•  

When is Cam-Rock usually ready to ride in spring?

March 19, 2014, 02:47 AM

How long does it usually take for all of this snow to melt, the ground to dry up, and the trails to finally get ride-able without damage again?

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

March 19, 2014, 10:03 AM

Now that is the million dollar question! Unfortunately too many variables to answer. I am glad you posted this though because if there is ever any time that we need to stay off the trails it is now. And it is the hardest because we are all itching to get out and ride. But when the ground thaws it is complete soup. No firmness at all. Huge ruts will be left in the trails and cause massive erosion this time of year. This is exacerbated by the melting snow and typically wet and rainy time of year. If your tires are ever leaving more than the tread pattern in the dirt then the trails should not be used by any users.

As to your post: On a typical year around first week of April the trail is ready to ride. There have been years when the trail was dry and dusty by now. I expect this year to be on the other end of the spectrum unless we get a dramatic change in weather. The frost is also extremely deep this year and will take a long time to come out. As of yesterday the majority of the trail still had 3-4" of ice to melt. Then the ground needs to thaw. Then it needs to dry enough to firm up. Then we can ride!

My best guess this year is mid-April. But again, lots of variables can affect that, and they all revolve around the weather. A warm rain would speed this process up a lot. But as I write this it is alternating between sleet and snow.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

March 19, 2014, 04:38 PM

I was actually being kinda pessimistic and expecting it might be May before we can ride this year with the weather being what it has/is, so mid-April would be good news! This cold winter is just messing everything up.

XXX

March 19, 2014, 06:08 PM

How long does it usually take for all of this snow to melt, the ground to dry up, and the trails to finally get ride-able without damage again?

for-EVER!!!!!!!

spring blows.  Ill be in my boat.

~ Heavily caffeinated, for your protection.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

March 20, 2014, 08:27 AM

One sure way to shorten the wait for dirt. I'm grabbing my oldest and heading to the slopes. Predictions are for a powder weekend at Bohemia!

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

March 20, 2014, 09:24 AM

Probably a good spring to try put on your best roadie impersonation, I predict a lot more hairy legs on road bikes the next month or two.

XXX

March 20, 2014, 09:32 AM

I was actually being kinda pessimistic and expecting it might be May before we can ride this year with the weather being what it has/is, so mid-April would be good news! This cold winter is just messing everything up.
    I you can bet it will be May for Quarry Ridge.

~ Burn rubber

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

March 20, 2014, 05:25 PM

You'd think Wisconsin is turning into Westeros or something.

XXX
    Renegade Rick
    Webmaster
    Administrator

March 20, 2014, 06:54 PM

One sure way to shorten the wait for dirt. I'm grabbing my oldest and heading to the slopes. Predictions are for a powder weekend at Bohemia!

Awesome! Enjoy!

XXX
    JHenry
    Technical Terrain (TTF) Crew

March 21, 2014, 01:01 PM

You'd think Wisconsin is turning into Westeros or something.

Here's to hoping for a long summer  8)
    XXX

March 27, 2014, 12:18 AM

I you can bet it will be May for Quarry Ridge.
    Does Cam-Rock usually dry faster than Quarry Ridge? Or do some trails in general dry faster than others? What one is usually first in our area? And that sucks if Quarry is one of the slower ones. That's the one right near my house.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

March 27, 2014, 09:53 AM

My impression is that Quarry Ridge and CamRock are pretty close for trail readiness. Blue Mound is usually a fair bit slower and depends on the thawing and draining of the mound.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

March 27, 2014, 05:32 PM

I'll add that several past years the trails dried out for a week or two after the thaw, then got muddy for several weeks. Keep an eye out for this... Just because they were OK one weekend doesn't mean they'll be good the rest of the spring. The trails get bone dry later in the summer and can tolerate larger amounts of rain, in the spring the ground is still close to saturation.