XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

April 04, 2014, 08:53 AM

I've got a compressor.
    And I like beer.
    Would like to give tubeless a try myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    Tom Harron
    Former Club President
    Former President and Race Director of Battle of CR

April 04, 2014, 09:03 AM

Don't forget the milky goodness for inside the tire. Stans!

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

April 04, 2014, 09:09 AM

Split tube method worked easy-peasy for me on my Rolling Daryl.

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

April 04, 2014, 11:09 AM

Split tube method worked easy-peasy for me on my Rolling Daryl.

What size tube?

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

April 04, 2014, 11:29 AM

Here's what I did...

Surly rimstrip.
    A couple layers of Gorilla tape.

These tubes stretched over the rim, then I cut them down the center to splay them open over the rim.
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=21315&category=201
    (Choose the 2.4-2.75" version)

Put the tire on...the tube will be between the tire and the rim at the bead. Add a bunch of Stan's fluid and air up.  Trimmed the extra tube hanging out of the rim. 

The only real downfall of this method I can see is I'll likely need a new Q-tube every time I change the tire.  This won't be an issue for me after I get the Nate/Lou combo mounted up as they'll be on there "permanently" for my winter wheels.  I have a second "skinny" wheelset for the fatty now.

XXX

April 04, 2014, 12:58 PM

I was able to get away with a much simpler method:

Surly rim strip removed.
    A durable reflective tape over the drilled holes which looks cool and provides protection equivalent to the rim strip.
    1 layer of extra wide gorilla tape very carefully applied so that it contours with the bead on the rim
    Extra helping of stans

That's it, and it's been holding fine for winter pressures (~4psi). I am using the old (narrow by modern standards) large marge rims so which might have made life easier, and a standard Larry. A previous attempt where the tire was making direct contact with the rim failed to seal, but with a layer of gorilla tape between the tire and the rim it's been holding solid.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

April 04, 2014, 04:36 PM

From what I have seen over on the Fat Bike forums on mtbr, how in depth you need to go on the tubeless setup is highly dependent on the rims and tires being used.
    Surly Darrell's seem to be about the worst, because they have a very poor bead lock.
    And the Surly tires make it worse because they are also very loose.
    I know my Holy Darrell's with Surly tires are a handful to get started with a tube, as they are so loose fitting they just want to fall off.
    So are we going to have a tubeless mounting party or what? I am sure a lot could be learned. And it sounds like fun to me.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

April 04, 2014, 11:14 PM

Compressor here and willing to help out.... Gorilla tape method would be my go to, with Stans valves...

XXX

April 07, 2014, 11:47 AM

Call/Text me neighbor. I just set mine up tubeless. Also, photography.