•  

Global Fat Bike Day

augs
    Former President
    Board Member

November 22, 2015, 09:28 PM

The local observance of Global Fat Bike Day will be Saturday, Dec 5. from 2-5 pm at CamRock.  Headquarters will be CamRock Sport, with a couple stops, beer from Surly Brewing, and hopefully a few demo bikes.  Stay tuned for more details.

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

November 23, 2015, 10:34 PM

Plans are falling into place.  Route will be determined by the weather, but, regardless, there will be plenty of on and off bike fun at CamRock II:  Bonfire, food and drink, skills challenges.  We will keep you posted!

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

November 24, 2015, 06:37 PM

The flier:

« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 11:01 PM by Renegade Rick »

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

November 30, 2015, 09:36 PM

GFBD FAQ:

Do I need a fatbike?   No!  Ride any bike you want.  You may get some good-natured ribbing, but you will likely also have a chance to try a fatbike.  Machinery Row is sending out three Trek Farley's, and Pacific is sending a Mongoose Vinson.  These will be at CR II, available for short (15-30 minute) trials.

What about the weather?  Doesn't look so good for snow.  Pretty iffy for getting on single track, though if anything will dry out, CamRock will.  But there are grass ski-trails, gravel bike paths, and even some scenic country roads if we get desperate.  Regardless, there will be alot going on at CR II.

What is going on at CRII? Hard to predict. Revolution Cycles will be there, they said something about a giant cheeseburger. Expect some skills challenges, something to drink, perhaps a bonfire.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 10:23 PM by augs »

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

November 30, 2015, 11:23 PM

Oh there will be a bonfire. That I can confirm. And libations. We would not want anyone going thirsty....

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

December 03, 2015, 01:34 AM

Please make sure you join us at the start of the ride at CamRock Sport. 2p. With the weather, and some recent damage from the CX Race, there will be some areas we want to stay off with bikes.
    The actual route, and whether any singletrack will be suitable to ride will prolly be a last-minute decision based on scouting the morning of.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

December 05, 2015, 12:14 AM

An update for the ride:
     We were out doing lots of scouting tonight. Some great news! We WILL be riding singletrack! Not all of it mind you, but there is trail that will be ready to ride. A good amount for all bikes. And even more for fat bikes. Who would have thought on the 5th of December we will be riding any dry dirt?
     Anyway, please plan to be at CamRock Sport at 2p. We will have some maps to hand out at the start of the ride. We need to all be sensitive to where we can, and more importantly can't, ride. DCP has also done some restoration work just this week, and we need to make sure we all stay off those areas.
     And oh yeah, there was a keg of beer delivered as well if you are into that sort of thing. There will be some stops for libations (we would not want anyone getting dehydrated after all). And the rumors I am hearing of some personal favorites folks are bringing to share, will put some hair on your chest, no matter your sex ;-P
     Along with a fire, there will be fun and shenanigans at the CamRock II stop. I hear rumors of a cheeseburger, bikes to demo, and who knows what all else. With this bunch I would not be surprised if a donkey showed up.
    And don't forget that when we get back after our ride the CORP Annual Meeting will be just firing up. Another keg of beer, some snacks to munch on, a bunch of door prizes.....one of them is a free Fat Bike! https://www.facebook.com/events/859120460871888/
    And this goes right on into Beth Kille playing the rest of the night at CamRock Sport. http://www.bethkille.com/
    and we did not even talk about what is going on all weekend in Cambridge. It is Cambridge Country Christmas. Madrigal Singers, Hay Rides, cookie walks,all kinds of stuff to get into the Christmas spirit. http://www.cambridgewi.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Final-Poster.jpg
    I would just plan on spending the day if I were you!

~ Chuck Hutchens

« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 12:28 AM by TheMayor1 »

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

December 05, 2015, 07:08 AM

Awesome news!  Based on the amount of moisture in the ground where I am working I figured we would be lucky to get off pavement.

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

December 09, 2015, 06:31 PM

So I am a bit embarrassed. Though there were certainly trails in good shape to ride on Saturday, the prairie Connector trails were not. This trail should have been closed to riding. As it turns out, the wooded sections of trail were in good shape and the open areas were not. These trails were checked the day before and were in good shape. As a previous post stated, it is very hard to predict trail conditions this time of year. It turns out the open areas had gotten frost overnight and the dreaded freeze/thaw made then too soft to ride.
    That being said, the trails on Sunday were pretty decent. Only small areas that rutted or showed much damage. I appreciate the people who saw the conditions in the prairie and bailed. I hope you also found the good trails in the woods.
    As it turns out a couple of riders, one on a hybrid tire and another on a skinny mtb tire, rode either late Sunday or Monday. They did a lot of damage. Lots of ruts. And the soil must have been the perfect consistency as it was literally peeling up in chunks off their tires. I hope they get educated soon as to the damage they are causing.
    To that end, I am going to ask a favor. If you have a fat bike, I would love to get some fat tires on the trails to repair some of this damage. If you have ridden a fatty for long, you have noticed that in the right conditions a fat tire can actually heal a trail by smoothing ruts and compacting loose soil. It is supposed to rain Sunday, so it will prolly need to be done before then. I am going to open the trails to fat bikes only in the mean time.

~ Chuck Hutchens