•  

What bike to buy.

June 28, 2015, 06:46 PM

I come from doing a lot of bmx biking and wanted to get into mountain biking so I just bought an xcal 9 and am starting to have second thoughts on having a 29er. I will be doing most of my riding at quarry park and am looking for recommendations on a good bike.

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward

June 28, 2015, 10:21 PM

I come from doing a lot of bmx biking and wanted to get into mountain biking so I just bought an xcal 9 and am starting to have second thoughts on having a 29er. I will be doing most of my riding at quarry park and am looking for recommendations on a good bike.

Welcome.

A dropper post and different tires might do a lot to make what you have feel better.

The issue is probably not 29 inch wheels but the type of 29r bike. That Trek has racer style steep head angle and long chain stays compared to a modern all mountain type. Quarry Park trail steward Dan has a Nimble 9 (one of the coolest bikes ever) and I have a Honzo that are 29rs fun to ride there. The slack front and short chain stays make the bike feel great going down steep stuff and when you pop the front up or pump the bike.

Look at Trek's site and compare your X-Caliber to Stache and Stache + to see the geometry differences.

I have a bike in the classifieds here that's perfect for Quarry Park. It's a Transition Covert AM type bike but it's dual suspension. If you come from BMX you might like a dirt jumper type too.

Quarry Park Trail Steward Dan's 29r bike:

XXX

June 28, 2015, 11:19 PM

So I did some research and am thinking I am going to return the xcal 9 (it was an impulse buy... should've done more research) and purchase a taro rather than a honzo. I end up saving some money this way as well. Anyone have any input on this plan?

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward

June 29, 2015, 06:49 AM

So I did some research and am thinking I am going to return the xcal 9 (it was an impulse buy... should've done more research) and purchase a taro rather than a honzo. I end up saving some money this way as well. Anyone have any input on this plan?

The Taro is great too.

Major differences (Taro and Honzo) are the QR vs 142x12 hub, AL frame material, and fork. All fair when you consider the lower price.

Beware of chain ring size. I use a 30 tooth chain ring that is still not same as a granny gear but enough to get up big hills in the seat.

The market is full of many great choices and specialization so shop with care. These AM 29 bikes maximize what you can do. They are XC, BMX/DJ  and some monster truck in the same package.