•  

BALLS Ride - What is it?

blackbike (Scot E)
    None more black

March 14, 2012, 11:16 AM

i wonder if 1.5" are going to be enough.

Will be like ice skating through mud for you.  Of course you could always catch a ride and skip the cheese country like Bear does when he mysteriously vanishes every year.

I like those unpainted rims.  Stolen from the primary factory in the night before value-add branding and resold from the secret secondary factory as-is next door perhaps....

~ Look up on the wall baby, hand me down my shootin' iron.
    Call your mother long distance, tell her to expect your body home.

XXX
    Nelson
    Former Club President
    I ride bikes

March 14, 2012, 06:51 PM

You know come to think of it I've never seen Bear on the cheese country trail, nor has anyone else

~ i like social d

XXX

March 14, 2012, 06:57 PM

Funny you mention that, I was saying the same thing last year during the ride.  Get to the camp ground, he's showered and chillin........

~ Burn rubber

XXX

March 14, 2012, 07:05 PM

All done! (for now)

[attachment deleted by admin]

XXX

March 14, 2012, 07:19 PM

Plenty to vouch for me you a**holes.

~ I like beer and men

XXX
    Nelson
    Former Club President
    I ride bikes

March 14, 2012, 07:48 PM

:P

~ i like social d

XXX

March 14, 2012, 08:00 PM

But a pile of food, tub full of beer, and a willing woman at the end of a ride and it's amazing what I can do!

~ I like beer and men

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

March 14, 2012, 10:44 PM

Funny you mention that, I was saying the same thing last year during the ride.  Get to the camp ground, he's showered and chillin........
    Now that you mention it, I have never seen him on The Cheese D*$k Trail either. He must have been into his fourth beer by the time Nelson and our Clan rolled into camp a couple years back. Hmmmm.......

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    selbig

March 16, 2012, 12:25 PM

I'll be a BALLS newbie this year. After looking at some of the rigs posted on this site (different thread) it looks like some of you are preparing to ride the GDR! Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there plenty of places to stop along the way and refill water bottles and grab snacks? Should I rig up my ride with storage beyond a water bottle and some tools?

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 12:30 PM by Bill »

XXX

March 16, 2012, 12:41 PM

you might be seriously thirsty on many stretches of the route with one water bottle.  It will also depend on the weather, if its warm, bring more.  I can't remember what I had last year, I think two water bottles and the camelbak - 70oz - but maybe I skipped the camelbak and put additional bottles in the rear seatpost rack, many of these rides blend together!  I was pleasantly surprized with the amount of options along the way to refuel.  This year I will be using my full susser, so no rear rack.  So, two bottles and maybe the 100oz camel.  Done!

~ Burn rubber

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

March 16, 2012, 12:44 PM

Bill, if you're basing your statement on the pic of Nelson's Fargo, I understand your concern.  No one told him that just because his bike has 27 water bottle mounts that he didn't need to use them all.

I'm planning on running 2 large bottle for liquid and re-fuelling along the way.  There are lots of opportunities to do so.  I'll have a couple bags on the bike (large seat-pack and handlebar bag) but that's cause I hate having stuff on my back.  I'll post a pic of my Gryphon soon...need to finalize bar position and tape them.

XXX
    nor
    Trail Steward - Cross Plains
    Trail Steward

March 16, 2012, 12:45 PM

Unless its 85 a camelback or 2 large bottles should be good.  I seem to remember refuel points every 15-20 miles.  Maybe less including "watering" holes.  The best refueling option. ;)

~ crushing it

XXX
    Nelson
    Former Club President
    I ride bikes

March 16, 2012, 01:50 PM

You also may not realize that if I want to get to the campground by dark I can't stop. The tortoise must always be rolling..

~ i like social d

XXX

March 16, 2012, 09:54 PM

You also may not realize that if I want to get to the campground by dark I can't stop. The tortoise must always be rolling..

So says "speedy".

~ I like beer and men

XXX

March 17, 2012, 06:35 PM

Spotted one of Nelson's pacers on the Cheese Country today.