•  

Quarry Ridge Trail Addition - Fall Work Days 11/9 and 11/16

October 06, 2013, 09:25 PM

A new trail is planned for construction this fall at Quarry Ridge. The concept for the trail was planned last year before the additions this spring, and now the City of Fitchburg has approved this expansion to complete the overall plan. The new trail will go from the picnic table back to the new concrete bridge. It will be between the existing hiking trail and mountain bike trail. See the map below (the red line is the new route).

The new trail will improve Quarry Ridge in several ways
    1. About 1/2 mile of new trail. Who doesn't want more trail? :)
    2. By creating a connector from the picnic table back to the concrete bridge, you can ride a loop on the lower section avoiding all uphill sections. This will be an excellent beginner loop to introduce more people to the sport. It will also be great for snow biking!
    3. The connector will take you back to the base of the new uphill. By riding from the picnic table on the new trail, up the new uphill, down the long downhill, and then back to the picnic table, it will be possible to ride a 2.5-3 mile cross country loop without repeating any section. Add in the Sandy Climb and Tunnel Trail and it may be a 3-3.5 mile loop!

The trail will be one-way. The trail is fully flagged and it should be a faster trail for cruising fast for experienced riders or learning how to ride for beginners.

The trail days will be 11/9 and 11/16 starting at 8 am and continuing until 2 pm, or however long people want to stay. Any help is appreciated. Tools and bottled water will be provided. Bring gloves and wear appropriate clothing. There will be one person with a chainsaw clearing the corridor, and helpers are needed to remove the brush, rake the trail surface, and complete any benching and build berms.

The rush is on to build it before winter. This will be a great snow bike loop, so it needs to be cleared and rideable before the snow falls!

Update 11/3:
    A light breakfast will be provided (most likely donuts and coffee/juice). Be there at 8 am.
    Lunch is being planned for noon.
    If we have excess people, we will be working on polishing the old trail surface by removing stumps, bumps, or adding berms. Alternately, the new downhill trail for the spring has already been cut and some people could go pull all the brush off of it to prepare for completing the trail in the spring.

[attachment deleted by admin]

« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 07:56 AM by jeffb »

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

October 09, 2013, 09:42 PM

I should be able to make one of them; not sure which yet though.

XXX

October 11, 2013, 08:26 AM

I think I can be there on the 16th.

XXX

October 13, 2013, 06:58 PM

I started flagging some of the trail today. It's still overgrown.  Another week and I'll hopefully be able to see through the honeysuckle.

XXX
    singletrackminx

October 16, 2013, 05:17 PM

What about pulling all those two inch stumps I keep hurting myself on the trail built in may? I'd like to see that finished off before constructing more trail. I know others feel the same about that section.

XXX

October 18, 2013, 08:13 AM

What about pulling all those two inch stumps I keep hurting myself on the trail built in may? I'd like to see that finished off before constructing more trail. I know others feel the same about that section.

Depending on turnout, that is in the plan. The key is turnout. The new trail will be the first priority with spillover to stump removal as time permits.

XXX

October 18, 2013, 09:24 AM

Depending on turnout, that is in the plan. The key is turnout. The new trail will be the first priority with spillover to stump removal as time permits.

At this point I'm not sure if I can make the work day on either the 9th or 16th. However, I could possibly have some free time this weekend (tomorrow) or next weekend (pretty open at this time) if any anyone wants to walk the lower section and whack some stumps.

XXX

October 27, 2013, 03:43 PM

New trail is 100% flagged and the trail in the open spaces has been cleared down to stubble.

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    Trail Steward
    To Be A Man...

November 02, 2013, 09:33 AM

Jeff,

Apologies, but I can't make the 9th work date for sure, and possibly not on the 16th either.

Walt

XXX

November 03, 2013, 07:57 AM

Original message updated. We are planning on breakfast and lunch at this point.

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

November 05, 2013, 09:35 PM

I can't make 11/9 and 11/16 is not looking good either.  If anything I would have to leave pretty early on 11/16, will let you know if this changes.  Sorry!

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

November 08, 2013, 07:10 AM

I will be there tomorrow.

XXX

November 08, 2013, 08:07 AM

XXX

November 08, 2013, 09:08 AM

XXX

November 08, 2013, 09:21 AM

I should be able to make it for at least a while.

~ Go Big or Go Home