•  

CamRock Trail Conditions. Details. Details...

February 08, 2015, 12:21 PM

Got out this morning with the temps below freezing to snowshoe some of the trails with the family.  Started out at CamRock 3 with the new trail to the left of Beer Run and Fun n Done, not sure of the name.  Had a couple tire tracks and needed to be flattened.  Continued to the bottom of the hill and jumped over to Stonefly up to Woodchuck.  Ducked out at the open meadow due to my four year old son being done. 

Planning on getting out after work 2-3 times a week and should be able to cover some good ground by myself.  Are there any trails anyone would prefer to be flattened?

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

February 08, 2015, 01:17 PM

Thanks for getting out there. With the warm daily temps, once these trails freeze and set  up they are going to be perfect! BTW: The trail name is Gettin' Started - the easiest trail out of the CR3 trailhead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

February 11, 2015, 12:11 PM

I am posting this from California and have not been on the trails in a week, so take it with a grain of salt.....

Reports are that the trails are in really good condition right now. Please post up if that is not the case. Temperatures look good for the next week to have great riding conditions. Get out and enjoy the snow!

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

February 11, 2015, 12:16 PM

I was just out there. It's a mixed bag really. Creekside and Outback are well packed, primo. A small loop from the CR3 trailhead is rideable but rough, with s narrow track. You can ride outbound from CR3 to the outback, very rough and few tracks, but the return trail hasn't been ridden in at all past the prairie.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

February 23, 2015, 01:52 PM

With my infected lungs I have not been able to get out much. But I have done some snowshoeing. Everything I saw was rideable and in good to great condition.
    Looks like the creek side trails are great.
    Connector is rougher but rideable. That was Friday, it might be even better after the weekend of riding on it.
    I have not gotten on the CR III trails to see what is and is not groomed.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

February 28, 2015, 12:43 AM

I was finally able to get out for a bit on Thursday. Everything I saw was in really good to great condition!
    A couple of weeks back some people rode the trails when they were really soft. They left a bunch of ruts behind that were really tricky to navigate in spots. The little bit if packy snow was just enough to take away any of the slippery spots left from that.
    Overall the trail is riding fantastic right now. The best in weeks. And the temps should hold perfect conditions through the weekend.
    Normal high temps for this time of year are in the high 30's. So we are blessed to have these great conditions this late in the year. Don't waste it. Get out and ride while it is good. It could be gone with just a couple of days of warn temps :'(

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

March 10, 2015, 03:29 PM

So our switch has flipped and spring is roaring in. Trails will be closed until further notice.... Let's hope it keeps up and we are riding dirt in a couple of weeks. In the meantime give those paved trails a try. They have been lonely without you ;)

Full disclosure: I have been out on the trails the last two mornings....doing research for the spring trail work that will be needed to whip the trails back into shape. That is what I tell myself anyway. Though in reality I was able to do it on the bike. When I woke yesterday I knew with the thermometer at 23 degrees I would have a bit of time to ride before the fast-coming melt. And today the temp was at 28, and I knew with the thick fog I had a short window as well. Did about a half lap each day before things started to loosen up. And it happens fast. One of the advantages of living next to the trail. I can get some riding, get out as soon as any soft dirt appears, and still be happy as heck to get what I got.

This is the time of year when major erosion happens. The freeze/thaw cycles of fall & winter have the soil really loose with no compaction to protect it. Anywhere the trail is carrying water at all is washing away now. It is hard to watch it happen and know that there is nothing that can be done to stop it for now. On the other hand this is the time us Trail Stewards do a lot of work analysing the trail. You can really see where the issues are going to be this spring/summer. It becomes real obvious where the trail maintenance will be needed this spring.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

March 10, 2015, 06:18 PM

Not sure if this is the appropriate place to post, but I'm wondering if there is any need for any new or replacement bridges for the trails. I have a deck that I'm taking down and would rather see the wood get recycled then thrown out. Also, I could probably build some smaller bridges that could be easily be transported. Let me know if there's any interest. This is something that could be accomplished this weekend.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

March 10, 2015, 07:34 PM

PM sent.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

March 21, 2015, 05:59 PM

Thanks for being patient folks while the trails are thawing. I checked the trails again today, and we are getting closer. There is still some frost a foot down, but it is going fast. The wetter areas sre still very soft. But with the lack of precipitation, the trails are drying quick. If we have a dry week we should be riding dirt by next weekend! Cross your fingers.....

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

March 25, 2015, 08:24 PM

So do you think it will freeze up enough for an early morning ride on Saturday?

XXX
    g
    And last but not least.......

March 25, 2015, 08:31 PM

So do you think it will freeze up enough for an early morning ride on Saturday?
    Levis is supposed to be open on Sat it looks like.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

March 25, 2015, 08:45 PM

Levis did not get 6" of snow this week,nap they should be good to ride. They are also sandy.
    As for CamRock, you know I am all for folks riding as much as possible as long as you are being good stewards of the trail. I will not be home until Friday night, so this is an educated guess from afar. With 17 degree predicted overnight, the trails should certainly be froze enough for an early morning ride. It is also predicted to be sunny, so I would plan to be off the trails by 8a. Any bare ground will soften very quickly. You could prolly even go out late at night as long as it's dark and a bit below freezing. As always I just ask the land and trails to be respected. If it is soft, get off the singletrack. Ride the doubletrack, the roads, or come back another day.
    Ride on!

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    608-772-7833

April 03, 2015, 08:37 PM

Somebody has been going to church. Your prayers are answered. CamRock is open ;D
    If you have a fatty, please ride that. You will do the trail much more good 8)
    There are a couple of soft areas, in places I did not expect. Like open prairies. Overall the trail is soft and needs tires to pack/armor it.
    Most all of the climbs in the prairie areas are rutted from the trail washing out. We will be working on these next weekend.
    There is a tree down on Beaver Hole.
    And some dweeb dragged a ton of dead trees & branches across the end of Veritas. Feel free to remove them, I ran out of time.
    I also did not have time to ride Outback and Getting Started.
    Please post up if you find other issues that need addressed.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

April 05, 2015, 09:09 AM

I got those trees/branches moved off the end of Veritas.  Somebody put some work into making that pile.