•  

Introduce yourself!

September 25, 2023, 02:55 PM

Probably better to address concerns to someone in CORP leadership via email. The board meetings are open to the public and generally posted in the events section of the CORP facebook.

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward

September 25, 2023, 03:36 PM

Hello Everyone!

I'm a Madison OneWheeler rider that really enjoys the CORP trails along with the rest of the OneWheel community. We would really like to keep it that way, so if there is any issues with OneWheels being on the CORP trails, can we PLEASE have a conversation? I'm more than happy to be the point person for the OneWheelers in the Madison area.

We do our best to be as respectful as possible to everyone on the trails. If it wasn't known, the trails actually benefit from OneWheels, since we pack them down with our wide tires.

I saw in some Facebook groups that there was an issue with a OneWheel group ride at Quarry Ridge this past weekend (9/23). The complaint being we had a large group going down Porkchop, blocking bikers. I can assure you we don't have normally have group rides on trails often, and we don't normally run large group trains down trails. This must have been the one time we went down as a group when I was giving the group a tour of the trails. Most OneWheelers that ride trails are experienced and ride at a reasonably fast pace and always move out of the way of bikers. I've been riding trails for over three years now and this is the first time we've had an issue. Most bikers are fascinated and impressed by the OneWheelers on trails.

Please don't take the CORP trails from the OneWheel community. It means so much to us on personal health level. I can't express how much healthy joy and benefit we get from these trails that is different than anything else.

Aside from the casual riders that love the trails for personal enjoyment, there are also OneWheelers that use these trails for race training. I, myself, travel around the country racing OneWheels and the CORP trails have most, if not all, the amenities to train effectively. With that being said, most OneWheelers on trails will be riding solo or in an experienced group with less than three riders.

Feel free to reach out to my on facebook, Instagram, or by email.
    https://www.facebook.com/danny.zahn
    https://www.instagram.com/zahnbefloatin
    dannyjzahn@gmail.com

Don't cancel us please, lets have a conversation.

Your local friendly floater,

Danny Zahn

This is a land manager issue where my last knowledge was all the area municipalities adopted or were adopting the 2019 Wisconsin Act 34 as local ordinance.

Act 34 was a mix of repeal, amend and create the new statutes that define and regulate. Defining is or was based on the industry's class 1, 2 and 3 bikes.

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2019/related/acts/34

As a trail steward I respect the ordinances where I volunteer, and always hope people behave in a way that respects the land managers, other users, and respects the huge amounts of efforts put in by volunteers.

OneWheel not being e-assist, and not fitting into the ordinance that allows mobility assist for being ill or disabled where the red flags last time I was aware of city hall dialog.

I just want to do trail steward stuff and hope for no trouble here.

XXX
    bajablaster
    Started riding in September '23

October 10, 2023, 10:24 AM

Hi everyone! Just started riding in September and loving it; especially Quarry Ridge and Cannonball Path. Trying to get as much out of the remainder of this season as I can, then super excited for the next.

I ride a pinkish-red Canyon Neuron. Currently working my way through intermediate trails, then advanced. If anyone has some advice on how to better handle steep S berms (like Northwoods at Quarry Ridge lol) let me know!

~ Until the day when God will deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is contained in these two words,—'Wait and hope.'

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward

October 10, 2023, 10:52 AM

Hi everyone! Just started riding in September and loving it; especially Quarry Ridge and Cannonball Path. Trying to get as much out of the remainder of this season as I can, then super excited for the next.

I ride a pinkish-red Canyon Neuron. Currently working my way through intermediate trails, then advanced. If anyone has some advice on how to better handle steep S berms (like Northwoods at Quarry Ridge lol) let me know!

Welcome.

The CamRock and Middleton social rides are still going on. They are friendly and can help skills building.

One piece of advice for what you ask is ride "light hands, heavy feet". If you ski or snowboard think of how hesitation buys you nothing and you need to be balanced and carve (butt off your bike seat). YouTube is full of better advice than from old me.

End of season does change things. You need to watch the conditions reports before you ride. It's not like the Tuesday and Thursday social rides but trail work days are often helpful for new riders in that you meet people and often ride too.

Enjoy!

XXX

October 10, 2023, 11:05 AM

Those berms can be somewhat tough even for experienced riders since they are pretty tight, especially the third berm. Try putting your berm side pedal down and putting the majority of your weight on the berm side pedal. At the same time lean away from the berm with your body. The best advice I can give is to just keep riding and ride with others, you will get better and more comfortable on the bike over time.

XXX

November 27, 2023, 08:41 AM

Hey Denny-  You may want to have your own conversation with the one wheelers who are acting like complete d**ks on the trails by clogging trails, clogging parking lots so people can't pull in or out, loudly screaming profanity at each other across parking lots.  Instead of coming in here and pre-emptively accusing people of "cancelling" you, perhaps you all should be courteous trail users and there wouldn't be complaints. None of the volunteers want to enforce trail rules, but we also don't want to be out in the woods with a bunch of guys screaming at the tops of their lungs at each other and who don't even attempt to share the trail with bikers. Sorry to be so blunt, but my last on-trail experience with one wheelers at Seminole was trash.