•  

Quarry Ridge Use Poll

You must be logged in to vote.
    Use the menu in the top right corner to log in or sign up to become a new user.

Poll

What improvements would you like to see at Quarry Ridge?

More downhill trails (with jumps like the Tunnel Trail and 3 Sisters)
    9 (12.7%)
    More uphill trails (climbs)
    9 (12.7%)
    More miles on the cross country loop
    32 (45.1%)
    More wooden technical features
    14 (19.7%)
    Don't change the trails!
    0 (0%)
    More beginner-oriented trails
    7 (9.9%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed:
    December 04, 2012, 07:26 PM

November 14, 2012, 07:26 PM

I'm conducting a short poll to gauge what users would like to see happen at Quarry Ridge in the future. I'm trying to gauge who rides there and the type of riding. I know the type of rider I usually see when I'm there, but hopefully this gains some additional perspective.

We have the approval to build a lot of new trail this fall and in 2013. Hopefully this poll can help shape where we put our resources.

2 votes are allowed per user so you can select your top 2 priorities.

Post below if you have additional comments!

Jeff

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 07:31 PM by jeffb »

XXX

November 15, 2012, 08:23 AM

During the summer I was riding QR maybe 2 or 3 times a week since it's the closest XC trail (PV doesn't really count). However, I'd like to keep improving my riding skill and I think the best way to add more variation to riding skills and ability levels is to add more features like TTF's. I like riding the two along the doubletrack section but I'd like to see more, and progression too, not just an inclusion of a 10 foot high skinny.

Also, more mileage please! I've heard visitors to the park say "That's it?" or "We did all the loops, is there any more?"

XXX

November 15, 2012, 10:28 AM

I selected more downhill, but I'd say not just more jumps.  For one, QR seems to just have some large gap jumps or those two heading down the tunnel trail.  At least for a fairly new rider like myself, the gaps are large jumps and I'd just be stupid to try to hit one without jumping experience and the tunnel ones are sketchy due to the trail right before them and still a bit large for my comfort zone due to the lead-up trail.  I tried hitting them really fast once so I could actually clear them and almost really hurt myself.  If we just add more jumps(meh) then I think the size should be in the middle so that people can have a progression rather than just "Hey, wanna learn to jump?  Just go hit that massive gap jump!"  If there's no middle progression stuff then it will simply make more trail that only a select group of riders will end up riding rather than people building up their skills and learning to ride the big stuff.

In any case, I'd love to see more technical downhill type stuff if that makes sense.  Small-ish/medium size drops, maybe a higher up/taller skinny(technically a TTF), maybe some rocky descents, stuff like that.  There's more to MTB than pushing out the miles on flat trail or large jumps.  The two downhill lines we have now are fun and don't have a bunch of big jumps(minus the end of the one line).

And if you guys can come up with some more cool lines from the top of QR to the bottom then I'll definitely come help build them.  My work schedule is finally changing and I'm getting Saturdays off for the first time in a couple years.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 10:38 AM by firstRWD »

XXX

November 15, 2012, 12:07 PM

I like this idea, but many users (and builders) arent on the forums here. To get comprehensive results we may have to extend this to facebook. Even then we're not getting everyone tho. Either way, hearing what people want is always good.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

XXX

November 15, 2012, 12:52 PM

There is a pretty big need for easier jumps. We don't have anything to learn on.

This poll is biased to active CORP members. I think that's a good thing because it is biased to the people who participate in the club and help build these trails (not the rogue builders). Give the volunteers what they want! Besides, we will get more help building the trails if the volunteers want to ride what they are building.

Jeff

XXX

November 15, 2012, 01:10 PM

I agree but I'm refering to the builders that are corp members and aren't rogue but also don't come on the forums. I can think of 5 off the top of my head. Not important though.

I agree more beginner jumps would be good. If you want em come out and build em! The beginner line on the 3 sisters trail could probably fit at least 3 more beginner jumps. We will also be making the current jumps safer this spring.

XXX

November 15, 2012, 01:46 PM

Tom, I would love to build a couple more smaller/medium sized jumps.  Just say when it's happening and as long as I'm free I'll be there!  I'm currently under the impression that CORP doesn't want us building without the trail steward(or similar) overseeing the operation.  That is correct, right?  I wouldn't want to see the beginner DH line get packed with jumps, as I think it's fun now.  1 more well placed jump would be fun and I would love to see the berm get built back up and the jump that used to be at the end get redone.  I'd be totally up for helping to work on it or just do it myself if I'm allowed.  I think if we redid the berm so that you can carry good speed through and rebuild the jump to be ~1' table top that would be great for progressing skills and a lot of fun to ride.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 01:49 PM by firstRWD »

XXX

November 15, 2012, 03:25 PM

FirstRWD, feel free to go fix up that line in the ways you described here. I'm actually trail steward now so i approve that work. Keep an eye out on the forums for planned work days but also feel free to do it yourself as long as you do it well.

XXX
    scribble

November 15, 2012, 05:14 PM

I have not made it to Qr or any trails other than the farm last weekend so take my opinion with a grain of salt.  I would hope that the trails would have room for all skill levels of riders.  I know from attempting to ride the Farm that I need all the learning I can get so any trails designed to invoke confidence for the newer riders to try new things will definitely be a good thing to try and continue the sport.  The hard thing is making trails that are satisfactory to all people and that is a challenge all hobbies and sports face whether limited by funds, location, or ability.

P.S.   Note don't try and ride the Farm if you have never ridden any trails before hand.

XXX

November 15, 2012, 05:23 PM

I would appreciate a greater number of beginner/intermediate trails. I brought my gf out to learn and while she had a great time (and was willing to try the harder stuff by the end of the afternoon) a few more easy level trails would be nice. I think she only toughed out the harder trails because she got a little bored of the same little loop.

BTW, I really enjoy QR! It is a wonderful system and I get just the right amount of warmup coming from downtown to really enjoy what there is before I turn around and head home. (I hope they never pave that cannonball trail, it is great!)

XXX

November 15, 2012, 11:53 PM

Thanks, Tom.  I'm willing to tackle the job it myself and I'll do as good of a job as I can(no real jump building experience, but I've done small jumps so I think I can shape it OK).  I'll need more dirt to build up that berm and jump.  What is my best bet for getting it?  Should I find a spot in the woods away from the trail to get some dirt or dig next to the spot where I would need the dirt(back side of berm or woods next to jump?)?

XXX

November 16, 2012, 05:55 PM

We're working on easier trails.

FirstRWD, we will be bringing dirt in in the spring, but in the mean time take dirt from an entirely hidden spot in the woods and/or from a mound so there isn't a big pit. If you do have to dig down smooth out the edges so it looks like just a depression in the ground. Also try not to use sand or gravel.

BTW whats your real name, in case I see you on the trails sometime?

Thanks,
    Tom

XXX

November 17, 2012, 09:33 AM

My name is Jeremy.  I ride a white Fetish Cycles "Discipline" with mostly black components.  I'll be the one going slower than everyone else. :P  I started riding a couple seasons ago but have yet to manage to do it on a steady basis and become a decent rider due to my afternoon/nights work schedule.  I'll probably start getting out to ride afternoons on Saturdays-Tuesdays this fall.  Luckily my schedule finally changed and I'll be able to make some trail work days and CORP get-togethers next spring when things start up again.

What/when do you ride?  I'll keep an eye out and say hello.

XXX
    Nelson
    Former Club President
    I ride bikes

November 17, 2012, 01:28 PM

Nobody cares about fast vs slow. What we care about is that you come out and join us for fun riding and trail work. Thanks for the intro and we'll be sure to say hi.

~ i like social d

XXX

November 19, 2012, 08:24 PM

More kickers! More car jumps!