintaining the trails. There are lots of places that need work, and I need to get back to moving dirt.

We got grumpy for lunch.

Walt