•  

Winter gearing on a fatbike? Bluto, anyone?

September 26, 2014, 02:05 PM

Is anyone running 1x10 or 1x11 here around Madison? I am taking the plunge into the fat-world and am weighing X1. I like the idea of having the 10-42 range especially for softer snow conditions, but don't know if it is really that necessary compared to 11-36 for 10 speed. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience to weigh in on this?

Second question, is anyone running a Bluto yet? Is suspension on a fat bike worth it? Only in the summer?

I can basically afford to go with either the 1x11, or the Bluto, but not both. Thanks in advance for any wisdom or guidance.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

September 26, 2014, 02:30 PM

I personally see no need for a Bluto in the winter. Can't imagine the need for it. Though I really look forward to trying one out on the dirt.

As for 1x11. I can see the simplicity of that. Though setting it up for super low range is where I would go. If you are like me and ride in all conditions, there are times you will ride for hours and average 3.5 MPH.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

September 26, 2014, 02:39 PM

I agree with Chuck's sentiments.

I run 1x10; 32t up front, 11-36t in the back. In the snow I sometimes wish it was geared lower, but I ride the fatty year-round so I went with a bit of a trade-off.

XXX
    Tim Barber
    Board Member at Large

September 26, 2014, 03:56 PM

If you are going 1x__ and not getting something with a granny cog (42), IMHO, save your dough and just get 1x8 or 1x9.  I am running 30 up front and 12-36 in back on an 8 speed.  Same gear range as some of the pricier gear.  Yeah, shifting isn't as smooth as a 1x10, but its winter and your drivetrain gets wonky anyways. Also, have the have to go 1x9 and then swap out a cog for one of the custom 42 granny's, which is still less than a 1x11.

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

September 26, 2014, 03:59 PM

I don't have a fat bike, so obviously different, but I run 1x11 with 10-42 in back and 28 in front. I honestly don't know how anyone could run bigger than that around here esp. if you do the big climb at Blue Mounds. I suppose if you're in much better shape than me, which is entirely possible. As far as high end, I've gotten it going as fast as I can get (30 mph maybe?) and have never wished I had more.

As far as not having a front derailleur... Good riddance.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 04:02 PM by Gary S »

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

September 26, 2014, 05:00 PM

I always think about how often I could use lower gearing (often) versus how often I run out on the high end (basically never). And even then, do I really need it? Nope. But I not ofter chasing that trophy or belt buckle either :D

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

September 26, 2014, 07:52 PM

Got the Norco Sasquatch in stock if you wanna take it for a test ride and try out the bluto at Trail This.

XXX

September 27, 2014, 09:57 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. My plan is to also build up a 29+ wheelset for my fatbike, and this will likely end up being my only geared mountainbike and I am planning to ride it year-round. That's one reason I was considering going straight to the Bluto. I ride single speed in general, so I am only worried about gearing in terms of having enough snow traction, and not about my legs so much. The 42 tooth on the 1x11 certainly would help a lot for sitting and pedaling up climbs.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

September 27, 2014, 10:42 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. My plan is to also build up a 29+ wheelset for my fatbike, and this will likely end up being my only geared mountainbike and I am planning to ride it year-round. That's one reason I was considering going straight to the Bluto. I ride single speed in general, so I am only worried about gearing in terms of having enough snow traction, and not about my legs so much. The 42 tooth on the 1x11 certainly would help a lot for sitting and pedaling up climbs.

Make sure that the bike you choose has room for the 29+ wheelset...not all of them do.  I think if you're going with something that has room for the 5" tires on 100mm rims (most 190mm frames) you'll be fine.  IIRC, few of the 170mm frames will have room for a true 29+ wheelset ( 3.0" tires on 50mm rims).  I know the Mukluks with Alternators will work...there may be others, but check before you buy!

XXX

September 27, 2014, 02:42 PM

If your worried about clearance on the 29+ i have some Vee Rubber Trax Fattys in stock we can pop on and check fitment.

XXX

September 27, 2014, 07:39 PM

Thanks Nate. I am pretty certain clearance won't be an issue, more so on a Bluto than in the rear. But just from a general use perspective, running a Bluto seems to make more sense on a year-round fatbike than just in the winter. I think I am leaning toward going with the X1 over the shock. That's an easier upgrade to make in the future anyway. Thanks again.

XXX

September 29, 2014, 09:05 PM

I have been riding in the snow for over 20 years now. Needless to say I've been doing it since long before it was cool (shout-out to any IceBike list-serve members out there).

With that I mind, I would recommend having the equivalent of a 22x34 low gear. I find that I spend a large portion of my time in this gear in the snow. I run 8-speed with 22/32 up front and 12-34 in the back, this is a winter only bike.

A 26x42 might do it. Do they make a 26t narrow-wide chainring?

My suggestion for ideal gearing for you, considering your year-round intentions would be a 2x10: 22/36 up front an 11-36 in back.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 09:07 PM by GoodOak »

XXX

October 01, 2014, 03:19 PM

Smallest 104 bcd narrow-wide is a 30t combined with a 11-36 is a reasonable ratio. If you want a little more Hope makes a T-Rex ring as well as Wolf tooth makes a 40t cassette ring that substitutes for a higher gear ring. Those 40t's average around $100 Retail.

XXX

October 01, 2014, 09:12 PM

30x36 isn't going to cut it in the snow.