•  

Trail Conditions

February 25, 2015, 03:16 PM

When I was out yesterday things were getting icy anywhere the trail was packed and exposed to the sun.

Does a groomer fix this? If not, hopefully some of this snow will stick and grit it up.

On the bright side, plenty hard packed now for any bike, fat not required. Suds: ride 'em if you got em!

XXX

February 25, 2015, 04:46 PM

Things are a lot better than yesterday. The groomer breaks up the snow a good bit, takes off the high spots and fills the lows with the loose snow. It's still a little slick as all the snow has been pretty dry. Hopefully the snow tonight will add up and pack.

I broke the stock hitch arm when I was out there this afternoon. Going to fab up a center mount hitch tonight.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 08:55 AM by RaleighX »

XXX

March 04, 2015, 01:49 PM

Groomed both loops this afternoon. The snow still isn't the packy type, hopefully it sets up over night..

XXX

March 13, 2015, 01:52 PM

Please try and spread the word to stay off the trails...

XXX

March 13, 2015, 04:46 PM

It needs to be taped off.  I was on the paths with my 7 year old trying to explain to some people getting ready to enter that the trails should not be used.  It don't think they understood English and they didn't care anyway.  I can only get into it so far with my kid there.  (Although she snow shoed the trails a bit this winter and she said to them "it's uncool".)  Tape it off. 

XXX
    augs
    Former President
    Board Member

March 13, 2015, 05:09 PM

As accessible as the trail is to the general public, it is probably worth investing in a chain and a sign, like the one that is now the banner photo. 

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

March 13, 2015, 10:47 PM

Agreed. I am going to invest in putting some gates in at CamRock. Though we know that we can't control the trails on a daily basis, the amount of permanent damage that can be done in this couple of week period can be more than the rest of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

March 14, 2015, 08:53 AM

What about repurposing the gate that is at the south east corner of the property?

XXX

March 14, 2015, 09:10 AM

I taped it off yesterday, but we 'll need a more permanent solution. I like the gate/sign idea.

XXX

March 14, 2015, 06:28 PM

Nick,

Nice work!  Two suggestions:

1.  Print a big poster of your last picture with arrows pointing to the ruts.  Tell the trail poachers that their actions will require CORP to repair a lot of the trail and possibly force Dane County to close the trail permanently.  Put the poster next to the taped off area.  "Stay off until CORP says it is OK.  We worked very, VERY hard for this.  Don't screw it up for us!"

2.  We need to push riders to an alternative area to ride when the trails are muddy.  Madison Metro Sewage District gave an OK last year to ride in the wildlife observation area off Southtown Rd and Moorland Rd.  It is accessible from the Cap City Trail and roughly 2 miles away.  These are fire lane gravel roads that they plow all winter.  I know it is not single track or downhill, but it is outside, along the Yahara River, and indestructible.  OK, it is flat.  Give directions on the new poster.

Sorry I will miss the big fundraiser.  Not planning to leave the desert until temps exceed 110F.  Actually, that could be by March 28.

Bruce

XXX

March 16, 2015, 01:44 PM

Gravel you say? Indestructible you say? I'm all ears, especially when the limestone rail trails are still too soft to ride. 

Can you pinpoint where to access these trails? I would like to avoid riding into an area I'm not supposed to access, be it an area that would anger the wildlife, wildlife enthusiasts, or be filled with toxic sewer sludge.  Posting an image on the closed trail sign about where to find these alternatives might be helpful.

XXX

March 16, 2015, 02:28 PM

XXX

March 16, 2015, 02:57 PM

I am emailing Mike Mulcha, Director of MMSD, just to make sure he still approves.  Mike is a big biking advocate and MMSD won an award for commuting to work by bike.  Is there a CORP volunteer who would want to act as a liaison to MMSD?

Some links to the Wildlife Observation Area:  http://www.madsewer.org/Education/Bird-Observation-Area and

Park at the lot off Moorland Rd.  Get on the Cap City Trail and head towards Madison.  Approximately 500 feet is a fence/accessway.  It opens to the "sludge pits" and there is a kiosk with maps.

FYI, the sludge pits breached in the Seventies and Lake Waubesa and Lake Kegonsa were not too happy.    The pits were closed and all of the sludge removed and treated.  Now all the new sludge is stored in the big tanks on the other side of Southtowne Drive.  The sludge is loaded into trucks and spread on local farm fields as fertilizer.  The pits were retained to withhold rain water and are now open to birders, hikers, and hopefully mountain bikers.  It is a beautiful area and a great place for family rides.

XXX

March 16, 2015, 03:55 PM

Just emailed note to MMSD to confirm OK to use wildlife area.  Copied Lorman, Barber and Chaffin.  Good luck!  By the way, what is mud?

XXX

March 17, 2015, 07:40 AM

That is extremely helpful information!  Thank you very much