•  

Who Loves CamRock? - The CamRock Trail Posse!

TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

June 20, 2013, 01:54 PM

I have been scheming for awhile now to set up a system to have a way to show they are supporters of CORP and the CamRock Trail System. I have come up with a system to basically "adopt" a section of trail and call it your own. In other words, if you see it needs some love, give it to her. If it needs it and she is not getting it, I might send you a gentle reminder. But I am thinking of just a better way to divide the duties, not hand out any shaming. Folks here want to help. This is hopefully a better way to so it. And once you learn "your" trail section you will have a better idea of the tools and effort needed. This is our first shot with this system, so I expect no one to be perfect. We will see how it goes and adapt as needed.
    I will get you set up with access to the tools needed. You can take care of things as your schedule allows. No waiting for "scheduled maintenance days" etc. If you can squeeze in an hour before, or after, a ride? Perfect! My goal is to try and break the trails into sections that should be able to be maintained in about an hour per month. Obviously the needed maintenance varies throughout the year depending on terrain and sun exposure. Some months it might take a little more, some it may take none. I try to lay that out in the trail descriptions. And I am thinking the basic maintenance a trail needs like removing sticks, lopping branches, mowing grass. Larger issues like erosion needing work days will still be tackled by trail crews.
    So what do you get beyond being one of the cool cats, and the respect of your peers? Well I hear there might be a free brewski involved from one of our sponsors? Maybe a trail maintenance crew party? Still working on details. And and did I mention that you will have the admiration of all of your peers 8)

Trail Sections                                        General Idea on maintenance needs
    White River and north 1/2 of Beaver Hole - Mowing maintenance in summer mowing season. Little to none in off seasons.
    South 1/2 of Beaver Hole and Fat Tracks - Mowing maintenance in summer. Some lopping of trees. Blowing leaves. Minimal in off seasons
    IMBA Influence and Veritas Loop. - Weed Whacker trimming and lopping. Blow leaves. Possible big storm cleanup in non-growing season.Covered - Thom
    Area 51 and Outback - Weed whacker trimming and lopping. Blow leaves. Possible big storm cleanup in non-growing season.Covered - Thom
    CORP Connector: From Expert woods south through Rip N' Ride to Roundabout : Almost all mowing. Lopping when raspberries are growing. Nothing after grass stops growing in late August. Covered - Jeff
    CORP Connector: From Roundabout north through Mayors Meander to Expert Woods. Almost all mowing. Lopping when raspberries are growing.  Not much after grass stops growing in late August. Could use a blow of leaves around November.Scott M
    CORP Connector: Mayors Meander and Burr Oak breezeway. Should be all mowing, VERY minimal lopping (carry a hand trimmer).  Nothing after grass stops growing in late August.
    Cliff Edge. Mowing with weed whacker. Some lopping. Leaves in fall. Covered - jonsyp
    Turn It Up, Stonefly, Corkscrew, Rattlesnake. Minimal in summer - lopping/trimming trees. Fall and spring walk to remove sticks branches. Needs blown a couple of times in the fall, and possibly once in the spring.
    Covered - Ashley
    Would Chuck? Mowing in summer.Minimal trimming of sumac area.
    Beer Run and Drop In. Trimming with weed whacker in summer. Sticks and leaves in fall and spring. Covered - Patricia
    Beer Cave, Gettin' Started, Mayors Meander to Roundabout. Mowing in summer. Minimal lopping. Sticks and leaves in fall.

I tried to divide these up by amount of work and the tools needed. Like you can do all mowing with either a trimmer or the big mower. You should not need both.
    You and a buddy or two want to share the duties? Fantastic! Anything and everything that you think you can do will be a help. You want to adopt more than one of the above sections? Wonderful. You have an inkling to give even more and line up your own crew for large jobs on "your" trails, like you see an issue with erosion? Great! Then I can give you the advice or supervision if you need it. Otherwise just let me know and I will inspect and figure out a way to correct it.
    The trails are in pretty great shape right now after the race. Most sections should be good for a couple of weeks until the prairies need mowing again. They will prolly need mowing once in July, and again in August. But then they will be done for the season. 
    Let me know of any questions here. Or give me a call at 6:ZERO:8 7:SEVEN:2 7:EIGHT THREE:3.

~ Chuck Hutchens

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 11:31 PM by TheMayor1 »

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

June 21, 2013, 10:08 AM

Buehler? Anyone? Who is going to be the first hero to jump on? This is the time to read my book of an email. It is pouring out and you ain't getting on a bike anytime soon ;)
    I have LOTS of folks who say, "I can't make the work days", or "just let me know when or how I can help out". It sounds great but there is really no good way to manage that. This is going to be my stock answer from now on. If we get more folks than needed responsibilities can even be shared for sections. Maybe someone takes it for a half of a year, and another the other half?

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

June 21, 2013, 10:17 AM

You get me access to that back gate and I'll take care of IMBA Influence, Area 51, Veritas, and Outback. 

XXX

June 21, 2013, 11:19 AM

Well I'm nervous about this level of responsibility, but I can try to take ownership of the "Turn It Up, Stonefly, Corkscrew, Rattlesnake" section. Are you considering that one section? My girlfriend doesn't ride, but likes hiking, so maybe I can get her to come pick up sticks with me  ;D.

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

June 21, 2013, 04:03 PM

Well I'm nervous about this level of responsibility, but I can try to take ownership of the "Turn It Up, Stonefly, Corkscrew, Rattlesnake" section. Are you considering that one section? My girlfriend doesn't ride, but likes hiking, so maybe I can get her to come pick up sticks with me  ;D .

There is a joke there about girlfriends rides and sticks, but this is a family friendly place, so I would never do so. ;)

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

June 21, 2013, 11:14 PM

You get me access to that back gate and I'll take care of IMBA Influence, Area 51, Veritas, and Outback.
    Consider it done Thom! And thanks for being the first lemming to jump over the cliff ;D

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

June 22, 2013, 06:58 AM

Well I'm nervous about this level of responsibility, but I can try to take ownership of the "Turn It Up, Stonefly, Corkscrew, Rattlesnake" section. Are you considering that one section? My girlfriend doesn't ride, but likes hiking, so maybe I can get her to come pick up sticks with me  ;D.
    Awesome! I am going to need to start putting together a list of names, number, and emails. Can you PM me? Greatly appreciated!

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

June 24, 2013, 12:01 PM

Awesome! I am going to need to start putting together a list of names, number, and emails. Can you PM me? Greatly appreciated!

Cool - I think I sent you a PM, but now I can't tell if it went through.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

June 24, 2013, 04:13 PM

Cool - I think I sent you a PM, but now I can't tell if it went through.
    Got it, Thanks! I will try and get back to you shortly.
    And yes whomever gets signed up will certainly have access to the needed tools and equipment.

Be one of the Cool Kats and get signed up today! We are going to need a name for the cool ones:
    -CamRock Trail Care Crew
    -CamRock Caretakers
    -CamRock Trail Lovers
    Any better suggestions?

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

June 27, 2013, 09:38 AM

Alright! Less than a week into this new crazy experiment and we have about a third of the trail spoken for! The CamRock Trail Posse is coming together! People are jumping on a taking some good sized chucks of trail. I even have one first-time-ever poster signing up. A true lurker! Shout out to Jeff :) Time to jump on board this wagon train or you might miss it. You know you want to. All of the cool kids are 8)
    Still some prime spots to get covered. No one on the Connector, and we know that needs some TLC in the summer time, though not much the rest of the year. I want to get the Connector split up into manageable sections so it is not too many hours to trim. As those who have done it know, it is not rocket science to keep it in shape. Mainly the easy to use walk-behind mower just keeping the prairie plants back enough to stay off the trail corridor.
    Just send a post up here if I know ya. Or PM me on the site here, or use my contact info in the original post to get a hold of me. Thanks for all of your help folks! The Posse is coming to CamRock :D
    FYI: I updated the list from the original post with the areas tentatively spoken for. Let me know if you have a preference of a particular part of the trail you are fond of. Or maybe you just wish this certain section would be maintained a certain way. You can make it happen!

~ Chuck Hutchens

« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 09:51 AM by TheMayor1 »

XXX
    singletrackminx

June 27, 2013, 11:39 AM

I can take beer run/drop in and maybe more but I'm sidelined from doing heavy trail work for a few weeks due to my awesome wrist injury  from lopping for hours before the race. :( assuming we don't need our own tools right? If we do I'm out lol

I should be good to go in about 2-3 weeks if it can wait that long.

Patricia

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

June 27, 2013, 12:37 PM

Patricia you are good to go! We will supply the tools and access to them in the CORP Clubhouse. That would be the garage at the new trailhead in Cambridge.....And those trails should be in good shape for awhile with the race just behind us. I hope you heal quickly.

Alright guys, the gals of the CamRock Trail Posse are coming out to show their love for the trails. Who else is going to get aboard the wagon train before it leaves the station? I know you aren't out riding trails right now ::) We have most of the wooded sections spoken for at this point. The folks on the posse are going to have the most say in what is going down at CamRock. If you want to influence the future of the trails, or how they are maintained, the Posse will have the most influence.

We have most of the wooded sections spoken for at this point. Funny I thought folks would take first dibs on walking behind a mower first. Shows you what I know....or don;t know ;)

~ Chuck Hutchens

« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 12:40 PM by TheMayor1 »

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

June 29, 2013, 12:31 AM

Alright folks a week into this crazy dream of mine and we are well over 1/2 way there 8) We only have about four primo spots up for grabs yet. If you want to be a part of The Posse you better get your name in the hat. And if you don't get on the Posse, I reserve the right to heckle you, and generally ignore you, while you are regaling me with all of your great ideas for the trail :P :P :P :'(

The Posse will have pull :-* Or at least have my first and foremost attention when it comes to maintaining and improving the trails. I gotta say I have been pleasantly surprised to see the number of new folks stepping up to the plate on this. And also kind of surprised a few folks I expected who have not yet stepped up? So get your hand in the air before all the spots are taken!

CamRock Trail Posse Unite ;D

~ Chuck Hutchens

« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 01:21 PM by TheMayor1 »

XXX

July 05, 2013, 09:29 AM

Does anybody know if a key has been made available to the gate that will get me down to the Outback-Veritas area?  I need to get those trails cleaned up especially Area 51 and the start of Outback.  I could just drive down the bike trail but thought it would be easier to come through the gate if I was going to be out there more often.

XXX
    JHenry
    Technical Terrain (TTF) Crew

July 05, 2013, 12:29 PM

I haven't. I thought Chuck was going to. I did trim the entrance to Outback yesterday but there is some trimming left before the scout bridge. Hopefully Dave and I can get out there in the next week to finish the new scout feature and get it rideable.