•  

Saturday ride, 2/14/15?

February 12, 2015, 09:56 AM

Anyone up for some riding on Saturday morning?  I'm planning to roll from the Seminole trailhead around 8:30am, do laps of the Seminole trails, roll over the bridge for some Quarry Ridge laps, then head out to Riley for pancakes (not sure how that works this time of year with snowmobiles?).  Probably repeat on the way back.  Let me know if you plan to be there, but if you're late you can catch up in Seminole!

XXX

February 12, 2015, 10:17 AM

It has come to my attention that Riley pancakes are a Sunday thing.  I'm still going to ride out there, but no pancakes.

XXX

February 12, 2015, 02:21 PM

I would be interested, but I already have plans for Saturday.  I was planning to do some snowshoeing at QR tomorrow and then ride Seminole and QR on Sunday.  I haven't been out to QR for quite a while - I assume it could use more grooming?  What needs work out there?

XXX
    farmguy
    Trail Steward - The Farm
    Trail Steward

February 12, 2015, 11:31 PM

(not sure how that works this time of year with snowmobiles?). 

I believe all Dane Cty snowmobile trails are currently closed.

~ Here uncultivated acres wait prime for adventure....back 40

XXX

February 13, 2015, 10:51 AM

Not sure if anyone is planning to show up?  I'm moving it up to 8am, but we'll hang out at the Seminole trail entrance for a while before moving on.  Thanks for the update on the trails.

XXX

February 13, 2015, 01:26 PM

speedy46 - I have a couple of friends interested in riding Military Ridge to Riley on 2" tires  or possibly skis on Sunday.  Any chance you can post up what conditions are like after your ride tomorrow?  I'm curious if there is enough snow cover for skiing and if things are firm/smooth enough for a 2" tire.

In return, you should be able to take advantage of any stomping I do at quarry tonight :)

XXX

February 13, 2015, 07:58 PM

I got no takers on the Saturday ride, so I'm game for Sunday if that means a group.  What time are you all riding?

speedy46 - I have a couple of friends interested in riding Military Ridge to Riley on 2" tires  or possibly skis on Sunday.  Any chance you can post up what conditions are like after your ride tomorrow?  I'm curious if there is enough snow cover for skiing and if things are firm/smooth enough for a 2" tire.

In return, you should be able to take advantage of any stomping I do at quarry tonight :)

XXX

February 13, 2015, 11:36 PM

That would be great if you could make it.  I'm thinking of heading out from Memorial Union at 9 am.  Only one person is definitely interested - he'll be on 2" tires and will probably just stick to Military Ridge.  I'm thinking we'll go straight out to Riley and then ride QR and Seminole with whoever is interested on the return trip.

I'm making this a trip with the hoofers outing club, so I'll see if there is any additional interest there.  Just to warn you - this might not be the fastest trip depending on who signs up.  I'll let you know the final plan on Sat. night.

For those wondering, starting just short ways after QR, Military Ridge had snowmobile tracks on it and looked like it was in great shape to ride on any bike.

XXX

February 18, 2015, 07:41 AM

How was the military ridge as far as snow? I am thinking of riding out to Dodgeville on my 2" tires this Saturday (I need to get out there anyways, so might as well bike and hitch a ride back with my wife). Judging from lake Mendota I am guessing it should be passable.

XXX

February 18, 2015, 08:29 AM

There was about a mile or two of narrow/choppy packed path near QR that wasn't plowed or packed in by snowmobiles.  I think it's pretty similar to Seminole - if you air down to 15 psi or so and are really good at holding a line on a narrow choppy path, that section would be doable. 

After that it's a mixed bag of moderately choppy (but firm) snow and exposed dirt.  While definitely doable on 2" tires, there's no doubt it would be slow going and easier as well as probably a good deal faster on 4".  I wouldn't be surprised if you get a lot of extra extra slow/choppy sections from footprints near Mt. Horeb and Blue Mound.

While I haven't been on Mendota, I think MR is probably a lot more challenging since on MR the snow you have is firm but choppy as opposed to Mendota which I'm guessing is smooth and has most of the snow blown off.

Anyway, good luck if you decide to attempt it!

XXX

February 18, 2015, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the beta.  It sounds like it is a go for me.  Mendota doesn't really have the snow blown off.  It is more just compacted by wind breaking down the snow.  I could almost ride on it with my 40mm studded tires when I tried the other day, though you are correct that it is going to be fairly smooth.  As much as I would love to do this ride on my fatbike...oh wait, I don't have one of those  :'(   So the Fargo it is.

XXX

February 18, 2015, 02:02 PM

Definitely some drifted sections between Barneveld and Dodgeville.  I drive by them everyday.  Certainly will leave you hiking in a couple spots.

Update - checked again this morning.  Yep, a few 100+ yard long really drifted sections with no snowmobile tracks recently.

~ I like beer and men

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 07:50 AM by sbear55 »

XXX

February 19, 2015, 03:22 PM

Thanks for the update.  After "riding" Mendota a bit this morning, I am rethinking a 45 mile hike...err...bike ride.  Plus my family's plans have changed, so it would be difficult timing-wise.  I may still try to get out and ride part of the Military Ridge this weekend, as I don't feel bad if I put a giant rut in the snow, unlike any of the mountain biking trails.

XXX

February 19, 2015, 04:01 PM

Anyone with a fat bike should be happy with the current forecast, 1-3" on Friday then temps easing up to near freezing on Saturday. With all the trails packed in right now Saturday could be really sweet if we get less than 3".  Tune up those fatties and clear the honey-do list!