•  

CamRock Trail Conditions. Details. Details...

TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

January 06, 2015, 09:18 PM

A place to post more detailed info than is possible on the regular Trail Conditions (trails open, closed, etc) site. Also a place to report any issues that need to be dealt with. Those of us taking care of the trail are not always available to ride regularly, even though we would like to. So posting up could get something to our attention much quicker.

To start: Trail is in great shape today. Most of the trail had a few tracks on it before last nights snow. We only got about an inch last night.
    The trail in from Cambridge is well packed. As is the Expert Woods. The prairie has a number of tracks as well.
    Everything is easily rideable. It is fun to be riding in powder again.
    Rip N Ride and Ber Run were my favorites today, with Mayors Playground coming is right behind! Tons O Fun ;D

Now we need more snow so it gets deep enough to groom! ....Though we are still working on the legal documents yet. I think no matter the weather it will be a couple of weeks to work through the legal stuff and be able to groom.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

January 14, 2015, 05:51 PM

Trails are in great shape! Well packed all the way around the park. Really great riding right now.
    As usual the trail is packed like pavement close to Cambridge, though it is narrower than usual. The snow has not been deep enough for folks to get out the snowshoes yet, and those always widen the trail nicely.
    We still don't have enough snow to mechanically groom yet.
    As usual, the father from Cambridge you get, the less packed the trail is. But everything has multiple tracks on it, and it is all nicely rideable.
    Get it while it is good. Warm weather is coming.
    Please stay off the trail when it gets above 30. We don't want to rut up this great surface we have right now. When it cools again Sunday we want to keep riding :)

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

January 30, 2015, 09:32 PM

Trails are perfect right now. Really some of the best riding of the winter. I am sure it has been great all week, but frankly today was the first time I was able to ride them in almost two weeks.

Almost everything is covered with a nice layer of snow. Just enough for great traction. But nothing too deep either. I found about 10' of soft trail riding this afternoon at 25 degrees and bright sunshine. One small area that was bare. The rest of the trail is pretty sweet.

I stopped and cleared a couple of downed branches from all the wind the last couple of days. Starting to wonder if we are going to get to mechanically groom the trails this winter....We need more snow!!

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

February 01, 2015, 05:07 PM

Yup it got deep fast. Some tracks leading out of Cambridge, but they are drifting in fast. Pretty deep right now and rough to ride.

We are going to need some traffic once the wind dies down to get the trails packed in. Usually start at Cambridge and work south.

We may be ready for mechanical grooming by Friday. Dang legal is holding things up.

I will try to get out again tomorrow and give an update once he storm passes.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

February 02, 2015, 09:41 AM

I tried without much luck.  Just under 5 miles in an hour of ride time.  Felt like 30 all up hill.  I hope to get back out at some point this week.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

February 02, 2015, 10:03 AM

I tried without much luck.  Just under 5 miles in an hour of ride time.  Felt like 30 all up hill.  I hope to get back out at some point this week.
    Yeah this is a really heavy, thick snow. I have ridden in fresh snow over 15" without problems and having a blast. Yesterdays snow was almost like week-old compacted snow while it was still falling. I think the next foray will be on snowshoes to start getting it packed in.
    And keep your fingers crossed that Trek and Dane County Parks can get through the legal stuff this week. I will be back in town Friday and we could get out for the first go at mechanical grooming.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

February 06, 2015, 12:10 AM

I just got back in town tonight. I plan to get out tomorrow on 'shoes and do some stompin'. I will prolly head north from Rockdale.
    This is perfect weather to get the trail whipped into shape. Warm days and cold nights will make some nice hard trails. Get it packed one day, harden overnight, and the next day should be golden!
    I will also try and get out and see how the rest of the trail is shaping up.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

February 06, 2015, 04:17 PM

camrock 3 parking lot, tonight, stomping.

XXX

February 06, 2015, 11:32 PM

We didn't have much of a plan, and missed the trail a few times, and may have made some creative route decisions, but there is a good amount of trail stomped down on the Camrock 3 side now.  The areas are a bit random but Beer Run, the classic trails closest to CR3, the old expert loop, and the CORP Connector downhill are all pressed down pretty good and should be good to go on Saturday. 

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

February 07, 2015, 12:14 AM

We didn't have much of a plan, and missed the trail a few times, and may have made some creative route decisions, but there is a good amount of trail stomped down on the Camrock 3 side now.  The areas are a bit random but Beer Run, the classic trails closest to CR3, the old expert loop, and the CORP Connector downhill are all pressed down pretty good and should be good to go on Saturday.
    Thanks for the effort! I am sure it will be a huge help. If riding this weekend please get out really early or after dark and make these efforts worth it! The warm temps will mean the trails will get soft. If you ride soft trails you will ruin the efforts of these fine folks for others to enjoy it.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

February 07, 2015, 08:25 AM

We'll be out testing our work around 10am this morning, it would be awesome to see some other fatties out there getting rad.  And if you have snow shoes there is plenty to stomp down still, If someone would stomp the rest of the old trails (from the top of the hill at the beginning of the expert section all the way over to where it crosses the XC trail) most of camrock 3 would be open for business. 

XXX
    blackbike (Scot E)
    None more black

February 07, 2015, 08:27 AM

Richard - cam rock sport trail head?  I'm game for meeting you guys at 10.

~ Look up on the wall baby, hand me down my shootin' iron.
    Call your mother long distance, tell her to expect your body home.

XXX

February 07, 2015, 08:34 AM

No, not at the Cambridge end, we'll be starting at the trailhead over by RockDale, Camrock 3, where all the terrain is at.

XXX
    blackbike (Scot E)
    None more black

February 07, 2015, 09:05 AM

Not sure if you're serious!

~ Look up on the wall baby, hand me down my shootin' iron.
    Call your mother long distance, tell her to expect your body home.

XXX

February 07, 2015, 02:09 PM

Scott E, Garrett K, Jin L, Patrick F, and I had a solid ride as CR 3 this morning.  We rode most of what we stomped in last night, the first time around it was a little rough going in places, but more was rideable than not and the downhills were a blast.  The second time over our tracks things were setting up very nicely and almost everything was no problem to ride. Things were getting soft when we wrapped up around noon and I would not recommend riding them again until temps drop below freezing again.  I think we'll be back out on Monday night when it should be well setup, hopefully we can get a big group together, the more tires that ride it the better.