•  

Blue Mound Trail Conditions

May 07, 2014, 01:29 PM

Anyone know what things are like currently? Anyone have an idea if there is any chance it will be open by the weekend?

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

May 07, 2014, 02:08 PM

Anyone know what things are like currently? Anyone have an idea if there is any chance it will be open by the weekend?

I was there last night blowing leaves. It's getting close but there are still areas where it's muddy and many more where it's very tacky. If there is any amount of rainfall between now and Saturday it's doubtful that the trails would open.

The issue with opening the trails for the season is that once they open people will start riding on them even if it's rained recently, and the park is unlikely to keep up with closing and opening the trails as conditions warrant. This is why there is a conservative approach to opening the trails. I hope this makes sense.

XXX

May 07, 2014, 02:13 PM

yes, thanks for the reply!

XXX
    Gary S
    Administrator

May 07, 2014, 02:46 PM

yes, thanks for the reply!
    You're welcome. The good news is that once they open they should be in pretty good shape. Someone will update the trail conditions on this website as soon as they open, so keep checking in.

XXX

May 07, 2014, 09:38 PM

The issue with opening the trails for the season is that once they open people will start riding on them even if it's rained recently, and the park is unlikely to keep up with closing and opening the trails as conditions warrant. This is why there is a conservative approach to opening the trails. I hope this makes sense.

I tend to disagree with this statement... I think Blue Mounds has the most control (along with John Muir) over when people can or cannot ride as there is actually a person at the gate checking trail passes & a sign stating whether the trails are open or closed.  Just my $.02

XXX
    Gary S
    Administrator

May 07, 2014, 10:13 PM

I tend to disagree with this statement... I think Blue Mounds has the most control (along with John Muir) over when people can or cannot ride as there is actually a person at the gate checking trail passes & a sign stating whether the trails are open or closed.  Just my $.02

Thanks for your input.  You are correct in that there is a good degree of official control, but there is not always someone at the gate, and there are other ways to access the trails that bypass the park entrance. I think in the past we've also tried to avoid burdening the park staff; it's ultimately their call as they control the ability to change the sign and have the keys to the gate (i.e. they have the convenience of physically being there).  I know they have expressed interest in being able to update the trail status on our website, and I've been meaning to look into it.

XXX
    Renegade Rick
    Webmaster
    Administrator

May 11, 2014, 07:14 AM

I know they have expressed interest in being able to update the trail status on our website, and I've been meaning to look into it.

All they need is an account on this site. Once that is setup, give them the Trail Conditions Reporter as an additional group.

If there are any other folks who have reliable knowledge of trail conditions, they could be given this permission too. That is all it allows, trail conditions reporting.

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

May 11, 2014, 05:45 PM

William and I checked Blue Mound this morning.

Even before this afternoon's rain it was too wet to open the trails. Until the trees leaf out it's going to take a week to dry off any significant amount of rain. We're working on making the trails more weather resistant, but we're not there yet.

Walt

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

May 18, 2014, 06:02 PM

The trails are still closed as of Sunday, May 18th.

It's improving, but there is standing water in spots on Holy Schist.

Walt