•  

Blue Mounds Conditions

February 21, 2014, 10:32 AM

I was out early this morning, The first part of the main loop up to the start of Holy Schist is in great condition.

4 of us got out and packed the fresh snow on Holy Schist Sunday so, it only has an inch or two on top of our tracks. I went about a 1/2 mile down it today and it is definitely ride-able. With more bikes on it, it will be fast!

It looks like a great weekend to get out.

XXX

February 22, 2014, 12:32 PM

Did the complete loop this morning. The trail is in great shape and will only get better!

The weather the next week is perfect for maintaining the trail.

Get out and ride!

XXX
    farmguy
    Trail Steward - The Farm
    Trail Steward

February 22, 2014, 07:14 PM

^  What Jay said.
    Doesn't get much better than this.
    Rode all the way around the Mound, turned around at the road and rode it all backwards. I was back to the parking lot in 2 hrs and 10 minutes. Don't think I could do it much faster in the summer on a regular bike.

Just my two cents worth, but I beginning to think Holy Schist is easier riding backwards. Yeah, you start out climbing right away up Home Scretch but it flows pretty good after that until about the last mile when you climb out to the beginning of Holy Schist.  8)

~ Here uncultivated acres wait prime for adventure....back 40

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

February 22, 2014, 07:28 PM

I used to think that, too. The last couple of times, not so much. Good to hear the trails are in good shape.

XXX

February 23, 2014, 06:40 AM

I agree w/Farmguy on Holy Schist... sounds like we did the same ride yesterday. Where the first lap (correct direction) was grueling, and had quite a few hike-a-bike climbs (maybe because of my legs) the second lap (opposite direction) was the most fun I've had biking on snow ever! Never had to push up a climb & the trail just seems to flow better in that direction.

XXX

February 26, 2014, 06:23 PM

I know this is repetitive and it is cold out.... but the trail is fast, flowy and a blast.

Don't miss Blue Mounds when it is in this condition, dress right and make time to get out on it! Pushing a slow and heavy bike, it was under an hour parking lot to parking lot.

We have some potential snow now and through the weekend. If we can keep some constant traffic on it during the snow, we could maintain the condition for a few more weeks.

XXX
    farmguy
    Trail Steward - The Farm
    Trail Steward

March 02, 2014, 08:40 PM

The little snow we got through the weekend didn't slow it down to much. Like Jay says, it's still fast and flowy and a blast.

I did three laps around the mound today. Really, an out and back is a good days ride, but I'm signed up for the fatbike birke next weekend so I wanted to get 3 hours of riding in. Out and back and then the third lap was backwards---3hrs 13mins riding time on my computer. 8)

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

March 02, 2014, 08:50 PM

You're a beast, Greg.  Good luck next weekend.  I'm hoping to get out on my low-fat bike before it thaws, but I just don't have the gear to cut it under 25 degrees or so.

XXX

March 04, 2014, 08:52 PM

Are you planning to attend the Fat-Bike.com after party Farmguy? We'll have to have some beers...   ;D

XXX
    farmguy
    Trail Steward - The Farm
    Trail Steward

March 05, 2014, 06:02 AM

I am staying overnight until sunday, so I will most likely go to the after race party. With Gomez around I'm sure he'll keep things fun.

Still on the fence about doing the sunday morning ride.