•  

Who Loves CamRock? - The CamRock Trail Posse!

August 03, 2013, 10:36 AM

If this conversation is pertaining to mowing the parts of the creekside trail that go through all that really tall marsh grass type stuff i think the best thing would be an atv with a pull behind brush mower.

however i understand the cost and space/maintenence issues that presents compared to a smaller and different style unit. My mom has a great dane chariot jr industrial style zero turn mower (48 in cut), and let me tell you that thing is a lot tougher than one might think. I have cut down small trees in our woods with it (mostly on accident) and it doesnt care (obviously the blades get dull fast that way). it moves around pretty well too until things get greasy slippery wet. If it was dry enough i think it could move around in there, but it would take some playing around with it to see how well it really would work. with some tire chains on it i dont think it would have much problem at all, the main issue would be all the terrain changes and scalping the high spots. the deck can be raised to 5.5 inches cutting height and dropped down to about an inch i believe.

if all the really abrubt high spots and low spots (potholes) in there could get smoothed out and then let it re-seed itself i know a machine like that would have no problem moving around in there and cutting nicely, just may need to get sharpened more often due to the type of cutting it will be doing in there.

XXX

August 03, 2013, 11:38 AM

If this conversation is pertaining to mowing the parts of the creekside trail that go through all that really tall marsh grass type stuff i think the best thing would be an atv with a pull behind brush mower.

That's exactly what I was thinking, one of these Kunz mowers would do nicely: http://kunzeng.com/acrease-rough-productpage.htm

That behind an ATV could get through any part of the trail system that is grassy. Plus an AVT could carry tools for other trail work days, especially with a trailer. Probably out of the budget... I have no idea what the budget is, but it would be a nice thing to put on the Christmas list.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 11:40 AM by GoodOak »

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

August 03, 2013, 01:59 PM

Has anybody asked the land manager to budget for mowing?

Is there somebody who will head a project to seek a mower donation? We've done that with success at Blackhawk. Donated items in reasonable condition have on the whole, worked out.

Can somebody please have a mower/mowing synopsis to digest before the Aug meeting? That should help get it done and save more meeting time for general chat and gathering.

Thank you.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

August 06, 2013, 10:56 PM

Sending a call out to the Trail Posse! It is time for what should be the last trim of the summer riding season.

We have CORPfest coming up on August 24th and we want the trails in tip-top shape for that! A really the growing season for the prairie plants is about over so as I said this will hopefully be it for the year. Ideally if your area needs mowing it would be best sometime between the 16th and the 23rd. But anytime between now and then would work as well.
    Let me know if this is going to be an issue for you, and I will get someone else to fill in for you. Or is you can do that yourself it would be even better ;) Just let me know the plans so I, and the others planning for CORPfest, know what to expect.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

August 09, 2013, 04:20 PM

Wow!  First time out on Cam Rock this year (foot surgey finally healed).  What an improvement!  Berms, berms, berms!!  To all the Cam Rock trail posse, THANK YOU!  You keep making the best better.  Count me in on next work day.

XXX
    JHenry
    Technical Terrain (TTF) Crew

August 14, 2013, 12:56 PM

A follow up from the night ride Monday night:

The whole park needs attention at this point. Some places that were mowed 1.5 weeks ago need to be hit on the inside of the turns but almost everything else needs a once over. There were several places with low hanging branches that need to be trimmed. No on needs to lose their light  :'( Please post your plans so that we can make sure the unadopted sections get attention from one of us. I ask so that more than two people don't show up to mow at the same time.

Thanks,
    Josh
    XXX

August 14, 2013, 04:37 PM

im planning on mowing on the 21st.  during the day.  exact time = tbd.  If there is a conflict with anyone elses' plans, I can try to nail down a definite time so that we don't run into a logistical nightmare.

If I play my cards right, I might be able to swindle some of my bike nerd friends/CamRock fans into helping out with my section.  If that happens, and they are amenable, we might be able to hit a section of un-adopted trail too.  (we will play that part by ear, and Ill post up so that people know what got did)

running with scissors might make you feel like a bad ass, until you see a guy/gal riding single track with a set of hand trimmers!

WAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOO mosquito bites/west nile.  BRING IT!!!!!!!

~ Heavily caffeinated, for your protection.

XXX
    JHenry
    Technical Terrain (TTF) Crew

August 14, 2013, 04:44 PM

im planning on mowing on the 21st.  during the day.  exact time = tbd.  If there is a conflict with anyone elses' plans, I can try to nail down a definite time so that we don't run into a logistical nightmare.

If I play my cards right, I might be able to swindle some of my bike nerd friends/CamRock fans into helping out with my section.  If that happens, and they are amenable, we might be able to hit a section of un-adopted trail too.  (we will play that part by ear, and Ill post up so that people know what got did)

running with scissors might make you feel like a bad ass, until you see a guy/gal riding single track with a set of hand trimmers!

Thanks! What is your real name?

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

August 14, 2013, 05:23 PM

Thanks! What is your real name?
    I will send you the Trail Posse list Josh....and forward the flurry of emails I sent to them today.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

August 14, 2013, 09:22 PM

I hope to get all my area done Sat. morning (8/17).  Any additional areas that we need help with I can be out there by 3 pm all of next week.

XXX

August 15, 2013, 08:12 PM

I plan on trimming the roundabout to the expert woods with the hedge clippers firday afternoon.  I'm free saturday morning if some other areas are in need of mowing that aren't covered by someone else.  Scott

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

August 17, 2013, 08:13 AM

Thanks for posting up everyone. Greatly appreciated!

I am heading out there this am to use the mower. I will be cutting in the sections needed just for Pitch Black. The beginner shortcuts off of the Connector. And if time allows getting to Beer Cave, Gettin' Started, and Mayors Meander to the Roundabout. Basically that bottom section from Rockdale to the Roundabout. I will report back what I get done.

I know one area that will need attention is WouldChuck. No one had that section yet and it needs a good mow. If anyone else can grab that it would be awesome! As a heads up for trimming, the race will be using that section in reverse direction.

If you are heading out to CamRock and still need orientation or want to touch bases with me, prolly best to text or track me down on the trail. I will check my phone periodically.

~ Chuck Hutchens

« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 08:19 AM by TheMayor1 »

XXX

August 17, 2013, 02:28 PM

Hey Chuck,  I stole the mower from you this morning.  I believe I got most of the areas you listed mowed today with the exception of Rattlesnake to the CR3 parking lot.  I did have an issue with the mower today, the drive clutch cable broke off at the handle.  I was able to MacGyver it into temporary working condition using a bike brake cable, but a new DR cable will be needed as I don't know how long my fix will last.  Scott

XXX

August 17, 2013, 03:04 PM

My area is done. Night riders post up if you see something that might cause problems.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

August 17, 2013, 11:22 PM

Hey Chuck,  I stole the mower from you this morning.  I believe I got most of the areas you listed mowed today with the exception of Rattlesnake to the CR3 parking lot.  I did have an issue with the mower today, the drive clutch cable broke off at the handle.  I was able to MacGyver it into temporary working condition using a bike brake cable, but a new DR cable will be needed as I don't know how long my fix will last.  Scott
    Thanks for the post Scott. And huge thanks for the extra work mowing! Very much appreciated.
    I wondered what was going on with the mower. I got to the garage and saw it torn apart and your tools. Glad to hear you got a temporary fix going. I will see how it works tomorrow.
    I will try you get out and mow the areas needed for the race and the beginner bypass sections on the Connector.

~ Chuck Hutchens