•  

Dirt Jump Maintenance

ebaher30
    A.K.A. Ethan

August 04, 2013, 11:13 PM

I was out riding today and I noticed that the jumps looks like they need some work. With all the focus being on completing the pump track and single track the jumps have kind of been neglected. The lips are not shaped and uneven, parts are kinda bumpy, and everything is coated in sand. Would it possible to purchase a rain barrel or 2 to keep down by the jumps to water them down from time to time? Since there's not really a way to get a hose down there I think a couple rain barrels would be the best solution. This would make them much smoother and easier to work with. If there's any way to do this I'll bring watering cans and take care of the jumps. If this is possible please let me know or talk at the Tuesday night work and ride (I'll be the kid with the white marin dirt jumper). Thanks!

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

August 05, 2013, 07:40 AM

I was out riding today and I noticed that the jumps looks like they need some work. With all the focus being on completing the pump track and single track the jumps have kind of been neglected. The lips are not shaped and uneven, parts are kinda bumpy, and everything is coated in sand. Would it possible to purchase a rain barrel or 2 to keep down by the jumps to water them down from time to time? Since there's not really a way to get a hose down there I think a couple rain barrels would be the best solution. This would make them much smoother and easier to work with. If there's any way to do this I'll bring watering cans and take care of the jumps. If this is possible please let me know or talk at the Tuesday night work and ride (I'll be the kid with the white marin dirt jumper). Thanks!

Thanks for your interest.

We can order the water truck when needed. Aaron and I make this decision every Tuesday morning, and for other work sessions. We have to let the city know by 9 AM. It can be there for a whole weekend too. We must be careful and not order it and have it go unused.

The maintenance and how the jumps are shaped is a current topic with our land manager. Quite a few riders who had interest have stopped working or moved away from the area. Some who asked for dirt and favors didn't follow up which didn't go over well with our land managers. This is a very important topic for any who have passion or desire for the jumps. Dirt jumpers need to develop some leadership and management. Aaron, the club  and the city will be please to have such help.

I can go over the list of tasks the city has for dirt jumpers this Tuesday. The city had a professional risk assessment done and getting those tasks done are dead serious if dirt jumpers want public dirt jumps.

Thanks.

XXX

August 13, 2013, 01:38 PM

Water truck will be out tonight. If you want to see the jump line stick around then come out and care for it and ride it!

Suggestions are welcome on ways to improve the current jump line as well.

XXX
    ebaher30
    A.K.A. Ethan

August 13, 2013, 04:12 PM

I'll be there!

XXX

August 14, 2013, 09:33 AM

Just so everyone knows, we tweaked jumps 3 and 4. I cut down the lip on 3 a bit and evened out the landing a little and Ethan took care of smoothing out the landing on 4. Overall it means you can clear 3 a bit easier and consistently (although if you come barreling in you might overshoot a little), and you can hold speed through to 4 without a rough landing!

Also cleared some of the weeds on those two jumps along with the backside of 2, that should help with sight lines.