•  

Trail Groomer.....

March 04, 2015, 04:12 PM

Quarry Ridge was pretty rutted up and loose last night before I groomed. The uphills were pretty ripped up from bikes, especially in the corners and steeper sections. The tracked machine packed it right down. You need pressure to pack snow (just like a snowmobile or CC ski drag). For bikes, you need the trail compacted to several psi, much higher than you need for skis. That's why the snowshoes work so well since they are close to the compaction of a bike tire.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 04:32 PM by jeffb »

XXX

March 04, 2015, 05:04 PM

Quarry Ridge was pretty rutted up and loose last night before I groomed. The uphills were pretty ripped up from bikes, especially in the corners and steeper sections. The tracked machine packed it right down. You need pressure to pack snow (just like a snowmobile or CC ski drag). For bikes, you need the trail compacted to several psi, much higher than you need for skis. That's why the snowshoes work so well since they are close to the compaction of a bike tire.

I actually rode right after you groomed and...... ran out of there all quickly? ??? ...Top Secret eh.. haha. The snow was still really loose and kind of slick. The section you didn't get to since your chain broke that I groomed earlier in the day was actually in better shape. I think the snow had a chance to set up a bit since I groomed it at 1. I also wonder if the snowmobile track doesn't break up the already compacted snow some.

My groomer weights about 60 lbs.... so less than yours but it is also spread out over a much smaller surface area. The compaction rate seems to be very close to one another.

Having the ability to corduroy the snow would really help. This increases the surface area and lets it set up faster.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 05:07 PM by RaleighX »

XXX

March 04, 2015, 05:07 PM

QR was likely a different groomer...depending on when you rode there. Jeff has been out at QR with his new motorized unit.

I groomed Monday and Tuesday afternoon, Jeff was out there Tuesday night....

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

March 04, 2015, 10:02 PM

Gotcha. Didn't realize you were hitting both spots. All of the new grooming capabilities are pretty awesome though. Great ingenuity from both of you!

XXX

March 04, 2015, 10:19 PM

Gotcha. Didn't realize you were hitting both spots. All of the new grooming capabilities are pretty awesome though. Great ingenuity from both of you!

Hopefully if we start early in the season next year we'll have some awesome fast groomed singletrack

XXX

March 04, 2015, 11:00 PM

And if we get some snow early in the season! The trails are going to be so awesome next year.

XXX

March 05, 2015, 01:15 PM

what ever happened to Trek grooming camrock.  did that ever happen?  prob never needed to considering the snow this year.

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

March 05, 2015, 01:23 PM

I think there were some legal issue to iron out concerning operation of a snow mobile in the park. That and rerouting areas where a snow mobile wouldn't fit.

XXX
    Colin519

March 05, 2015, 05:58 PM

I just rode QR today about 315pm.  Wow the groomer did wonders, a really nice path all the way around the whole tails.  VERY VERY good job.   8)

XXX

March 05, 2015, 06:19 PM

I just rode QR today about 315pm.  Wow the groomer did wonders, a really nice path all the way around the whole tails.  VERY VERY good job.   8)

Great to hear our efforts are being noticed!

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 11:06 PM by RaleighX »

XXX
    TheMayor1
    Trail Steward - CamRock
    Trail Steward
    608-772-7833

March 08, 2015, 12:28 AM

what ever happened to Trek grooming camrock.  did that ever happen?  prob never needed to considering the snow this year.
    The last I heard was that the agreement between DCP and Trek was still tied up in the Trek legal department. I assume that is where it still is, but that is a big assumption, because the last communication/response I got on this subject was on January 30.
    I think the real answer is that we can't rely on others for this in the next year. We need to be working on our own solution.

~ Chuck Hutchens

XXX

March 08, 2015, 11:31 AM

The last I heard was that the agreement between DCP and Trek was still tied up in the Trek legal department. I assume that is where it still is, but that is a big assumption, because the last communication/response I got on this subject was on January 30.
    I think the real answer is that we can't rely on others for this in the next year. We need to be working on our own solution.

Planning on making an exact copy of this, in addition to my current groomer. We got this...

http://reviews.mtbr.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Caruthers-Groomer.jpg

XXX

March 08, 2015, 03:28 PM

XXX

March 08, 2015, 03:32 PM

wrong info... Duluth wants one...

XXX
    Nate W.
    Club Raconteur

March 08, 2015, 03:42 PM

Jeff's is similar to this...