•  

Fitness geeks only

March 05, 2012, 03:46 PM

Would anyone be interested in doing some morning training rides during the week? I'm hoping to do some intensity workouts, about 45 minutes long, a couple days a week once the weather gets friendly and would love to make it a regular group thing to keep the motivation up.

The temps are supposed to be in the upper 40's on Wed morning so that's going to be my first run at this, I'm planning to do repeats over the hill in the arboretum, probably 6 reps (or whatever works time wise), at 6:30am. I'm happy to go earlier if someone needs extra time to make it to work.

XXX

March 05, 2012, 03:52 PM

I might take you up on that, don't live to far away.  What bike are you riding for the training?

~ Burn rubber

XXX

March 05, 2012, 04:14 PM

What bike are you riding for the training?

I'm hoping to pick up a proper roadie this spring but for now I'm using a Masi Randonneur which only resembles a road bike.

XXX
    Dave
    Assistant Trail Stewart

March 05, 2012, 10:15 PM

That is mighty early for me but I can most likely make it. :)

Sorry for missing the other night of riding. I got home from xc skiing and just crashed.

~ "No regrets, that's my motto. That and everybody wang chung tonight"

XXX

March 06, 2012, 06:49 AM

Most likely after the kids get out of scholl before I can jump in, might also get back to full time commutes to work instead of quarry ridge every day after work, which requires me to take the car.

~ Burn rubber

XXX

March 06, 2012, 01:20 PM

Well there one firm commitment so far but we'll have to shift to slightly earlier to accommodate his work schedule. We'll be rolling from my house at 5:45 which should put us at the vilas entrance of the arb at 6am. 

XXX

March 06, 2012, 02:47 PM

5:45 certainly sucks, but that would be the magic time for me as well.  Still hoping for my after work ride tomorrow, but will latch on this soon.  What days, how many days a week?

~ Burn rubber

XXX

March 06, 2012, 03:02 PM

Yea, the time sucks but it's worth giving up a little sleep to ultimately have more fun on the trails. Right now the time and days will follow the weather and once it warms up a bit the plan is to do something every Tue and Thurs morning. We'll need to come up with different workouts to mix it up, but they should all be hard efforts and take about 40 minutes.

XXX

March 06, 2012, 03:19 PM

If we wanted to switch it up from time to time.  In Monona there are two steep hills right next to each other that are perfect for hill repeats.  We could do the lake route and incorporate something like that to get the lungs and legs burning.

~ Burn rubber

XXX

March 06, 2012, 03:34 PM

Perfect, I've been trying to think of other locations with hills or areas good for doing intervals. You're right, monona has quite a number of good hills.  Let's plan on something over there for the next session, come up with a good burner and count me in.

XXX
    selbig

March 06, 2012, 03:57 PM

If you're going to do this in Monona, I might join in once in awhile since it's close to my house. I can't really think of too many hills though. Nothing very long anyway.

XXX

March 06, 2012, 06:25 PM

Bill, if you can hammer 5 up and downs each on Baskerville and Mathis,  your in the wrong group anyways.. :P

~ Burn rubber

XXX

March 07, 2012, 10:22 AM

Any hill is better than sleeping in, you just have to hit it hard enough to get the intended effects :)  It was only Jin and me today but it was a nice morning and we were able to get in 6 repeats over the arb hill, we were spent and luckily the wind was at our backs for the ride home.

So the deal is I'll be trying to do something every Tues and Thurs morning if the weather is dry and 40deg+ (you can probably talk me into worse weather), meeting at 6am where ever the workout is that day.  These won't all be on the road, Quarry Ridge and Quarry Park are just as capable of delivering a beating as any street.

This would be a great way to wake up the legs for BALLS and get a jumpstart on Cheq 100 training.

XXX

March 07, 2012, 11:36 AM

That's way to early for me but I would be down to ride later, my schedule is pretty open and am also looking to do more rode this summer, I got out of shape last summer by doing downhill and dirt jumps!!  My route is around lake mendota, it's all up and down!  takes a little over two hours on my fixed gear rode bike, geared pretty low.

XXX
    Bin
    aka Ben

March 07, 2012, 12:47 PM

If the weather stays nice, I would probably be in for a Mendota loop next Friday (3/16).  I'm taking the day off so I could do morning or afternoon.

The other workouts sound good, but that's too early for me as well.