•  

Try Before You Buy Ride at Blackhawk

April 24, 2012, 03:29 PM

I have talked to the powers that be at Blackhawk and they have agreed to open up their 60 acres to anyone as a "first time guest" to ride there with a member.  I'm trying to get together a group ride out there.  They have grills all around and could make for an awesome way to spend a day.  Also it's the closest trail in existence to Madison, 10 miles from the capitol.  Membership for summer bike trail use is only 20 bucks too, 10 for students.

There is a bunch of really really cool trail there both uphill and downhill, cool wooden features, plus a nice smooth grassy ultra low penalty beginner skills area with very small ladder drops, logrides, and ground level skinnys.

Also for experts this place WILL challenge your skills with a few different trails that scare me a little still.  Also the trails are really just now starting to be developed with the addition of more xc singletrack this summer.

XXX

April 24, 2012, 05:30 PM

Here is the word that I got on the subject in text from Pat Remington

Patrick L'Heureux Remington

Tim: the formal policy--you must be a member to bike at Blackhawk. However, we realize that it's really not practical to ask someone to pay the membership (even if it is only $20/year ($10/students)--if they don't know what the club has to offer.

So in practice, I advise people to come out with a member to check it out. The first ride is as a guest. Anyone who comes back (if they like what they found), needs to pay a membership (it's easy to do online at Blackhawkskiclub.org). Otherwise they're trespassing, and ripping off people who do pay the membership and help to develop the trails.

Best of all--if you do decide to join, join William Lorman and other members of the BH mountain bike program to help make the club a great destination for all levels of mountain biking.

P.S. If you organize group ride, let me know and I'd be happy to join you.

XXX

April 24, 2012, 08:52 PM

Date anyone?

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

XXX

April 24, 2012, 09:05 PM

Next Sunday the May 6th @ noon?  Ride, grill, eat, ride, drink?

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

April 24, 2012, 09:54 PM

Anybody check if Pat can make it? His presence would be great on a few levels.

XXX

April 24, 2012, 09:59 PM

Possibly, mifflin is the day before but I shouldnt have a problem making it.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

XXX

April 24, 2012, 10:06 PM

I was first gonna see if anyone else wants to do it and if that date works before informing Pat of the date and stuff.

XXX

April 25, 2012, 01:33 PM

I actually signed up for a membership sight-unseen as I wanted some closer trails to ride, but I'd be interested in riding with some people who already know the trails out there. I'm doing BALLS this weekend, but would anyone want to head out there Monday or Tuesday night next week?

XXX

April 25, 2012, 03:33 PM

Im game for blackhawk tuesday night, pleasantview also.  U wont be disapointed, the place is badass.  But not mapped or obvious either!