•  

Update on Blackhawk Trail Development

Patrick Remington
    Blackhawk
    Consider the penalty for failure, dude

April 05, 2015, 12:24 PM

We're starting Phase 2 of our trail development plan. We completed Phase last fall (an easy flow trail in the East Pines) last fall. Our current project is developing a loop trail in the Middle Section, that will connect the East and West sides of the property.

I've attached a figure showing the status as of 4/5/2015. If you're interested in learning more about the trails, or our plans, please contact me at plremington@gmail.com

Pat Remington
    Chair, Blackhawk Mountain Biking Cmte

~ Pat Remington
    Blackhawk trail steward and mountain bike committee chair. Ski Club Past President.

XXX
    Patrick Remington
    Blackhawk

April 13, 2015, 06:56 AM

We're making great progress on the new trail in the middle section of Blackhawk. See attached.

If you're interested in biking there, memberships are now available online at: http://www.blackhawkskiclub.org/membership/membership-types/  It's only $25/season for individuals, and $50 for an entire family.

If you'd like to help out, come out this Saturday, April 18th between 8 AM and noon. Bring work gloves, and a shovel and/or rake.

Pat Remington

~ Pat Remington
    Blackhawk trail steward and mountain bike committee chair. Ski Club Past President.

XXX
    semperteneo
    Carpe diem!

April 16, 2015, 09:48 PM

Signed up and hit the trails today.  Query:  is there an intent to mark the trails more productively?  Having been my first time, there's no real way to know if I was heading the wrong way down a trail (or up), where some trails were, etc.

The map helps, now that I've been there.  I also intend on going back often, but I was curious because after digging up some others' Strava routes I notice a lot of other people have the same issue (looks like they're riding out looking for more trail, only to turn around, etc.

Also, a runner I met there mentioned time trials.  Is that going to happen again this year?

Many thanks for the work you are doing there.

~ 'Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it.'  ~ Buddha

XXX
    Patrick Remington
    Blackhawk

April 17, 2015, 02:25 PM

Q: Signed up and hit the trails today. 
    A: GREAT!  You won't regret this!

Q:  is there an intent to mark the trails more productively?  Having been my first time, there's no real way to know if I was heading the wrong way down a trail (or up), where some trails were, etc.
    A: You're right--the trails have no markings. We have ordered the trail signs, and will post them as soon as they arrive. Thanks for the feedback!

Q: The map helps, now that I've been there.  I also intend on going back often, but I was curious because after digging up some others' Strava routes I notice a lot of other people have the same issue (looks like they're riding out looking for more trail, only to turn around, etc.
    A: We are hoping to get the trails marked very soon. And with our new Mini-Ex, we'll have great new trails to ride soon.

Q: Also, a runner I met there mentioned time trials.  Is that going to happen again this year? Many thanks for the work you are doing there.
    A: The ChainSmokers ran time trials on Wed nights for many years. They tapered off over the past few years. I will check to see if there are plans to run them again this year. Stay tuned!  Thanks for your feedback, and suggestions!  Pat Remington

~ Pat Remington

XXX
    semperteneo
    Carpe diem!

April 17, 2015, 03:14 PM

Fantastic on all fronts!  There's a lot of potential, and being close to my work I'm looking forward to the progress (I got myself a sneak peak the other day).

Thanks!

~ 'Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it.'  ~ Buddha

XXX
    Patrick Remington
    Blackhawk

April 21, 2015, 08:00 AM

We're planning trail work and a ride this Sunday, April 26th. Come from 11-2 to help work on the trails (shovel and a rake, and work gloves is all that's needed). Then plan to ride from 2-4.

Hope to see you there. I've attached the most up-to-date trail development map.

~ Pat Remington

XXX
    qwiksilvr00

April 22, 2015, 02:45 AM

Do we need to be a paid CORP member to assist with this?

XXX
    Patrick Remington
    Blackhawk

April 22, 2015, 07:05 AM

To bike (and ski) at Blackhawk, you have to be a member. A summer membership (i.e., from when the trails open in April until they close in November) costs $25 per individual, and $50 for an entire family. See: http://www.blackhawkskiclub.org/membership/membership-types/

Come out on Sunday to check out the trails, and I am sure that you'll agree that it's well worth the membership fee.

You don't need to be a member of CORP, although we strongly encourage all riders to support their local IMBA chapter.

Pat Remington

~ Pat Remington

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

May 10, 2015, 09:30 AM

The progress continues. The first 4 stages of major rebuild are nearing completion.

The plate compactor is not exactly easy to move up and down a ski hill but you could tell just by walking that you've created a better surface immediately. If you know the or all old school trails note the new trail cut the old fall line trail in second photo.

Put the May 17 open house on your calendar.

XXX
    imwjl
    Middleton Bike Park Trail Steward
    Trail Steward

July 26, 2015, 09:04 AM

Machine work today approx 9 - 2. Combine a nice ride with a little time doing finish work and the great will get greater. Right now Chad's working on the downhill part of Howling Wolf trail. Of course limited by size but think in terms of some Copper Harbor, Duluth and Marquette in Madison.

Get out if only to ride. Combine BH and PV and you have an easy 6 - 11 mi ride.

:)