•  

Super steep trail to the right of the sandy bowl

Bin
    aka Ben

October 01, 2012, 09:57 AM

Doing a little exploring on Sunday I noticed that if you stay way right as you enter the sandy bowl (actually before you get into the bowl proper) that there is a trail that cuts between the bowl and the reroute of the ambulance climb.  It has a pretty huge roller into a very steep straight with a long run out.  Now, it definitely looks like it is a real trail and that it has been ridden but it is so much steeper than anything I've gone after before that I wasn't ready to attack it out there by myself.  So 2 questions I guess: Is that really a trail? And if so, is it just a matter of get over your rear wheel and hang on or is that more technical than it looks to me?  There were a few softball sized rocks sticking up but everything looked pretty rollable to me.

XXX

October 01, 2012, 05:05 PM

It's definitely ridden a decent amount. It used to be more of a drop bug has eroded. I usually dont have a problem just rolling it.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

XXX
    Schrader
    Trail Steward - Quarry Ridge

October 03, 2012, 03:08 PM

I treat it has a 3' drop and roll out the bottom half. Just above it I like to make a 90 deg right turn then a 180 left turn and roll thru the ditch then a slight hip right to make the drop. It makes that whole section a little more technical. I just did it on a "long lunch" ride.  :)

XXX

October 03, 2012, 07:52 PM

This was originally built to be just a straight drop.  Over the last decade the top has eroded and become more technical in nature.  I now hit it like schrader.  There is another brushed in cliff feature like this 75 ft north, but it didn't get ridden as much.  When you roll stuff like this make sure you are dragging your crotch on you back tire, you can roll anything this way and have no need for contraception.  :o