•  

7/1 BBB BlueMounds

Nelson
    Former Club President
    I ride bikes

July 01, 2012, 09:06 AM

I'm out. Time management issues. Have fun.

~ i like social d

XXX

July 01, 2012, 06:34 PM

Thanks to those who came out.  A good hot ride for sure.  My loop was the main trail around the mound...backwards...which was fun for a change.  Yeah it was hot hot hot.

The Bells beer and braunschweiger sandwich at Hooterville really hit the spot.

~ I like beer and men

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    Trail Steward
    To Be A Man...

July 01, 2012, 08:32 PM

Yes, it was too hot to ride hard today, but I had fun anyway. Good riding with fellow CORPsers (better than CORPses?) Seems like everyone spreads out fast when the nice weather hits!

Walt

XXX

July 01, 2012, 09:13 PM

Me, Garrett, Wes, and Mike corrected the logistical issues with this ride.

1. Who parks at the top of the hill so they have to climb in the blistering heat at the end of a ride (coughROADIEScough)? Clearly the lower lot made more sense.
    2. We showed up at 2:15 and the whole group was gone! Since when did any mountain bike ride leave within half an hour of the designated meeting time? Everyones gear must have been tragically under adjusted, did anyone triple check the torque on their seat binder bolt? It's amazing that everyone made it out alive.
    3. It was far to hot to be doing the whole loop. We putzed through overload and called it a day (with a pokerville bonus for those who wanted a little extra). No one wins a prize for draining their camel paks.
    4. Had anyone bothered to park in the right place they might have noticed the swimming pool. Bars are nice and all, but after flirting with heat stroke on the trails the pool was the only responsible place to go.

It's shameful what passes as a 'mountain biker' these days.

XXX

July 01, 2012, 09:26 PM

1. Who parks at the top of the hill so they have to climb in the blistering heat at the end of a ride (coughROADIEScough)? Clearly the lower lot made more sense.
    -I never realized "mountain" bikers would whine so much about the chance to get a little extra climbing in.  Next time we'll park at the bottom so the lycra clad roadies don't have to show you up.  By the way I won that damn climb.

2. We showed up at 2:15 and the whole group was gone! Since when did any mountain bike ride leave within half an hour of the designated meeting time? Everyones gear must have been tragically under adjusted, did anyone triple check the torque on their seat binder bolt? It's amazing that everyone made it out alive.
    -2:15?  The meeting time was clearly 2:00.  Not my fault you operate on some southern influenced Gerogian time schedule.  I lubed my chain last fall so my gear was good to go.

3. It was far to hot to be doing the whole loop. We putzed through overload and called it a day (with a pokerville bonus for those who wanted a little extra). No one wins a prize for draining their camel paks.
    -It wasn't even a full loop!  Just the stuff around the mound backwards!  We thought about Overload but figured anybody tackling those climbs in todays heat was probably suffering from incurable mental illness.

4. Had anyone bothered to park in the right place they might have noticed the swimming pool. Bars are nice and all, but after flirting with heat stroke on the trails the pool was the only responsible place to go.
    -A swimming pool over beer? When did they add a bikini clad cocktail waitress?  They didn't?!?  Wow, I've lost all respect

~ I like beer and men

XXX

July 01, 2012, 09:47 PM

Don't think for one second that we skipped the bar. On a related note, the grumpy troll has a great pizzeria upstairs, i have no idea how much their oven weighs but the pizza is greasy ( in a good way) and you don't have to byob.

XXX

July 01, 2012, 09:55 PM

Don't think for one second that we skipped the bar. On a related note, the grumpy troll has a great pizzeria upstairs, i have no idea how much their oven weighs but the pizza is greasy ( in a good way) and you don't have to byob.

And good thing you went to the troll!  The Naked Elm is no longer in business.

~ I like beer and men

XXX

July 01, 2012, 10:06 PM

And good thing you went to the troll!  The Naked Elm is no longer in business.
    Bummer, they did make tasty pizzas but I can't say I'm terribly shocked that their concept didnt work in bm.

XXX

July 02, 2012, 11:06 AM

oh well.. we were like" did anyone see anything at the parking lot" and "nobody knows nothing" or " nobody tell me nothin"

so we rolled .

the road up the top of the hill overlooks the pool but i don't think anyone bothered to stop or even drive down there to check.

apology needed?

~ It's not the ride, it's the rider.
    Go big or go home.
    Know what you are up against.

XXX
    dburatti
    Builder of trails. Rider of bikes.

July 02, 2012, 11:37 AM

1. I was apprehensive about having to ride back up to the top driving into the park, but the way we rode the trails was the funnest I have ever done it.  Besides, it was a short ride up the road from the pool to the top. Anybody that calls himself a mountain biker surely would have the strength, stamina, and skill to ride 300 yards up pavement.

2. We rolled at 2:15; you must've showed up at 2:15:59.  Walk asked what time it was, and I glanced at my phone, which read 2:10, and told him.  He said, "Let's wait another five minutes."  2:15 came, and we went.

3. I probably started with two liters in my pack out of three liter bladder and barely drank half of it. I think some people over-hydrate in this "heat."  Of course, hydrating before the ride is the way to go so one doesn't have to
    drink so much during the ride.

4. The right place to park was the top of the hill where the ride call stated it would start, i.e. if you wanted to be part of the group ride.  The reason to start there was to grill out at one of the picnic areas at the top of the hill; the decision to not grill out was made at the poker run, but the decision to start at the hill top remained b/c some people might not have seen the change on Facebook.

D

~ I love my job!

XXX

July 02, 2012, 11:39 AM

Ok, I'm sorry. We should have let everyone know ahead of time that a dip in the pool was going to be a much better option than stinking up a bar.  I'll put forth more of an effort to make sure the whole group at least knows about the best leisure options next time.

XXX

July 02, 2012, 11:45 AM

...Anybody that calls himself a mountain biker surely would have the strength, stamina, and skill to ride 300 yards up pavement.

Yea, truth is I don't think I could handle such a monster of a hill and didn't want to be seen walking it.

XXX
    g
    And last but not least.......

July 02, 2012, 03:53 PM

Ok, I'm sorry. We should have let everyone know ahead of time that a dip in the pool was going to be a much better option than stinking up a bar.  I'll put forth more of an effort to make sure the whole group at least knows about the best leisure options next time.

Well I would say that pool makes Blue Mounds a much better trail option than usual given this heat.  And with the Grumpy Troll being so close it has a slight leg up on the CamRock/Heather's combo pack.  Now if we could only do something about the baby head hill of death that claimed me as another victim.

XXX
    Tom Harron
    Former Club President
    Former President and Race Director of Battle of CR

July 02, 2012, 04:14 PM

I can speak for the pool conditions. Family wanted a bike ride and pool recovery but it needed to be earlier in the day. We took my 6 yr old out for his first expedition in Blue Mounds. It went good except for the crying that he had to climb hills.

The pool was awesome! Well worth the 2 bucks!

Tom Harron

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

July 02, 2012, 04:45 PM

1. I was apprehensive about having to ride back up to the top driving into the park, but the way we rode the trails was the funnest I have ever done it.  Besides, it was a short ride up the road from the pool to the top. Anybody that calls himself a mountain biker surely would have the strength, stamina, and skill to ride 300 yards up pavement.

I'm glad people liked riding that way. I assumed all were going back via Pokerville and/or Homestretch which to me seems easier than up the road but I know that can't be because you're riding farther and climbing more.

I'm glad a few who had not seen got to ride Pokerville. We need to support the effort to get it finished!

I can speak for the pool conditions. Family wanted a bike ride and pool recovery but it needed to be earlier in the day. We took my 6 yr old out for his first expedition in Blue Mounds. It went good except for the crying that he had to climb hills.

The pool was awesome! Well worth the 2 bucks!

Tom Harron

I think the pool is a big part of why my kids are always up for Blue Mound.