•  

Some Trail Work, Not All Signage

Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

September 29, 2012, 06:48 PM

29Sep2012

I hoped to cut more downed trees today, but started off the morning measuring the inside of the trailer for a refit, and talking to Brady. But I got to take a Gator out of the deal.

The drive out to Ryan Road, the hike across the bridge to the east bluff, and cutting the tree plus the return trip chewed up most of the remaining morning. Although I had cleverly placed myself at the side of the park where most of the GPS readings needed doing, the dead batteries in my GPS unit saved me no time at all. After scavenging the batteries from my car flashlight, I went back out and got the needed readings in the beginner section and Chert Dip.

After lunch, Gary S. joined me for a repair of the first streambed crossing in Chert Dip. A rock flipped up in there sometime over the summer, and I was hoping for a quick re-setting of the offending rock. As soon as we levered it out, it was apparent that the time had come to tear it all apart. The result was worth all the work though. It's beautiful, and solid like the original never was.

We spent about an hour polishing the first downhill into Holy Schist. We took out a small tree, and removed rocks and roots in a number of places. I'd like the downhills at Blue Mound to ride faster. I'm pretty good at bashing my way through, but the ride could be a lot more fun with fewer tight turns, random rocks and roots.

The leaves are turning color ahead of schedule this year. I would not be surprised to see them start dropping in another 10 days.

Walt

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

September 29, 2012, 08:25 PM

Good to be able to get out and help.  That crossing was built 10-ish years ago and held up well.  The problem was that it was built too high, and water flow over the years pushed the rocks a few inches downstream, enough to knock a few over and move the line.  The rock that was flipped had actually been a problem since last summer, at least.  The rebuild is less of a dam and more a solid rock stream bed, and should provide less resistance to water flow. We had a rider come through as we finished who verified it was solid.

I'm looking forward to opening up Holy Schist and making it faster in ways that make sense.  There are a number of trees, turns, roots, that just kill flow.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 10:23 PM by Gary S »