•  

Who Loves CamRock? - The CamRock Trail Posse!

dburatti
    Builder of trails. Rider of bikes.

July 08, 2013, 12:13 PM

Sorry, Chuck, I didn't see this thread until today.  I glance at the board for a few days, see nothing new, and tune out until I remember again.   ::)

As I told you, I'm down for some trail work.  Would you rather me us my powers for awesome to help with some flow changes, or would you rather me do some grunt work like trimming?

D

~ I love my job!

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

July 08, 2013, 12:52 PM

Sorry, Chuck, I didn't see this thread until today.  I glance at the board for a few days, see nothing new, and tune out until I remember again.   ::)

As I told you, I'm down for some trail work.  Would you rather me us my powers for awesome to help with some flow changes, or would you rather me do some grunt work like trimming?

D
    Thanks for the reply DeWayne. I would love to have you working on some flow trail if that is possible!
    Maybe we should meet for a brew and discuss what that mind for awesomeness has percolating? If it works best to discuss plans and let you loose on your own time schedule I am all for it. For me we are into crazy time of summer with four nights a week of baseball games for the boys, and camping or other excursions every weekend. Prolly best to just call or text and we can find a time to get together.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

July 08, 2013, 09:39 PM

Alright folks, there has to be more than five people who love the CamRock Trails :o There are more folks than that riding at CamRock on Thanksgiving Day, when the weather is bad and you should be with loved ones ;D

I get at least 50 folks a year tell me, " I wish I could help out on the trails, but I can never make it to the trail days". Well here is your chance! You can do this any time you wish. Hell I don't care if you use your headlamp or do it Sunday mornings when your mom says you should be in church. That is between you and your mom, and I don't care as long as the trails get some love :)

I am still looking for about four folks to spread the load out and not, once again, overwork any one person. I have tried to break it down into manageable sections of trail so no one is carrying too much of the load. It should be manageable with at most an hour a month during the busy time of the year. You can do it either before, in the middle, or after a ride. Or on a crappy day you can't ride, come on out and love the trail and enjoy a refreshment at CamRock Sport for your efforts! Plus you get the chance to run cool power tools! And we supply the tools! How can you beat that?

If you ain't on the CamRock Trail Posse, you ain't nuthin' :P

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

July 11, 2013, 09:34 PM

Is the original expert section still there.  It was nearly unridable when I went out last.  Never a heavy used trail but it was a trail that got me back into mountain biking in '05. I'd be interested in doing that section.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

July 11, 2013, 10:36 PM

Is the original expert section still there.  It was nearly unridable when I went out last.  Never a heavy used trail but it was a trail that got me back into mountain biking in '05. I'd be interested in doing that section.
    Sweet! Call it all yours My Man! And oh yeah. I rode it tonight. Thom has gotten out there and taken care of the worst of it so it is ridable. The beginning section, and the lower ending section still need some love :-*
    I will send you a PM.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

July 18, 2013, 04:49 PM

Looks like a nice weekend so I'm planning on getting out and taking care of all my responsibilities.  Right now I'm thinking of a 7-8 am start on Saturday.  If everything goes well and quickly,  I might try and get some areas that aren't covered by someone.  I also hope to get a ride in afterwards.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

July 19, 2013, 11:45 AM

Looks like a nice weekend so I'm planning on getting out and taking care of all my responsibilities.  Right now I'm thinking of a 7-8 am start on Saturday.  If everything goes well and quickly,  I might try and get some areas that aren't covered by someone.  I also hope to get a ride in afterwards.
    Awesome Thom! you better be careful or you might get named "official trail maintenance god"! Or even worse, CamRock Trail Steward Assistant ;)
    For the folks still waiting to get together with me. I am out of town again until Sunday night. I will try and contact you, but I hope to be able to meet before the Monday Night Ride next week. I think I can be in town around 5p.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

July 19, 2013, 12:07 PM

For the folks still waiting to get together with me. I am out of town again until Sunday night. I will try and contact you, but I hope to be able to meet before the Monday Night Ride next week. I think I can be in town around 5p.

This is me. I think I can meet you Monday for this. Then I should be able to get out there next week with the snips/loppers to clean up my sections.

XXX

July 21, 2013, 08:33 AM

I got cut up by thorns pretty bad last week... Basically everywhere not used for the face is overgrown. I like to shred it when I ride, not be shredded.

Anyway I'm planing on being out there within an hour or two to cut back Imba Influence, The Outback, Area 51, etc with my brush cutter. Let me know if someone already got this. 

I will carry some pruners with me in my first lap to cut back any of the really obnoxious raspberries elsewhere on the loop.

XXX

July 21, 2013, 09:00 AM

Just about all of this was done yesterday morning.  I still have the last 1/3 of the Outback to do and will get to it this week.

XXX

July 21, 2013, 09:06 AM

I think the only section left that would draw some blood is the bottom half of the Cliff-Edge loop.

XXX
    Q
    Bonner

July 21, 2013, 04:54 PM

Rode CR today and it's in fine shape - thank you guys! It's not perfect, but I didn't lose any blood, save for the two eggbeater-shaped gouges in my shin from a pedal incident. Fook mi that hurts!

XXX

July 21, 2013, 06:45 PM

Thom, I had the tools loaded in the truck, so I went ahead and cleared that bottom portion of Outback, really only bad on one berm and the log ride. I also went through Area 51 and I guess what you call the tail end of Veritas (between Area 15 and the bridge) more thoroughly, and cut back principally multiflora rose (those are the ones with the curved thorns that hook you!) but also raspberries, Japanese barberry, buckthorn and other brush back to the stump, and then treated these stumps with herbicide. THis should kill these frequent offenders... it seems like the same areas have the same problem every year. Plus, I finally got to kill the huge Japanese barberry that has been pi$$ing me off every time I rode past it for the past 6 years.

While I was out there I was thinking we should maybe do some winter brush clearing along the trails. If we cut and kill this stuff with herbicide in the winter it will greatly reduced the amount of clean-up work we need to do in the summer. Should also help clear-up site lines in some areas for safer trails. I am sure the county park staff would also appreciate if we took out some invasive brush and weedy native shrubs.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

July 22, 2013, 10:51 AM

While I was out there I was thinking we should maybe do some winter brush clearing along the trails. If we cut and kill this stuff with herbicide in the winter it will greatly reduced the amount of clean-up work we need to do in the summer. Should also help clear-up site lines in some areas for safer trails. I am sure the county park staff would also appreciate if we took out some invasive brush and weedy native shrubs.
    Thanks for the efforts. You are right in your assessment of the invasive management. Any and all help along those lines would be welcomed from Parks. Some good winter work party work. It would be great if you could lead it. I am pretty bad at identifying the offenders in the off seasons, but would love to get after it. Nothing like a little chainsaw and brush clearing in the winter :)

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

July 22, 2013, 11:27 AM

I'd be happy to. But it would probably have to be on a Sunday since ill be a stay at home dad starting in mid-Novemver and I'll be working on most Saturdays.