•  

June 10 Beginner Ride

augs
    Former President
    Board Member

May 11, 2015, 09:51 PM

As a Part of the Bike Fed's Bike Week, we will be hosting an all-abilities ride at Seminole on June 10.  At 5:45, we will be meeting at W. Washington and the Southwest Trail, and riding out said trail to Seminole, hopefully picking up additional riders along the way.  Planning to be at the trailhead at 6:30.  Very mellow ride, introducing folks to riding off-road and riding to the trailhead.  Come out and be supportive, bring your curious friends and relations, and generally have fun.  We'll want a few volunteers to be on the lookout for mayhem and/or distress, but mostly it will be more of a loosely organized group ride.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 09:54 PM by augs »

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

June 09, 2015, 10:15 PM

The weather looks great for tomorrow; come on out and help spread the gospel of mountain biking.

I have been lobbying for volunteers on the 'news' post about this event, not knowing that most folks can't reply to a news thread.  So it could be that there are hundreds of you trying to tell me you could help out.  I would settle for one or two.  It would be helpful to have a point person at the Pacific Cycles meet-up.  They will have a tent and water at the trailhead there, we just need someone  to let the general public know they are in the right place.  One more person at the trailhead wouldn't hurt.  As I am generally out of internet access during the day, call me tomorrow (695 7245) if you can do this, and we can coordinate.  Thanks,

Jon

XXX
    JHenry
    Technical Terrain (TTF) Crew

June 10, 2015, 09:20 AM

I will be at the Seminole trail head. I will also have the jersey fit kit in my truck at the parking lot. I don't know how much longer I will have it so follow me to my truck after the ride if you want to check it out  8)
    XXX

June 10, 2015, 10:32 AM

I will also be at the trail head at 6:30 with a kid.

XXX

June 10, 2015, 12:53 PM

I can swing by the Pacific cycle at 615.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

June 14, 2015, 09:59 PM

We had a nice ride with a good turnout.  It didn't look good when Tim was the only rider at the first meet-up spot, but we picked up a few along the way.  I think we had eight at the trailhead and were waiting for Wade and his daughter, when a couple families arrived, along with a handful of other adults, so we had two dozen riders anyway.

One thing I would do differently is be more proactive about separating into ability-based groups.  I am used to doing rides like this (wide ranging abilities) at places like QP or BH, where the spider-web-nature of the trails allows everyone to run into each other with some regularity.  At Seminole, it being a loop, once we spread out we didn't see much of each other.  Also, one or two of the families had multiple-aged kids, and the older ones may have had a better time if they had hooked up with the other riders their age instead of ending up riding with little brother or sister.

Overall, it was a successful venture.  I would like to see the ride out to the ride get promoted more heavily if we do it again, but we can work on that.  Thanks to everyone who came out!