•  

Coming to Blue Mound: Partial Trail Opening

Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

June 28, 2014, 09:35 PM

I met briefly with Kevin today to report our progress with the reroute, and ask about the variance.

At the end of our conversation, I brought up the idea of opening Over Lode trail separately from the rest of the trails, because they dry up faster. He is concerned that if he does open Over Lode, there is nothing to prevent riders from continuing back into the mound area (beginner-Chert Dip-Serpentine Climb). He also doesn't want to tie up additional staff time with opening and shutting additional gates, and with driving around to check several different places to verify the trail conditions.

I came up with a single area that can be used to check both trail loops. He agreed that if trail riders are sent to park at the Pleasure Valley trail crossing of Mounds Road, there will be less incentive for them to continue on around the mound loop.

This is going to be a trial run. Kevin asked me to emphasize that riders caught abusing the privilege by using the Mounds Road parking as a way to gain unauthorized access to the closed trails are subject to a fine of several hundred dollars, and this will likely also result in going back to having all the trails closed when any are.

The strongest argument  I came up with to support my request was that there has been very good compliance by bike riders with the trail closures. Thanks to everyone who has helped this spring and last spring with a difficult situation.

I'm not sure exactly how the new system will be implemented. We will try to stay on top of the situation, but if you are in doubt the best bet is to call the park office at 608-437-5711.

Please be aware that the parking on Mounds Road is very limited. This is a very imperfect solution to the problem of excessively wet trails. Long term, we need to get back to turnpiking the worst areas in the beginner section, and rerouting in Holy Schist.

Walt

XXX

June 29, 2014, 04:41 AM

Thanks Walt, that's a great idea.

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    To Be A Man...

June 29, 2014, 05:59 AM

Thanks Walt, that's a great idea.

It was actually Richard Shick's idea. I'm pleased that Kevin has faith that the mountain bikers will continue to show the responsibility to make this work. It's been a tough spring, I'm pleased to see something go in the right direction.

Walt

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

June 29, 2014, 08:19 AM

I met briefly with Kevin today to report our progress with the reroute, and ask about the variance.

At the end of our conversation, I brought up the idea of opening Over Lode trail separately from the rest of the trails, because they dry up faster. He is concerned that if he does open Over Lode, there is nothing to prevent riders from continuing back into the mound area (beginner-Chert Dip-Serpentine Climb). He also doesn't want to tie up additional staff time with opening and shutting additional gates, and with driving around to check several different places to verify the trail conditions.

I came up with a single area that can be used to check both trail loops. He agreed that if trail riders are sent to park at the Pleasure Valley trail crossing of Mounds Road, there will be less incentive for them to continue on around the mound loop.

This is going to be a trial run. Kevin asked me to emphasize that riders caught abusing the privilege by using the Mounds Road parking as a way to gain unauthorized access to the closed trails are subject to a fine of several hundred dollars, and this will likely also result in going back to having all the trails closed when any are.

The strongest argument  I came up with to support my request was that there has been very good compliance by bike riders with the trail closures. Thanks to everyone who has helped this spring and last spring with a difficult situation.

I'm not sure exactly how the new system will be implemented. We will try to stay on top of the situation, but if you are in doubt the best bet is to call the park office at 608-437-5711.

Please be aware that the parking on Mounds Road is very limited. This is a very imperfect solution to the problem of excessively wet trails. Long term, we need to get back to turnpiking the worst areas in the beginner section, and rerouting in Holy Schist.

Walt

Thank you for the update.

Kevin, the regional parks supervisor Paul, and the rangers have been reasonable and understanding so this may work out well.

The old ski area parking lot was discussed as a bike parking spot long ago. The points were keeping the small area along the road available for other users, and parking lot as a single place for checking any compliance or doing enforcement. Those rangers are no longer in the park but the idea could be recycled. Some mowing would have to happen, and probably a porta potty.

Re additional staff time, the DNR should consider the demographics and data. From what I gather hunting is in decline at same time mountain biking is growing. Mountain bikes bring tourism year round. I count 3 Trek bikes as well as products from Saris and Pacific Cycle in my garage. How many "good jobs" are those? I see repeat visitors at the bike park come from IL and do Blue Mound, the bike park and Quarry Ridge in a weekend. They do it a few times a year and probably top what a hunter puts into the WI economy. S said, Kevin, the regional parks supervisor Paul, and the rangers have been good partners but other elements in the park show the DNR as quite dysfunctional.

Forgetting tourism, the Cam Rock and Blackhawk youth programs have growth topping 100%. The DNR should embrace this for tourism and the local economy it is. Again, Kevin, the regional parks supervisor Paul, and the rangers have been partners but it appears DNR as a whole or the policy makers they report to do not function as well.