•  

Trail is ready for all bikes, fats or skinnies

December 29, 2013, 10:24 AM

This morning the trail is packed and fast, from the trail through chert dip and to the ski trail crossing at the begging of holy schist. Conditions won't get much better it is hard packed, great traction and no roots or rocks.

XXX

January 03, 2014, 06:30 PM

Went out tonight Chert Dip, it is still smooth and fast any style bike or experience level will work. Tomorrow is a great day for a ride!!

Holy Schist needs work, no one has been on it since we packed it, 2 weeks ago. We really could use more traffic on it. Ideally snow shoes before the deep freeze and it will be rideable after it sets up. It is great snow shoe route take a group out to get it packed in for us. It is doable on a fat bike but, will need better skill level than I have to stay on line and/or larger tires for more float

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

January 04, 2014, 02:15 PM

Tried to head out Holy Schist backwards today...made it to where it crosses Flint Rock XC ski trail before I decided to turn around.

Climbing was really tough. Descending was easy. Would have taken 3 hours to get around all of HS. Shoulda snowshoed it but didn't have time.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

January 04, 2014, 02:16 PM

I think I saw you headed up that way as I was leaving today Spike...you have a Jeep and an orange 907?

XXX

January 04, 2014, 04:56 PM

Yes, that was me. Thanks for giving it a try. Brian went and snowedshoed with Beth this afternoon so, with tomorrows temps it should setup hard and hopefully be bikeable when it warms up.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

January 06, 2014, 11:10 AM

Brian went and snowedshoed with Beth this afternoon so, with tomorrows temps it should setup hard and hopefully be bikeable when it warms up.

Are you referring to Holy Schist here?

XXX

January 06, 2014, 01:00 PM

Yes, Brian and Beth got Holy Schist Snowshoed in on Saturday. With these temps it should be rideable.

XXX
    farmguy
    Trail Steward - The Farm
    Trail Steward

January 06, 2014, 11:47 PM

I went out sunday for a quick ride. Didn't do Holy Schist. Just rode 2 laps out and back to Basal & Pepper where it hits the ski trail. Trail was pretty fast, my bike computer said I averaged 7mph for the 12 miles.

There are 2 trees down on Gneiss & Smooth. The first was just past the #2 sign post, it's pretty good size but rideable, was there last week when I rode. The second one is a little ways past #3 sign post, it was not there last week. It sits up in the air about 2 1/2 ft, definitely above my skill level.

~ Here uncultivated acres wait prime for adventure....back 40

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

January 07, 2014, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the report on the trees down. The chainsaw was put away for the winter but I might take it out at some point. I'm currently battling the flu or something flu-like, so it won't be happening soon.

XXX

January 10, 2014, 07:48 PM

I'm gonna head up there from the Quad Cities tomorrow morning. Hope to see some bikes!

Also FYI the anti-spam "What year is it?" question still thinks it's 2013.