•  

Madison urban bike park

September 27, 2013, 09:28 PM

So where do you ride when the trails are to wet? ::)  You go to the Madison urban bike park- think skate park, but more gradual transitions.  If skaters can get a park, we should be able to also- everyone will be welcome too.  Think Verona sk8 park, but 4 times the size.  I have been riding Verona ( the park people don't seem to mind) and it is a lot of fun- plus you can ride right after a rain.  I know of the federal grants- keep kids from getting fat and connect them with the outdoors.  The money is there and why not have a Madison youth park that welcomes a diversity of recreational uses (buzz words)?  Massive fund raising campaign (several stakeholders) and it is on Dane county Parks property or the City of Madison.

XXX

September 27, 2013, 10:11 PM

I think this would be awesome! Most of the Madison area parks actually prohibit larger-than-bmx bikes and some of the other users (skaters, boarders, scooters) give you the stink eye when you ride.

XXX
    ebaher30
    A.K.A. Ethan

September 27, 2013, 10:35 PM

I agree this would be super fun! Would it be like quarter pipes and skate park stuff or just like cement jump lines? Either way it'd be super sick I'm just wondering. And when do you ride at Verona? I'm there a ton but I've never seen anyone else on a bike there

XXX

September 28, 2013, 09:03 AM

I like the metal prefab ramps because you slide down them and don't get abrasions.  Concrete is great, but has problems cracking... also concrete is easy to vandalize and very hard to mend.  Gradual transitions is key.  I would imagine  fun boxes, many large quarter pipes and a jump line of rollers.  Mini ramp and a few low handrails for skaters.  Would require one acre footprint.

I ride Verona at very random weekday times with my 4 year and 6 year old, they like the ramps and playground.

XXX
    ebaher30
    A.K.A. Ethan

September 28, 2013, 11:56 PM

Nice yeah that sounds really fun

XXX
    Schrader
    Trail Steward - Quarry Ridge
    Trail Steward

September 30, 2013, 08:50 AM

I ride the 26" jump bike there every once in awhile.
    It would be great too have a place like that in Madison. Great Idea.
    I would definitely ride there.

The one is Stoughton has a lot of potential. Metal ramps and dirt jumps.
    I haven't been this year, but have been the previous 2 years.
    I usually take a shovel to smooth out the jumps a bit before I ride.
    The whole place could use some work or a re-work.
    Pleasant View has a lot of potential too, but not worth going.
    If one happens in Madison, we have to make sure its done correctly from the start.

XXX
    singletrackminx

September 30, 2013, 09:19 AM

Funny how many people come onto a forum and bitch about the trails yet never show up to put some work into them. Personally I don't think I have a right to complain about something I didn't put some effort into building. remember there have been a lot of man hours put into these so called "worthless" bike parks/trails. If you don't like something and want to make it better you are more than welcome to come out and help.

Maybe also remember that the people who have devoted years of their lives to give you something to ride on and are fully aware of the potential at the trails also read these posts. I bet it's super fun to come on here and read how much you don't like what they've worked hard to give you.

Pleasent view in particular has a number of people who come out and enjoy it and work on it on a weekly basis. If its not your cup of tea that's cool but try to remember the effort that goes into building ALL our trails before saying they are worthless.

XXX
    Schrader
    Trail Steward - Quarry Ridge
    Trail Steward

September 30, 2013, 11:06 AM

"Funny how many people come onto a forum and bitch about the trails yet never show up to put some work into them."

You are so wrong about me.
    I have put in countless hours working on local trails. I will be out digging on my lunch hour today, like most weeks.
    I don't want this to go back and forth and be a place to complain. I totally appreciate all the work that has gone into all the trails in the area.
    Your are right, to say pleasant view is not worth going to was probably not the right thing to post.
    I have been building jumps and trails for 30 years now(mostly other places I have lived).
    This post is about dirt jumps and urban parks, not cross country or pump tracks.
    I am just saying that if we are going to try to get one of these developed we just need to get it right from the start.
    Most places do not have features for the expert rider.
    There a lot of riders that ride at a high level and many of these places don't cater to that level of riding.
    I think if one is developed it should be for all levels of riding.
    There should be features for learning and stuff for expert riders to push their abilities.

XXX

September 30, 2013, 12:35 PM

Most places do not have features for the expert rider.
    There a lot of riders that ride at a high level and many of these places don't cater to that level of riding.
    I think if one is developed it should be for all levels of riding.
    There should be features for learning and stuff for expert riders to push their abilities.

I completely agree with this statement. We are trying to add "expert" features and areas. Middleton Bike Park is where I am focusing my energies getting a skills area put together so that people can progress form the beginner to intermediate to expert.

We just put in 150ft of intermediate elevated trail.

I see a lot of things happening in Middleton next year, but  we must remember that "most" riders are beginner to intermediate, so building expert lines before the beginner stuff would be unfair to the majority of riders.

I look forward to putting in some expert  lines next year.

XXX

September 30, 2013, 06:29 PM

Schrader Quarry Park has again become a great place to ride mostly because of your efforts.  Daco, Rich, Alex, Tom and Cam have put a lot of work in too... and others I don't know ::).  How about we get more loads of dirt out there and keep making cool stuff and see how rad stuff gets with the synergy?  I go to QP to meet my needs...

Then we tie in with Jeff at QR and make more rad stuff there.  We need 40 yards of dirt at QR in a central location, then we can make improvements at our leisure with wheel barrels once Jeff approves.  The wheel barrow parties will get a lot done in a short order and the full spectrum of rider needs will be met- I promise.