•  

Go ride!

February 26, 2014, 03:25 PM

If I remember right, the trails are open to all users.  If you put up a sign to ask people to not walk there, they will be the first to say the trails shouldn't be open in the winter.  The more people using the trails and enjoying them, the more allies you can have in the future when looking to build more. 

Maybe it's time to realize that it's a mountain bike and just sack up and ride.

Kidding aside, I agree. Any 'damage' that might be caused isn't likely to last more than a few days most of the time.  Along the same lines I've heard some systems are not allowing non-fat bikes on the trails in the winter because of the rutting in the snow but imho if 'skinny' tires make the occasional rut or two it's not worth raising a fuss over.

XXX

February 26, 2014, 03:55 PM

agreed.  signage would only be a negative impact over all.  btw, I did sack up and shredded that effing place for over 2 hrs grinning ear to ear the entire time.  I love riding that fat bike.  The occasional stop to throw back some Dr. McGill also helps.   ride on

XXX
    Gary S
    Board Member, co-Trail Steward Blue Mound SP
    Administrator

February 26, 2014, 04:16 PM

If your tires were fat enough, not only could you roll over the boot marks, but you could roll over the hiker making them as well.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

February 26, 2014, 09:10 PM

If I remember right, the trails are open to all users.  If you put up a sign to ask people to not walk there, they will be the first to say the trails shouldn't be open in the winter.  The more people using the trails and enjoying them, the more allies you can have in the future when looking to build more. 

Maybe it's time to realize that it's a mountain bike and just sack up and ride.

I tend to agree with this.
    I have been pondering this for a couple of years as well. Different areas have different issues.
    In Cable/Hayward they have separate trails for every user type. They also have thousands, or tens of thousands, of acres to build trails on. And the locals are few. They have expensive equipment to groom the fat bike trails. We have the opposite. Tons of people. Small areas for trails. Not enough room for separate trail systems.
    I have thought of trying to designate some trails as fat-bike only. Not sure it is worth the effort though. Prolly get farther with signage like Eau Claire uses that appoint out the trails in winter should be just like summer for trail damage. Please be courteous to the other users of the trail and stay off if they are soft enough to rut the trails or leave holes with your feet.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

February 27, 2014, 07:40 AM

I'm a rookie at this trail user conflict conversation so, opinions from others that have been around this longer and know some of the politics are greatly appreciated.

I don't want this to be some flame war or us/against them thing but, I had a few questions and comments that jump out at me.

How do places with small populations like Hayward and Houghton end up with expensive grooming equipment?

At Blue Mounds there are designated single use hiking trails, cross country ski trails and snowshoe trails with maintenance and signage provided by the state but, the mtb trails always allow multiple users. Maybe I'm being selfish but, I don't see the hikers, snowshoers or cross country skiers maintaining there own trails. Thanks Walt, Gary and other members!

The snow trails are so perfect for riding right now it will really hurt to see that one person go for a run and completely change the riding experience for the rest of us.

XXX

February 27, 2014, 08:15 AM

In my experience, trying to guide hikers onto/off-of trails is like herding cats. Hikers can be anyone from anywhere so 95% won't get the message, and it seems that almost none of them read signs, and those that do ignore them.

The same could be said for mountain bikers back in the day.

We have enough already on our plate. Lets pack the snow when we can, go ride, and start thinking about spring!

XXX

February 27, 2014, 08:26 AM

I plan on riding tonight AND tomorrow after 8pm.

XXX
    Walt Hougas
    Trail Steward - Blue Mound SP
    Trail Steward
    To Be A Man...

February 27, 2014, 08:43 AM

I'm a rookie at this trail user conflict conversation so, opinions from others that have been around this longer and know some of the politics are greatly appreciated.

I don't want this to be some flame war or us/against them thing but, I had a few questions and comments that jump out at me.

How do places with small populations like Hayward and Houghton end up with expensive grooming equipment?

At Blue Mounds there are designated single use hiking trails, cross country ski trails and snowshoe trails with maintenance and signage provided by the state but, the mtb trails always allow multiple users. Maybe I'm being selfish but, I don't see the hikers, snowshoers or cross country skiers maintaining there own trails. Thanks Walt, Gary and other members!

The snow trails are so perfect for riding right now it will really hurt to see that one person go for a run and completely change the riding experience for the rest of us.

I have no problem with putting up signs to ask users to stay off the trails in wet (summer) or soft (winter) conditions. Anyone who is offended by this is by definition, a selfish idiot and if anyone wants to oppose it, that's how I will frame it. I'm not going to get in front of this issue for snow biking because I spend enough time on trail issues at Blue Mound and it's past time for someone else to step up.

As far as "How do places like Hayward and Houghton end up with expensive grooming equipment?" the short answer is they have people who are willing to put in the time to build relationships with the decision makers, go to land use meetings, and organize fund raisers. To put it bluntly, there aren't enough people in the Madison area who are willing to do the work necessary to make it happen. We have more mountain bikers in this end of the state but too few willing to sacrifice their precious free time to make the most of the opportunities at hand.

While I've never heard it stated explicitly, I believe the state sees recreational trail issues mostly as a part of the tourism industry. There is a willingness to put dollars where tourists want to go, which is up north. The Madison area gets rail-to-trail and commuter bike paths because that's transportation.

Walt

XXX

February 27, 2014, 08:53 AM

I plan on riding tonight AND tomorrow after 8pm.

Nick, can't go tonight, but I'm in for Friday night 8pm-ish.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

February 27, 2014, 01:53 PM

Walt is spot on for where the big dollars come from for grooming equipment. My conversations with other groups say they are funded from two sources. Mostly from tourism dollars. Also from big spring "gala type" events where they raise many thousands of dollars.
    I have to confess I have never thought about trying to go after tourism dollars. An avenue we should at least explore to see if it has legs. Maybe others in CORP have done so?
    I think continuously promoting the idea that no one should be on a trails when it is soft is a good premise. It also makes it consistent year around. It might seem damage to trails when there is snow is only temporary. And sometimes that is true. It is also true that if you were to go out on soft trails now most of the ruts or potholes left would be temporary,but there are also bare areas where those ruts or potholes will be left in dirt and causing a lot of damage.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

May 08, 2014, 11:16 AM

This drop is now cleared and accessible. Go ride!

XXX

May 08, 2014, 11:46 AM

Nick, where is that located?  Sandy Bowl area?

~ Burn rubber

XXX

May 08, 2014, 04:07 PM

Nick, where is that located?  Sandy Bowl area?

Zactly!

Also, I will be riding there tonight @ 8:30pm.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 04:23 PM by Nick C. »

XXX

July 16, 2014, 04:09 PM

Ridin' tonight! 6:30ish

XXX

August 13, 2014, 02:54 PM

Ridin' tonight! 6:30ish