•  

New 29er or 2nd set of Wheels

Timmy
    I might be hurt, but is my bike ok?

March 12, 2015, 10:08 AM

I'm trying to decide if I should get a 2nd set of wheels (rims, Tries, Disc Brakes and rear cassette) or an other 29er for my paved path riding.
    Right now I'm running Bontrager XRs for single track and dirt trails
    Thoughts?

~ Adventure is the invitation to common people to become uncommon - Warren Miller

XXX

March 12, 2015, 11:24 AM

In my experience it's pretty hard to get a seamless transition between two wheelsets.  You need the rotors and cassette to be in the exact same place which is going to mean you'll need the exact same hubs, and even then, I've found that things still might not exactly line up (that said, my experience is mostly with lower end stuff that probably doesn't have the tightest tolerances).  Of course if you're fine with making a few adjustments every time you switch things over then it's no big deal.

XXX

March 12, 2015, 03:13 PM

Agreed that you need to be a little lucky to get everything to line up between two wheelsets, but it is very convenient if it works out.  I do this on my commuter to switch between winter tires and normal tires and it's nice to be able to quickly switch depending on the day and no adjustments are needed using completely different hubs and discs.  The only issue i have is the brakes squeal like banshees for a while after every switch, perhaps from the pads rebedding to the disc (just a guess).

XXX

March 13, 2015, 07:57 AM

Depending on the quality and size of 29er you would want, I happen to have one for sale, would probably make a great commuter or gravel-grinder!

XXX

March 13, 2015, 10:09 AM

For me this decision was all about money. I started out by swapping tires, then when I had enough dough I bought a second wheelset, then when I had even more cash I bought a bike to go with that second wheelset (my second bike was then a cross bike since 29er wheels are really 700c). So as I had more money things got more convenient.