•  

CamRock Spring Trail Opening

TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

April 07, 2014, 09:56 AM

OK, I hope I am not jinxing us. Or opening a can of worms here. But I know everyone is Jonesing after this long winter to get out on some dirt. I am doing me best to make this happen and to keep folks informed. So I am going to throw out my predictions for trail opening.
    There is a decent chance for the trails to be open within a weeks time. If not it should be soon after. I was out a couple of times this weekend evaluating the trails and they are starting to firm up, though still too soft to ride. Unfortunately we already have had a fair amount of damage to the trails from both riders and hikers on the trails when it was way to soft. Please don't make any more. We will have some wok to do this spring to get this damage reversed.
    For the trails to open we need a few things to happen: The rains predicted for today and Thursday need to be light. The freezing overnight needs to stay away. And the nice drying winds of the last few days need to continue.
    I will do my best to keep folks informed of the predicted opening.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    JHenry
    Technical Terrain (TTF) Crew

April 17, 2014, 07:50 PM

Got an update for us?
    XXX

April 17, 2014, 07:51 PM

~ I ride a Voodoo, it's heavy, and Carbon Fiber frames aren't welcome!

XXX
    JHenry
    Technical Terrain (TTF) Crew

April 17, 2014, 11:01 PM

I got a text that is open but I'll wait till Chuck gives the official green light  :o
    XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

April 18, 2014, 10:28 AM

(Most of) CamRock is open! Sorry I didn't get this up earlier but I delayed my Easter travel to get out and take down the signs and ribbon tape, remove limbs, etc. from the trail. Then I was driving until 1:30 this morning.
    Most of the trail is in really good shape. Typical soft dirt spring conditions. There are lots of leaves and sticks on the trails from the long hard winter. One small tree at the end of VERITAS I could not remove but it is very visible. Just tons of fun to be out riding dirt again. You can see a lot of rutting and washing caused by folks out riding on super soft conditions, then the spring gully washer rains last week.
    The Creekside trails need a bit to dry out yet. Parts were under water yet on Tuesday. Also the long bridge floated up and moved some so it is not crossable. I have signs and caution tape up on all of the Creekside trails.
    The  Outback is closed. Well really the beginning part with the features is and will remain closed. If you know how to take the Pitch Black shortcut across the ravine you are fine and the trail is in great shape. A reroute of the trail will be forthcoming.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

April 18, 2014, 01:13 PM

If you know how to take the Pitch Black shortcut across the ravine you are fine and the trail is in great shape. A reroute of the trail will be forthcoming.

Is that the cut-off to the left, just a little bit after the first feature (filter) of the now-closed Outback?  It hooks up right by the long bridge?

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

April 18, 2014, 01:26 PM

If you know how to take the Pitch Black shortcut across the ravine you are fine and the trail is in great shape. A reroute of the trail will be forthcoming.

Is that the cut-off to the left, just a little bit after the first feature (filter) of the now-closed Outback?  It hooks up right by the long bridge?

You got it.

XXX

April 18, 2014, 07:00 PM

Trails were great this evening. Thanks for all the work and bummer we have to move all the features on Outback, I noticed the gate boarded shut.

~ Go Big or Go Home