•  

Lower Section of Climb Reroute

September 16, 2012, 06:02 PM

Hey everyone,

Update on the climb improvements.

Today Steve Kotajarvi and I finished the re-route of that quick and steep first section of the climb. It's much more gradual now and adds a decent amount of length to that section of trail. Have fun and let us know what you think!

For those that are concerned, we will not be closing off the main section of the sandy climb further up the hill so the challenge will still be there. However, we will be cutting an alternate line that is more sustainable and gradual.

Thanks,
    Tom Holaday

XXX

September 16, 2012, 08:38 PM

Way to get work done guys... thanks!  I just wanted add to the climb up options...
     A long climb on the south side of the trail system is possible (it once existed), it would add a counter-clockwise flow to the system.  This revamped climb would add mileage and please the masses if properly constructed.  There has been a lot of talk on other ways to access the top and I think it would be interesting to see what people think of a climb on the other side.  Back in 1999 this area was a open deer trail which was very rideable, this and the fire trail were the only clean ways to the top.  This area also offers great clay soils, gradual slope and would be easy to clear if someday approved.  With some grade reversals and proper engineering it would be an enjoyable climb up for just about every riding ability. 

Sorry to miss a work day out there!  Way to get after it!
    -Greg

XXX

September 16, 2012, 08:57 PM

I agree, that is a great option we could do in the future

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

XXX

September 17, 2012, 09:25 AM

Rode the park on Saturday. Will be interesting to get out there and check out the new line. I was surprised by the wood thing higher up on the climb to get you through the sand. That was kinda handy!

XXX

September 30, 2012, 07:34 PM

FINALLY got out to ride again today.  I was a tiny bit skeptical of what the re-route would be like, but it's awesome.  you guys did a really great job of finding a line up the hill that kept it fun to ride and doesn't feel like an afterthought type of re-route.  It flows well and feels natural.  Once it gets ridden more and the old one grows in a little, you'll never even know it was a re-route.  I wish I didn't always have to work when trail work days come up.  Thanks for putting in the hard work so that we can all have a great time riding while still maintaining a sustainable trail system!

XXX
    blackbike (Scot E)
    None more black

October 01, 2012, 01:10 PM

Tom and co - just got out there for the first time since this re-route was done, you guys did a really nice job.  I think the trail might self-tweak in a couple spots coming out of turns but this is a pretty big improvement in all aspects, even if it's just a small section of trail.  Looks like the re-route we should have taken a few years ago instead of the one we put in.

~ Look up on the wall baby, hand me down my shootin' iron.
    Call your mother long distance, tell her to expect your body home.

XXX

October 01, 2012, 04:59 PM

Thanks guys, good to hear it's working out well.

XXX

October 03, 2012, 11:29 AM

Love the new climb re-route, but I do have one issue/concern. At the bottom, right around the first hairpin there is like 3 or 4 large rocks that form the main line, but it seems a little sketchy and I think people will go wide to the left to avoid it, thereby widening the track or going to the right which is tight and really slows you down.

Maybe it'll just take a bit for some lines to form and burn in but I want to prevent anything unwanted before it's too late!

XXX

October 03, 2012, 01:49 PM

the rocks are there because of water flow when it rains I believe.  The issue will be keeping it built up with heavy use over time.  There is one or two spots after that on the climb that will need to be kept up as well, especially after heavy rains. 

~ Burn rubber

XXX

October 03, 2012, 07:57 PM

Rocks are good.  Rock armoring would really help the sandy bowl area.  It has become a bit of a sand trap over the years.

XXX

October 03, 2012, 08:10 PM

Yep, the rocks are necessary but will take some maintnence until they're well set. I agree though Aaron, there could be more dirt covering those first rocks.

XXX

October 03, 2012, 10:21 PM

I meant to post last week, but I finally rode at Quarry Ridge after 2.5 months and checked out the climb. You guys did a great job building the trail. It turned out better than what I envisioned when we scouted it. There are minor grade reversals and good sloping of the trail to remove water. It looks great, and I expect what was built to be a very sustainable trail.

The corners do have the rocks in that one spot, and they are a little hard to hit fast since they are a little tight. I think riding will wear it in and it is already naturally creating the curve in a more natural flow. I don't think any additional work is needed.

The next step: we need to get out there and dig a few diversions to stop the sand from washing down the trail. I should have some time next week in the evenings if someone would be interested in helping out. I don't think it would take very long.

XXX

October 04, 2012, 11:30 AM

Ok, thanks! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something or somebody else missed something. I guess we'll just have to wait for the trail to settle in a bit.

XXX

October 04, 2012, 02:33 PM

First post on this board.  Hi Guys.  I have been riding QR a bit this year.  (We talked once, Jeff, I am the old guy on the old yellow Gunnar.)  My evenings are busy with the two kids and all, but I will do my best to get up there to help on the trail one evening next week, best after 6.  Name a time and I will verify if I can do it. 

Edit:  I have been told that I have to go to a PTO thing Wednesday the 10th, so that evening is no good for me.

Chris

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 04:00 PM by knl2stl »

XXX

October 04, 2012, 04:55 PM

I can help most weekday evenings and always after dark.  I'll watch here for a time and night.