•  

Prep Needed for Battle of CamRock

Tom Harron
    Former Club President
    Former President and Race Director of Battle of CR

May 31, 2012, 08:39 AM

The trails need a lot of cutting. All single track needs to have the skihl ran through to remove hanging branches and get the weeds backed off. The DR Mower needs to cut everything we can. I was out mowing for a couple hours yesterday. We have two weeks to get CamRock ready. Lots of people will show up the week before the race to pre-ride the course and we should have the whole system ready to go.

The huge tree in the Outback needs to be taken down. We may have to contact Dane County Parks for help.

The horrible hilly race is the Saturday before the race and we are going to have a hard time getting volunteers for setup so please ask your friends to volunteer for Sunday. Saturday will be expo setup and registration only. The course will be set by me and my brother on Friday. I'm picking up fencing and signage early that week.

This is the biggest thing we will do this year. We need all hands on board in order to make it a success. If everyone who has already offered to help finds 2 or 3 friends we will be good. Volunteer assignments will be posted up next week.

Tom Harron

« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 08:57 AM by TheMayor1 »

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

May 31, 2012, 09:20 AM

Please consider helping out for both the prep work and the running of the Battle of CamRock. As Tom said this is by far the biggest event CORP will do this year. Both people-wise and money-wise for the club. On the 17th we will have prolly upwards of 800 racers and again as many spectators at CamRock for the big event. We need two things:

First, we need help to get those trails in shape for that amount of people using them. The added benefit is the trails will be smokin' for the rest of the summer, and we will all enjoy that.

Second: Everyone needs to sign up and do some volunteer work on race day, June 17th. I know I will be helping out the entire weekend. Tom is in nervous breakdown time with very few volunteers signed up. We can't run this event without lots of volunteers. Even if you are racing you can help out. Your race won't be all day. Tom is running the race so he knows when the classes go off and can work around your schedule.

In other words we need you! Please send Tom an email or call so he knows he has people ready to go. Call him at six 0 eight 301 5258, or email him at thomasharron at gmail dot com.

Thanks a lot for all you do for this club! Our trails will love you for it ;D

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    Q
    Bonner

May 31, 2012, 09:41 AM

While I'll be out of town the weekend of (and the Thurs/Fri before) the race, I'll do everything I can to get out and work on the trails. I will have time this weekend to run with the Stihl. Need to figure out how to carry extra fuel to minimize return trips. Any ideas? Big old backpack?

XXX
    Tom Harron
    Former Club President

May 31, 2012, 12:10 PM

XXX
    JHenry
    Technical Terrain (TTF) Crew

May 31, 2012, 01:11 PM

I will assess the tree in the Outback tonight. The TTF crew will be working out there Saturday and will take it down if able. Is it skinny material?
    XXX
    Tom Harron
    Former Club President

May 31, 2012, 01:45 PM

I was told it is about 3 feet around and held up by a tiny tree.

Tom

XXX
    Dave
    Assistant Trail Stewart

May 31, 2012, 01:49 PM

Well my volunteer position is already slated as being an official. Fun stuff. As for mowing we can use plenty of help on that end. Its a massive time suck but necessary evil.

~ "No regrets, that's my motto. That and everybody wang chung tonight"

XXX
    JHenry

May 31, 2012, 11:35 PM

The root is gone on Woodchuck and we'll get the tree down Saturday morning. Looks like possible skinny material  ;).
    XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

June 01, 2012, 08:24 AM

The root is gone on Woodchuck and we'll get the tree down Saturday morning. Looks like possible skinny material  ;).
    Great news! Thanks TTF Crew Dudes! What else will you be working on out there Saturday?

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    JHenry

June 01, 2012, 04:05 PM

It was going to be the step-up in Outback but John had to back out so Dave and I will likely be clearing more ground in Area 51 and chainsaw work. I plan to use the DR for the clearing.
    XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

June 01, 2012, 05:07 PM

It was going to be the step-up in Outback but John had to back out so Dave and I will likely be clearing more ground in Area 51 and chainsaw work. I plan to use the DR for the clearing.
    And what are you clearing more ground for? Do tell!

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    Q
    Bonner

June 01, 2012, 07:44 PM

I'll be out Sunday morning with the Stihl doing some trimming. Any ideas for carrying extra fuel?

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

June 01, 2012, 11:15 PM

I'll be out Sunday morning with the Stihl doing some trimming. Any ideas for carrying extra fuel?
    There was one of those aluminum MSR cans in the shelter for just such a task. We could use another one or two. If you get near REI or Gander that would be a great addition. We will get you reimbursed.
    If carrying fuel for the Stihl make sure that you have mix gas. My error this week in that regard will cost me $400 for a new chainsaw.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    JHenry

June 02, 2012, 01:38 AM

[/quote]And what are you clearing more ground for? Do tell!
    [/quote]

Progression...... :P
    XXX

June 02, 2012, 11:12 AM

I can be at Cam Rock today or tomorrow to help if anyone is working on the trails.  I ran the mower and Stihl a bit for last years Cam Rock.  Give me a call at 715-581-5161 if you want me out there..  - Scott